Remedies for Cracked Fingertips

Many people suffer from cracked fingertips due to dry skin, particularly during the cold winter months. There are several remedies that can help treat this painful condition. This is a guide about remedies for cracked fingertips.

December 31, 2012 Flag

The tips of my fingers get small cracks in the skin. Hand creams do not solve the hurtful problem. I will appreciate any healing methods you can advise.

By Ruth

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have found the most healing solution for cracked hands or feet is Bag Balm. It is a combination of petroleum jelly (vaseline) and lanolin. Originally for use on cow utters, so you know it must be safe for your hands. Can be found in most any drug store in a square green tin can. peggyan

I have the same problem. A couple of things have worked sometimes. One: wrap a bandaid around the tip of the finger in the evening and leave it on overnight. Sometimes this will give the crack enough time to start healing. Usually the bandaid is inconvenient to wear during the day or will fall off during activities.

Two: Superglue on the crack. This will work on a crack that is not in an area that is pressed frequently like the very tip of the index finger. On that area the glue will wear off quickly, but you could try it and see.

Three: Cut the end off a latex or plastic glove or use a small balloon. Put that over the affected finger. The moisture will help the crack heal and will allow you to use the finger without much pain. Keep it on until the crack heals. You can remove it for bathing etc, but put a new one on right after.

Put on a dab of Noxzema on the crack and cover with a Band-Aid. Do this over night.

Mix @ 10 to 15 drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil into1/2 cup coconut oil and rub into finger tips. If you can find them, cotton gloves worn over night after putting this on.

Bag Balm is the way to go! I agree!

My dad used to get those cracks on his fingertips a lot. He went to a doctor and was diagnosed with eczema. I found out not too long ago that I also have this. The dermatologist prescribed a cortisone cream for it that clears it up very well.

Get some pure lanolin, it works well to heal hands. I get those cracks as well and since I've started using lanolin, they actually healed. I put extra on mist before bed.

I get terrible cracks in my fingertips in the winter. Especially as it gets colder, more moisture is drawn from the air. So I have found it an absolute necessity to put a pan of water on the stove or use a humidifier in the winter to add the moisture back into the atmosphere. The 5 qt. pan of water is not boiling or even simmering. I set it on the back of the stove over a low flame, and it slowly evaporates. I fill it in the morning and in the evening and keep it going day and night, when it's 20 degrees or below. It has made a world of difference. I still get a crack once in a while. Then I go back to putting a dab of ointment on the crack and a band-aid, over night, and it seems to heal fairly quickly.

I use udder cream (same as bag balm). I buy it at WalMart. The brand is Udderly Smooth. I was getting long splits that were very deep. I would have multiples on each finger. I tried gluing them but the super glue only stayed for a few minutes. Since I have been using the udder cream, I have only had a few minor splits. I take several times a day and put some in my hand and then rub around the end of each finger. Then I do both hands.

Health & Beauty Home RemediesJune 8, 2013
Homemade Finger Paint
Homemade Finger Paint
removing a ring
Removing a Ring That is Stuck on Your Finger
Pipe Cleaner Bunny Finger Puppets
Making Pipe Cleaner Bunny Finger Puppets
Finger Puppets
Making Finger Puppets
🎉
🎄