Remedies for Shingles Pain

Category Home Remedies
Shingles
Find relief for the pain and itching of this disorder. This guide is about remedies for shingles pain.

Shingles is a very painful adult recurrence of the same virus that causes chickenpox. If you have not had the vaccination there are antivirals available by prescription, but for home remedies some people have had success with L-lysine and or epsom salts soaks. This is a guide about home remedies for shingles.

Shingles Rash

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Anyone have any home remedies to relieve the pain during the first stages of shingles?

By Dawn

Best Answer

Chiggerex medicated ointment with aloe vera gel. This was a remedy given on this site about a year ago.

Best Answer

With shingles it is best to keep them dry. L-Lysine which can be bought over the counter will give you relief. It also works for cold sores. It is taken by mouth. An ice pack over a dry cloth will also give you relief. Wear loose light clothing. The L-Lysine is a miricle in my opinion. I get shingles often and have had chicken pox three times.

I think I also have those. I haven't been to a Doctor as I haven't the insurance nor the funds to but, it couldn't possibly be anything else. They really hurt! Most people get pain relievers from their Doctor.

If you have a aloe vera plant, cut off some of the leafs and chop them into small chunks then put into a pot with water just covering the tops. Let boil for twenty minutes. Discard the chunks and save the juice. You can use this as an aloe vera spray. Also a little apple cider vinegar, rubbing alcohol, and a little water mixed then use a clean towel, washcloth soaked in it and lay that over the area. If it itches, Calamine lotion. Hang in there and remember you are not alone.

I have not had shingles; but I have had cold sores, which are the same thing, on a much smaller scale, on your lip. (You have my sympathy, a cold sore is bad enough!)

But, what I would like to share, is that my cold sores don't hurt much until they open and the pain is less if I can cover them (such as with a salve) to keep the air from getting to the exposed nerve.

Knowing that, if I got shingles, I would try getting the kind of dressing you can get that is a gel pad, and sort of seals against the skin, keeping the air out. It would probably also feel a bit cool, which might be a relief, as well. I cannot tell you from experience that it works, but it won't hurt to try, and if it gives you any relief, it has to be helpful. Good luck!

You can see an NAET practitioner and the shingles will be gone in a few days or less. Non-invasive, feel good treatments using acupuncture sites and pressure.

Anonymous

I've had two bad outbreaks of shingles and will tell you first hand that, even if you can't afford it, 'go to the doctor'; legally they have to allow you to make small payments over as long of a time as you need!

Shingles are a virus, affects the nerves and can spread rapidly. Mine spread in less than two days from just below my waist to half way down my thigh on the left side of the body. Left untreated they can also cause nerve pain in other parts of the body that don't even show the outbreak. The doctor will give you a medication that will help stop and heal the outbreak and discomfort fairly quickly and if the pain and itching is really bad will prescibe appropriate medication(s) for that too.

In case you don't know already; please wash your hands often (especially after touching the area and especially after the blisters open) and wear loose clothing that covers the outbreak. Once the blisters open you can spread the shingles to other parts of your body including face, eyes, nose, etc.

Whether the blisters have broken open or not stay away from "anyone" who has never had chicken pox including adults, children and especially infants. They can not get shingles but they can get chicken pox which for some people can be dangerous. This includes not using swimming pools, hot tubs, etc during the outbreak.

I also highly recommend that you ask your doctor about getting a shingles shot even if you think you can't afford it. You only have to have one in a lifetime and it highly reduces the chance of ever getting another ourbreak. I had the shot and am very glad I did because no outbreak since then.

I've only had shingles once (thank heavens!). My outbreak was on the side of my face, going into my ear (lost a little of my hearing from it), so I also had vertigo for a couple of weeks.

The oral shingles meds from the doctor made me sick, but their ointment helped a little. Like others advised here, ice packs on the affected area and large doses of L-Lysine worked the best. I took 1,000mg of lysine every four hours while I was awake until the sores were gone. I kept ice packs on my face most of my waking time.

Another ice pack at the base of my skull helped reduce the intense headache and vertigo (perhaps because my outbreak was "in my head").

About a year after I recovered, I got a shingles vaccination. That was five years ago, and so far, no more outbreaks!

Dottie

I have had shingles since September 2016. The rash is gone, but the nerve pain is still very bad.

Shingles takes a long time to go away. My daughter had it and she felt pain, especially when she took a shower.

From Health Line:

Pour 1 to 2 cups of colloidal oatmeal or cornstarch into lukewarm bathwater and soak for 15 to 20 minutes. Do not use hot water. Hot water can worsen shingles blisters because heat increases blood flow. Dry your body completely and then wash your towel to avoid spreading the virus to others.

I'm sorry for your pain. There is really not much you can do unfortunately since it is residual nerve pain. In every day language: Shingles are a result of the chicken pox virus lying dormant in your nerves until a stress of some sort triggers it to become active again. Because it now resides in your nerves, this is why you still have so much pain even after the visible sores are gone. There are a few prescription medications that are somewhat helpful and can make you a bit more comfortable for this duration until your nerves have had some time to heal. One is called Gabapentin and is useful for nerve pain specifically from shingles. There are others too. It would be best to see your doctor to find the best fit for you.

I am sorry that you are in so much pain. I wish that someone could offer some really good treatments/medications that would send the pain away forever but I have never heard of any such medicines.

There are several medications that your doctor can prescribe that will help you endure the pain but I'm afraid that even if it goes away for a period of time, it may return at a future date.

Here are a couple of links to help you understand what is happening and some advice on what medications your doctor may prescribe for your pain.

http://www.ever  guide/treatment/

http://www.webm  -shingles-pain#1

Does anyone have information about using geranium oil for the treatment of shingles? I misplaced my information about using geranium oil and another type of oil for relieving the pain of shingles. I would appreciate any help. I know two people who are suffering from this and would like to pass on this information.

Thank you,
Mike from NE Pennsylvania

I do not know about Geranium oil, but have first hand knowlage on the care of Shingles. Look up www.aloetherapy.com and they have lots of info about Shingles. It is a breakdown of the imune system. You have to treat the inside as well as the breakout or you will have scarring. I would be glad to talk to you 1st hand if they would pass on my e-mail address.

mom soaked towels in warmed vinegar and a bit of water and put them on my dads shingles. it smelled but the vinegar dried those things up. vinegar has wonderful healing properties.