Remedies for Itchy Skin

Remedies for Itchy Skin
Soothing the irritation and stopping the itch, helps the skin to heal. This guide is about remedies for itchy skin.

One of the best treatments around for really bad rashes and skin irritation is liquid Maalox, the stuff you use for indigestion. When my friend was in the hospital ICU, she had horrible, uncontrolled diarrhea and bed sores, which literally left her skin raw and bleeding.

When I have allergic rashes and all else fails for relief, I use cold black tea compresses! This is especially good for around the eyes where most other remedies are too harsh!

To stop an itch, crush many aspirin, put in apple cider vinegar and shake. Apply and itch subsides quickly.

For years I've worn running shoes and suffered the consequences with itchy feet. Lately, however, I've discovered a cheap and easy secret for keeping my feet clean and itch free. Use one drop of ultra Palmolive dish soap. Specifically, the anti-stress, aromatherapy, Lavender and Ylang Ylang Palmolive soap. Rub it on your feet before going to bed at night. It dries quickly, stops itchy feet, smells nice and it washes off in the shower.

By Joseph from Laval West, Laval Quebec

My husband suffers from severely itchy skin. I've tried expensive soaps and sprays, but they haven't worked. Any other ideas? Thank you!

Kris from Randolph, MA

Anonymous

Hi,

I recommend at good acidolphlius supplement as well as Aveeno bath and moisturizer products.

Food allergies often cause itchy skin. Read labels carefully and eliminate all wheat and modified food starch ingredients for a week and see how you feel.

Itchy skin also can be caused by an overgrowth of yeast. Probiotics are good for this as well as cutting back on sugar and related sweeteners.

You didn't say if you have dry skin. If you do, limit hot showers and apply a good moisturizer like Aveeno or Aquaphilic, which is sold mostly through pharmacies --no prescription needed.

Hope this helps.

I discovered a few years ago that I have a topical allergy to alcohol. I have to look really carefully for skin care products. Te label will tell you if there is alcohol in it. Most perfumed products will have some as a preservative. Hypo allergenic baby oil, soap and shampoo might help. Walgreen's carries a wonderful alcohol free baby line. You might also want to do a net search for a company called Pharmaceutical Specialties. These are dermatologist recommended products and they will send you free samples before you order.

I also have very itchy skin and unfortunately passed it on to my children and grandchildren.. It has a fancy sounding name, which basically tells us own skin is very tough and does not fall off (or shed)and regenerate as often as normal folk. This means we get clusters of these white filled bumps which do not have heads. They normally feel itchy and tight and a quick squeeze will expell some white cheesy matter....which does give some relief! Well, I have finally discovered a cream that calms down the horrible itching!! It's called "Eucerin" Calming Creme.It has a clean, nuetral odor. An 8 oz bottle cost around $7 at WalMart or WalGreen. Hope it helps you like it does me.

It sounds as though he is using something that is causing an allergic reaction. I'd advise getting him tested for allergies - from food to clothing to shampoos and household cleaners. Good luck!

I suffer from severe itching also and have found hot showers to help. One thing I have found is tea tree oil by itself or added to a little unscented lotion (I use a homemade goats milk lotion I buy from someone on EBAY). The tea tree oil by itselt is very strong smelling and you may feel a tingling sensation on your skin. If you are sensitive, add some to the lotion and then apply it. Also Benedryl makes a clear gel that is good for itchy skin. Good luck, I remeber hearing somewhere though that chronic itching is a sign of kidney or liver problems, so you may want to look into it further.

He probably should see a dermatologist.

I've had itchy skin for three yrs. now and the allergist can't seem to find a cause. I've had many skin tests and was even referred to a cancer specialist and had a bone marrow biopsy to check for a type of leukemia that causes itchy skin. Thankfully, that test was negative. No one seems to know what is causing the itching, and it gets to the point that it is almost painful. I have tried all kinds of lotions. I get two to four allergy shots a week. Any suggestions?

I also have itchy skin and almost anything can set it off. Zyrtec worked very well for me(no more itching) but is by prescription only and expensive. Generic Claritan (found at Target) also works very well and does not make me drowsy. It's worth a try(you can get a box for $1.99).

I sure hope this helps as the itching can really be horrible!

Hey for Donna, guest post...you can order generic zyrtec from canada pharmacy dot com, I get it from there all the time. Go to the website and I think it is under the word citrazine (missing my latest box) or type in zyrtec and it should pop up. Costs me $29.00 for 90 pills which is like 33 cents a pill, very cheap. I paid $50 bucks for lifetime free shipping with them about 3 years ago (don't know if they still offer it) so that saves me $10 everytime I need something shipped, thats what it used to be anyway. Zyrtec is the difference between night and day on the itching to me.

He might try taking a Benedryl before bed. I've used Claritin (Aldi's has a cheap generic) during the day, and that helped me. Skin allergies seem to get worse in the winter, with dry air and furnaces kicking on.

First, he should have a physical examination because itchy skin is an indication of diabetes. Once thyroid problems and diabetes have been ruled out he can treat his itchy skin. (Get rid of the problem instead of treating the symptoms.. lol)

On the other hand, I use Dove bar soap exclusively. Do not use any lotions or liquid soaps. (they are detergents)

Vaseline is good on hands and feet. Apply at night. I too have dermatitis, but it is exacerbated by some preservatives in different products. (See its better to know what you have so you can treat it properly) Stay away from water as water makes the problem worse. I am not supposed to even load my dishwasher.

warm regards,

I forgot to say in my previous post that I also take zyrtec for my allergies, and I think that helps it itching slightly. I understand that in 2008 that Rx will be available as a generic.

best of luck

This is a reply to Donita!

I'm sorry this response is so slow. We were caught up in the ugly ice storms at the first of the month and had to wait way too long for computer (modem) repair parts to get back online! I really missed Thrifty Fun!

You asked what our itchy skin condition is called. After many doctors and much frustration I think we probably have a fairly accurate diagnosis. It is called "keratosis pilaris" .........I think I spelled that right!! A very basic explanation is that our skin cells don't flake or fall off as easily as most folks. They build up and block the pores and/or hair follicles and don't allow the natual secretions from our pores to come out......I think it's called sebum (?). Because the old tough outer skin cells haven't fallen off the sebum can't come out and lubricate the skin....so it builds up in the pores and forms those itchy bumps. We find we have less problems with it in the summer......we spend a lot of time in the pool.....and I think that helps "rub off" the old skin. We also find that Dove soap causes less problems than other brands. We use the "buff puffs" to scrub the problem areas almost daily and use a good moisturizer on those areas too. My daughter also uses a lotion which contains a fairly high percentage of alpha hydrox.....??? on the children's upper arms every few days. This stuff (alpha "something" ) helps the skin to peel or slough off. I imagine anyone from the medical field who reads this is probably rolling on the floor laughing at my attempts to describe this condition. I apologize, but I'm trying to explain it the best I can, so non-medical people might understand. As I said before ....the Eucerin "calming cream or lotion" (they have both) works really well for me when I have an "itch attack"!

Please use citrazine tablets for itchy skin and it will help you from this bad disease.

I had eczema since I was 10 or even younger. So I have had my experience of dry and itchy skin, sleepless nights and the lot. I am 36 now.

There are many factors that you can look into:

my skin is best when: I am in a warm, sunny climate, I exercise regularly (including good sweatting which may be uncomfortable at the beginning), eat an alkaline diet (check out Dr Robert O Young's work www.phmiracleliving.com and how the itching has to do with an overacidic diet and lifestyle. Simply put the itching is caused by metabolic and dietary acids not being eliminated effectively), hydrate well with plain water, fresh vegetable juices especially cucumber, cellery and spinach, keep a positive view and attitude of gratitude and best of cause: when I am in love, my skin seems to love that too and would love to experience that all the time.

Regarding skin care: I go through phases: right now I use nothing to moisturise, I used cortison creams in the past but do not believe in their continues use or benefit at all. Soapwise I use Dr Bronners liquid soaps that are made of vegetable oils. But I only use it where needed and make sure that I rinse off well.

The skin problems may also be impacted by stress and emotional issues.

The skin is an elimination organ and also reflects the health of the small and large intestine. This is how diet really is important for longterm management of skin issues... it really starts on the inside. Certainly allergies can be contributing to the imbalance from the outside too. This includes moulds in the house as well as dust mites, cigarette smoke and lots more.

My symptoms of hayfever are much reduced if not vanished by changing my diet by the way.

A series of colonics together with an improved diet can be helpful too. An initial worsening of skin rashes can also happen as the body starts to rid itself of toxins! I went through a long one of those too.

Good Luck.

Have you tried Cetaphil lotion and use this to wash in also. My daughter has Eczema and this is good because it does not have scents and it is made from animal fat. Eucerin is also good.

If you itch like I did you will understand that "Desperate times calls for desperate measures!" OK now don't jump all over me on this but I had an incredibly itchy spot on my right bicep maybe the size of the palm of your hand. I've had this for 20 years, tried everything with no luck.

One sleepless night I dipped a paper towel in Muriatic acid, dabbed it on the spot then flushed with fresh water.

The itch stopped very soon after and I slept well that night. 3-4 days later it was itching slightly below my trouble spot and I did it again. Haven't thought about my itch in a number of days now.

Be careful! When you read the label on Muriatic acid you will find there is no reason on earth to put it on your skin, just passing on what worked for me. By the way, the fumes are terrible, do it outside with the garden hose on, ready to flush the spot. I'm no Dr. and it's just a guess that I had a fungal environment that just can't handle muriatic acid.

*Editor's note: Muriatic acid is a corrosive liquid used for cleaning and etching stone, brick, concrete and not designed for use on flesh. Please consult your doctor.

The editor is right don't ever let me catch you putting this on your skin! - BTW Muriatic is also used in pools, that is why we have some on hand.

So now that I'm all cocky with my latest win over the "never ending itch" ... what else is there?

I've had something like athletes' foot between 2-3 toes for more than 30 years. It's never been a totally rampant condition but maintains a hold on these toes and won't quite go away.

This Muriatic business got me thinking and being the risk taking type - yup you guessed it, a couple doses of M.A. and the pinky redness that has lived between these toes have disappeared. No more flaky skin, no more slight itch (was never that bad). The space between toes is now normal almost one week after applying.

I have one ankle that is very dry and itchy all the time. I have tried Sorbelene cream and it make my ankles itch and burn. I also tried quartozone creams and it keeps coming back. I have tried paw paw ointment and that makes it burn and itch, and a number of other types of creams that I have at home. If someone has a suggestion I would love to hear it as it wakes me up at night when it seems to be worse. thanks

By Helen from Thirlmere, NSW

Answer Was this helpful? 2

What is good for itchy skin, especially on back and feet?

By Rosie from Canada

I was hoping if you could help me as I have rash around my arms. I was wondering what is the most efficient way to get rid of the itchiness and perhaps prevent marks appearing?

I was stung by a yellow jacket about 4-5 years ago. I sat back on a lawn chair onto a yellow jacket and I think the stinger broke off into my skin. My husband said there was no stinger in my back, but he didn't dig down into my skin. Since that time I have an itchy spot on my back in the same area where I was stung (it only itches in that spot). I've heard that if a stinger is not removed it will absorb into your skin? Is this true?

If so, can it cause any longterm effects such as a constant itching sensation forever or any type of longterm health concerns or illnesses? If the stinger was left in my back, is there anything that can be done now to stop the daily itching? Would an injection of cortisone into that area help? Or could the stinger still be there deep under the skin? And if so, could it be removed?

Blue Eyes from Westlake, Ohio

Yellowjackets don't normally leave behind a stinger, like a honeybee does.

Have you tried an antihistamine? I had this happen with a tick on my ankle, the area would sting and itch something terrible, and it went on for a good two years. It did finally clear up. I think I must have irritated it from scratching too much, maybe I got it infected. Seems like a doctor could find a way to help relieve your discomfort. Hope you get relief soon.

Hi from Brooklyn OH! I also would suggest seeing a doctor. Probably a dermatologist, or a general practitioner.

It most likely is just local nerve damage in that area, caused by the sting itself. I would imagine that if a stinger were left in there, it would have been absorbed by the body by now. Local nerve damage can happen around accidental cuts, surgical incisions, etc. But you really should let your doctor or dermatologist check it out for you, to make you feel better.

The nape of my neck is itchy and red. I have tried all sorts of prescription drugs, but nothing seems to work. I need help as I am fed up with scratching my neck. The doctor says it is eczema and gave me a shampoo with no luck. It appears to be associated with stress.

The skin on my outer ear itches constantly, there is no rash and nothing in the ear canal. It is all on the skin. I have tried all kinds of anti-itch creams, nothing works. It drives me to the point of distraction. What can I do? The skin on my entire body itches, but nothing as bad as the outer ear.

By Charlene

I just moved to a house that has well water and I have become extremely itchy. I have not changed laundry detergents or body wash or shampoo. I have always had city water and have never had this problem before. I thought it might be fleas, but I sprayed. I have used benadryl and a medicated ointment for itchiness and nothing helps. I am about to go insane. I have no clue what could be making me itch. I am starting to think I might be allergic to well water, lol. That sounds pathetic I know. Please help.