Remedies for Shingles Pain

Find relief for the pain and itching of this disorder. This guide is about remedies for shingles pain.

July 20, 2010 Flag

I recently had shingles on the back side of my leg. I first had a slight headache, felt bad, and my buttocks on that side of my body hurt like my sciatic nerve was acting up. I had to go out of town for a funeral and the day of the service I had two bumps (I thought they were heat bumps) on the back of my leg. The next day I had more.

By the time I returned home and got in to see my dermatologist, it had been 4 days since my first bumps had appeared. I was given a shot and prescribed Valtrex. After taking two tablets of Valtrex I found I couldn't take it because of a bad reaction to it. I felt I had to have something around my house for the itching and pain, and ended up using Chiggerex medicated ointment with aloe vera gel. I couldn't believe how it stopped the pain and dried the blisters up. When I went back to doctor on the following Monday, all the sores were dried up. It works great.

By hoodoo from Baton Rouge, LA

L-Lycine is the perfect pain reliever for shingles. It also shortens the time and works great for fever blisters. It can be taken with any other medication.

Lysine is a good antiviral to take daily all the time.

For relief, make poltices of epsom salts. It dries the blistering.

Those hospitalized with shingles get wet packs of boric solution. A safer use at home is the espom salts. Even with huge attacks of mosquitoes, etc my grandchildren use the poltices. Talked to the doctor and he said he suggests Epsom Salts often for itch relief.

I hope you are all aware that you can now get a shingles shot. However, they are quite expensive. But I saw my dad suffer with shingles and I didn't want to suffer too so I got my shot.

I've heard shingles are as contagious as chicken pox. Since you didn't know you had them until days after you broke out, we can only hope you didn't accidentally infect others.

I wouldn't know where to find Chiggerex, but I've found Rhuligel a good itch-relief alternative.

Here's hoping you're much better by now!

February 3, 2012 Flag

Anyone have any home remedies to relieve the pain during the first stages of shingles?

By Dawn

Best Answer

Chiggerex medicated ointment with aloe vera gel. This was a remedy given on this site about a year ago.

Best Answer

With shingles it is best to keep them dry. L-Lysine which can be bought over the counter will give you relief. It also works for cold sores. It is taken by mouth. An ice pack over a dry cloth will also give you relief. Wear loose light clothing. The L-Lysine is a miricle in my opinion. I get shingles often and have had chicken pox three times.

You can see an NAET practitioner and the shingles will be gone in a few days or less. Non-invasive, feel good treatments using acupuncture sites and pressure.

I've had two bad outbreaks of shingles and will tell you first hand that, even if you can't afford it, 'go to the doctor'; legally they have to allow you to make small payments over as long of a time as you need!

Shingles are a virus, affects the nerves and can spread rapidly. Mine spread in less than two days from just below my waist to half way down my thigh on the left side of the body. Left untreated they can also cause nerve pain in other parts of the body that don't even show the outbreak. The doctor will give you a medication that will help stop and heal the outbreak and discomfort fairly quickly and if the pain and itching is really bad will prescibe appropriate medication(s) for that too.

In case you don't know already; please wash your hands often (especially after touching the area and especially after the blisters open) and wear loose clothing that covers the outbreak. Once the blisters open you can spread the shingles to other parts of your body including face, eyes, nose, etc.

Whether the blisters have broken open or not stay away from "anyone" who has never had chicken pox including adults, children and especially infants. They can not get shingles but they can get chicken pox which for some people can be dangerous. This includes not using swimming pools, hot tubs, etc during the outbreak.

I also highly recommend that you ask your doctor about getting a shingles shot even if you think you can't afford it. You only have to have one in a lifetime and it highly reduces the chance of ever getting another ourbreak. I had the shot and am very glad I did because no outbreak since then.

October 30, 2006 Flag

Does anyone have information about using geranium oil for the treatment of shingles? I misplaced my information about using geranium oil and another type of oil for relieving the pain of shingles. I would appreciate any help. I know two people who are suffering from this and would like to pass on this information.

Thank you,
Mike from NE Pennsylvania

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I do not know about Geranium oil, but have first hand knowlage on the care of Shingles. Look up and they have lots of info about Shingles. It is a breakdown of the imune system. You have to treat the inside as well as the breakout or you will have scarring. I would be glad to talk to you 1st hand if they would pass on my e-mail address.

mom soaked towels in warmed vinegar and a bit of water and put them on my dads shingles. it smelled but the vinegar dried those things up. vinegar has wonderful healing properties.

Health & Beauty Home RemediesFebruary 25, 2013
Roof Shingles
Reusing Roof Shingles
little girl frowning and holding her ear
Home Remedies for Earache Pain
Shingles Blisters
Shingles Advice
Using acupressure on a foot.
Using Acupressure for Foot Pain