Remedies for Cold Sores

Category Home Remedies
Cold sores are not only painful but unsightly. In addition to prescription drugs, there are several home remedies that can help relieve the symptoms of these viral lesions. This is a guide about remedies for cold sores.

I worked part time for a pediatrician who had a phenomenal memory for all sorts of trivia. I came to work one morning with the tingle of a beginning cold sore and was not happy about it. He told me not to bother buying expensive medications for it, just to get an ice cube and hold it to the sore spot for a few seconds, till it got too cold. Then, when it warmed again, repeat on and off for about 5-10 minutes. He promised it wouldn't get any worse.

He was absolutely right. Ever since then, on the rare occasion when I get one, it never grows any bigger than it was when I first started treating it with the ice. I used to get huge old sores that took forever to heal but not any more. My friends have had the same results.

Be careful to take the ice off every few seconds so as not to damage your skin. Keep it on for about 10-15 seconds, then allow your skin to warm before applying the ice again and never longer than 5-10 minutes all told.

By Tina from Ventura, CA

I am so relieved to hear of so many other people with cold sores on this page, not that they are good things. But it's nice to know that I am not the only one that gets these horrible things. I've gotten them since I was little and they seem to just run in my family, out of three kids, I got to be the only lucky one who gets them, however my dad, grandma, and uncle get them as well. The thing I hate the most about them is that I feel like everyone looks at me like I'm so disgusting for getting them, but there really isn't much I can do about it :/ and there really is no great way of hiding them. Hopefully some of these will work, I just put alcohol on it and although it stung a little, I think it will help dry it up. Thanks for the tips.

I have successfully been using a simple and small application of Campho-Phenique gel mixed with a few granules from an L-Lysine capsule when, and now infrequently, that I have the first indication of a cold sore/fever blister. You can experience healing effects overnight.

It has substantially reduced the frequency as well as remarkably shortened the duration of the lesion. I'm trying to remember the last time I had a sore. I used to have them regularly even though I was taking L-Lysine orally.

My daughter told me that L-Lysine used regularly had adverse effects. As I was already using the Campho-Phenique gel, I added the L-Lysine, and voila! It worked, better than I imagined.

My Dr had me take Lysine the first time I had an outbreak of shingles. He Sid it calmed the nerve endings. Seemed to work with no side effects.

Ingredients

• 1 tsp. Bactine
  • 1 tsp. rubbing alcohol

Directions

Apply to fever blister/cold sore 4 times per day with a Q-tip at first sign of a tingle. The active ingredient in Bactine is benzalkonium chloride. It works wonders. Bactine also has a numbing ingredient also so it takes away the discomfort to boot.

It will change your life!

I love your site and I actually have something to add. I find a lot on your site. Thank you!

By Julie

L-Lysine works like a charm and also relieves the pain of shingles.

For a home remedy for fever blisters on your mouth, make a paste with a drop of water and meat tenderizer. Dab the paste onto the blister.

When you first start to feel the uncomfortable tingle start applying ice to the infected area on and off till the cube has melted. Afterward pat dry.

I am a Dental Hygienist and was told this by a Dentist. It worked great for me and many people I have informed. As soon as you notice a fever blister coming up on your lip, put vitamin E on it, and use it often.

Dealing with Cold Sores. To stop cold sores from coming, dab some tincture of Myrrh on the area often. . .

About three months ago, my relationship of four and a half years picked me up from the airport and he welcomed me with a kiss on the mouth and that day we kissed several times. Then the day after that, I noticed that on his bottom lip he had a blister, which I instantly recognised as a cold sore, because my mother gets them quite often so I knew what it was. He answered "yes, I think so" like nothing was going on. Because I knew how infectious this is and that kissing is forbidden while it's active, I was furious in fact of how reckless he could be, since he kissed me and he gave me oral sex that day, before I had noticed that.

So after discussing this with him, the reason he didn't tell me he had that was because he didn't know I could get infected by kissing, because his mother had it and he thought it is something normal. Also, he never got treatment in the past because he thought it's not important. He adviced me too, that I shouldn't worry because he, in his 30 years of life, only got it a couple of times so I should assume I would too. My mother however gets it many times a year, I told him that. 3 months later, I got my first cold sore on my bottom lip and he is the one who gave it to me.

Apparently, this happened because he was uninformed about it (his family didn't tell him to be careful, he never asked a doctor about it, etc.), he also paid for my medication and I shouldn't be mad about it because he didn't know. But I am seriously upset. I will have this for the rest of my life. And me like my mother, and unlike him, get frustrated very often (one of the factors cold sore gets activated). Also I am anxious that it might be transmitted onto my genitals since that day he gave me oral sex.

Q1:Is there a test that will show if he gave me genital herpes (of the same form as the lip herpes, not the other one) through oral sex?

Q2: Do you think I should be mad with him forever? I want to forgive him, but I can't imagine how somebody can be so irresponsible.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

The webpages I am going to post below, are just a few of the many I found on the reasearch I did before posting here and I really hope you read them too. They are related on the different types of Herpes. Once you read them you will understand that zoster is only one of the many types of herpes. HHV1: Also known as Herpes Simplex Virus 1 (HSV -1) and it causes oral herpes also known as cold sores. HHV2: Also known as Herpes Simplex Virus 2 (HSV  2) and it causes genital herpes. HHV3: Also known as Varicella Zoster Virus (VZV) and it causes chickenpox when people are infected with it for the first time.

It is also very contagious unfortunately, we don't all "have it in us" as you say. I hope you'll find the webpages below useful!

https://herpesv  86/2042-4280-3-5

http://www.geni  l-genital-herpes

http://www.asha  pes/oral-herpes/

Oh, another thing to avoid is spicy or salty things. I would always get a sore after having wasabi flavored almonds. The combination of salt and spice always seemed to irritate my mouth and lips and, boom, a blister would start to form. I avoid them now.

Great explanation. I have the mouth sores. I got it from an uncle. I learned never to kiss anyone when I had a sore. A couple of days before the sore comes out I get a tingling sensation on my lip. The sore always comes out in the same spot. I used to get them often and they would spread across my lip. Fortunately, as I got older it's becoming less and less of an issue.

What's the best thing to to treat fever blisters?

By Shannon from Philadelphia, PA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Years ago, I got cold sores a lot, in fact for over a year I had one someplace constantly on my lip and then got an ulcer and started taking Tagamet. During the time I took it, I didn't have one. years later there is a medical white paper that says Tagamet for cold sores. Start taking when you feel the tingling and then I take one 2 times a day for several days, sometimes I don't get one and if I do, it never lasts as long.

First sign of a cold sore and I reach for my Tea Tree Oil! dip a Q-tip in a diluted solution (5-10%) of water and tea tree oil and apply 2-3 times a day a more. try like mad not to touch the sore and if you have an accompanying fever, use Tylenol as directed. you can also use liquid band-aid over the sore as well. remember, fever blisters are cold sores and they are contagious. wash your hands often and don't touch your cold sore! Tea tree oil works much faster than anything else I have used.

Doctors are now recomending L-Lycine. You can buy it over the counter in the pharmacy. 1000 units a day is recommended. It also works for shingles.

Fever blister? I can't remember which one is on the lips? I've got a big one on my lower lip. Does anyone have a good home remedy? It never tingled or hurt. There's a slight itch and it's sore. Thanks for any help.

Ellen from Maricopa, CA

Answers:

Fever Blister Remedies

Try holding plain (no flavor, no sweetening) yogurt in your mouth several minutes, three times a day. (01/03/2007)

By

Fever Blister Remedies

Your chemistry is out of whack. The yogurt may work for a time, but unless you follow up internally with what makes it work, Acidophiles W/FOS, your fever
blister will just come back. You have your PH out of balance and the Acidophiles/yogurt plan will work
together, and should be cleared in a week. Then, reduce the amount of hot teas, fruit juices, fresh fruits, tomatoes, and coffee you drink at least by half or more. Take one capsule a day and you will not only lose the fever blister, your whole body will
have a strengthened immune system and you will Feel overall better! I take about three a week
and then daily should my PH get out of balance. God bless you. : ) (01/03/2007)

By Lynda

Fever Blister Remedies

Hi Ellen,
I feel for you! I've been there! ;(
Try using a Q-tip with some rubbing alcohol on it, if u are out of alcohol, try using a q-tip soaked in perfume. Perfume has alcohol in it. Just dab the cold sore; not the whole lip, because that will just spread the cold sore! It sounds crazy, but it does help dry-out the cold-sore, so it lasts less long, or in some cases, if u get it early enough, it won't even come to the surface.

Stress is a big No-No, that is often the reason I get cold-sores. My lips are telling me to chill-out! So try to relax, do NOT focus on the cold-sore, as hard as it may be. Try to ignore it completely.

If this happens frequently, get a prescription for Valtrex. It has done wonders for me! I used to get them 5 to 7 times a year, and I mean really bad ones that covered my whole mouth! My nephew used to be terrified of me. I used these Valtrex pills during 2 break-outs, and now I only get them once a year! Don't ask me how it works, but I got my whole family using Valtrex, and they are also amazed; it works miracles!
Good luck Hun!
Sandi! (01/04/2007)

By Sandi

Fever Blister Remedies

When you feel a fever blister coming, apply ice wrapped in a paper towel directly to the area for at least 30 minutes. This will greatly reduce the blister and itching. I use Herpecin L on my lips until it is completely healed. I have found this product eliminates the itching and the pain. You can but it at Wal-mart.
Jazzylazzy (01/06/2007)

By Jazzylazzy

Fever Blister Remedies

I get fever blisters all the time and usually I end up having a very painful experience and end up having to (sorry but) squeezing the fever out of it and applying some camphor phenique on it to dry it out but I also find that after it is dried out it doesn't hurt as bad and goes away in almost 48-72 hours. But if anyone can tell me a quicker way. Please tell me because these things are killing me. (01/20/2007)

By help

Fever Blister Remedies

It may not be homeopathic but I go to the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist for Lactenex (prob spelled wrong here) It is a little bottle of chewable pills (you chew 4 about 3 times a day) and they need to be kept in fridge. When I was little our pharmacist gave them to my dad and they always work for me. Usually takes about 3 or 4 days to clear up. (11/11/2007)

By Momof3kids

Fever Blister Remedies

Tanic acid is a natural astringent. At the first sign, take a tea bag and make tea, then take the used teabag at the hottest temperature you can handle, and use it as a compress. It does an awesome job of keeping it from getting big and dries it out almost overnight. Sorry this is so late.(03/05/2008)

By yankgirl

Fever Blister Remedies

Someone told me today to try Listerine and apply it with a q tip. I am going to try that and see what happens. (03/30/2008)

By Janice

Fever Blister Remedies

My sister and I get fever blisters all the time and she came across this remedy. It is gonna sound nasty but we do this and it really works. You own earwax. Not sure how or why it works but it does. If you are lucky enough to feel that tingle and apply the earwax right away it may not come up at all or it will be just a tiny red spot. (03/30/2008)

By kiki@home

Fever Blister Remedies

Try using ice as much as you can, and take ibuprofen. Good luck (07/24/2008)

By lindsey

Fever Blister Remedies

A dermatologist told me that a good household "drying agent" was deodorant/anti-persperant. Put a little bit (roll-on or spray works best) on a q-tip and apply to the area. Looks, smells, and feels gross - but it dries up the wretched thing. I always tell my children that scabs are God's band-aids. (08/04/2008)

By Suzanne B.

Fever Blister Remedies

So I just read through all these posts and some are good, others aren't! I have gotten FB's since I was a small child and still do, 20 years later. I've come up with a system that works really well for me. As soon as you feel "the tingle", ICE down your lip/mouth area (a lot). This is where it gets a bit bad but it really speeds up the healing. When the blisters form take a pin/needle and while holding a napkin poke the sides of each tiny blister and dab up the virus with the napkin/tp. (its important to not let the liquid get anywhere bc that's how they spread.

By getting the liquid out they dry up a lot faster and scab over immediately. I take Famvir as soon they pop up and its like Valtrex but a little stronger. This healing process should take no longer than four days but just letting them heal on their own is usually double the time. Hope this helps anyone who reads this. (09/05/2008)

By Steven

Fever Blister Remedies

I've had fever blisters my whole life and have tried many things to make them go away quicker. The best thing that I have found is a prescription from the doc! However I haven't had any medical insurance since I've moved out of my parents house and have had to do what I could to get by. I've tried L-lysine which does work sometimes. If you get a sore in your mouth and it's swollen taking a L-lysine pill and holding it against it makes it basically go away I've found. It usually comes back, but after doing it for awhile I don't notice it anymore.

Sometimes I hold the pill in my mouth and hold it there till the pill dissolves. As for the ones on your lips and nose it's basically a free for all. Some of them go away faster than others with the same remedies I don't understand why or how, but it happens. I recently got a rather large one on the bottom edge of my lower lip and it goes down to almost the indent before my actual chin.

My problem is that I grow hair there so it's harder to heal up because the growing hairs keep pushing through the blisters. I'm on my second day with this thing and it's already dried up. I personally usually don't like it to open because in all actual reality it heals faster if it's kept closed because once it's opened it's more like a sore now so it's going to scab over and probably crack open and bleed at some point in time.

What I did this time though was make a paste. I first used ice before I realized it was bigger than where I was holding the ice. The ice did help that part stay down and go away. Once I noticed the rest I used this camphor gel stuff from walmart that helps with itching and stuff. After a few hours I became worried because I have a dental visit next Tuesday so I wanted this thing gone!

I then made a paste of several things. I used the camphor, neosporin, ground acidophiles, ground L-lysine, and a Vitamin B supplement crushed along with some corn starch. I mixed all this up and applied it. I kept it on for about 5 hours then used a napkin to take it all off. I then only applied the camphor gel for about 4 hours. Before bed I cleaned that off took some corn starch and put it on it and covered that with the paste that I had made and slept with it.

I woke up this morning and cleaned it off. The swelling was almost completely gone by then. I used the camphor again for a few hours then went back to the paste for a few more hours. I cleaned it off a few hours ago and haven't put anything on it. Well it's completely dried up and it doesn't itch, burn, or hurt. I know it's still there though, but it's not a blister anymore it's just scabbed over.

I'm going to apply the paste before bed again and hopefully by tomorrow it will be a lot better! I hope this post helps someone out though. I do anything I can think of that might help it so maybe this will help! (01/15/2009)

By barcodenation

Fever Blister Remedies

Kiki is right...it sounds really nasty, but your own earwax works like a dream. My 15 year old boy gets them and we were buying the $18.00 Abreva and were broke so I ask an old timer down the road if he had any ideas. Earwax he says and I gave him a weird look and he laughed at me and said "just don't lick ya lips, youngin" This is the same fella I took my kids to when they got thrush, e blew in their mouth and within 2 days it was gone we had tried all kinds of medicines.

It is funny how God has gave us every thing we need to care for ourselves without modern medicines. Another nasty...urine is said to be a real cure all. Best of luck from Seagrove, NC (01/20/2009)

By BluHeelerz

Fever Blister Remedies

Okay here is a new one! I know this will sound weird but get some toothpaste such as Aquafresh, the toothpaste itself must be "white" I don't know why. put it on your fever blister before it has been busted! sleep with it on. I have for 2 days now and it is almost invisible. I don't know if I just lucked up this time and have a very small one, but when I felt it begin to tingle I got me some toothpaste and put it on it for the rest of the night then the following night. It is working for me. Also a great remedy to drying out acne or zits! This is why I tried it on the dreaded fever blister! Hope it works for someone else. (01/27/2009)

By dixonchic

Fever Blister Remedies

Try dabbing a q-tip in bleach and hold it on there for bout a minute, stings a little but gets the job done. I think anything that will dry it up is the key. (02/15/2009)

By blister king

Fever Blister Remedies

I Just recently had a fever and and a head ache. Usually I will get fever blisters when that happens. What I did was pop the blisters a little then spread rubbing alcohol on it, it might sting a little but it is totally worth it! But make sure you don't use chapstick or lip gloss in the time you have one, even though it might disguise it for the time being, it really is just making it worse, because it is creating a wet moist environment for the infection! (02/15/2009)

By

Fever Blister Remedies

I have used Lysine to attack the problem from the inside and recently switch to a Zinc supplement since it supports the immune system. Topically, I use an over the counter Benzocaine 20% which you can purchased as an oral jel for canker sores. There is a jel and a paste. I prefer the jel, even if it is an orange color. The Benzocaine topically deadens the itchiness, heat, and sometimes even prevents the blisters from developing. Use a clean q-tip each time even to the point of turning the q-tip and using the other end when removing the ointment from the tube. Prevents cross contamination. (02/19/2009)

By Benh

Fever Blister Remedies

I've been getting fever blisters since I was a small child so I've tried all kinds of things to speed up the healing process. What works best for me is regularly taking Lysine and applying a paste that e make myself mixing a few things together. I use a mixture of Abreva, Vick's chest rub, white toothpaste, Blistex, and Campho Phenique. Sounds odd but it works every time for me. (01/04/2010)

By Sally89

For a cold sore to heal faster, use the tip of your finger, lick it or wet it lightly under a faucet and dip it in alum, which is a common seasoning (spice).

Tips and ideas for treating cold sores.

I need help finding a treatment that works for cold sores.