Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Remedies for Shingles Pain

Shingles

Find relief for the pain and itching of this disorder. This guide is about remedies for shingles pain.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Home Remedies For Shingles

I recently had shingles on the back side of my leg. I first had a slight headache, felt bad, and my buttocks on that side of my body hurt like my sciatic nerve was acting up. I had to go out of town for a funeral and the day of the service I had two bumps (I thought they were heat bumps) on the back of my leg. The next day I had more.

By the time I returned home and got in to see my dermatologist, it had been 4 days since my first bumps had appeared. I was given a shot and prescribed Valtrex. After taking two tablets of Valtrex I found I couldn't take it because of a bad reaction to it. I felt I had to have something around my house for the itching and pain, and ended up using Chiggerex medicated ointment with aloe vera gel. I couldn't believe how it stopped the pain and dried the blisters up. When I went back to doctor on the following Monday, all the sores were dried up. It works great.

By hoodoo from Baton Rouge, LA

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Remedies for Shingles Pain.

Question: Relief for Shingles Pain

Anyone have any home remedies to relieve the pain during the first stages of shingles?

By Dawn

Best Answers

By Lilac02/05/2012

With shingles it is best to keep them dry. L-Lysine which can be bought over the counter will give you relief. It also works for cold sores. It is taken by mouth. An ice pack over a dry cloth will also give you relief. Wear loose light clothing. The L-Lysine is a miricle in my opinion. I get shingles often and have had chicken pox three times.

Best Answers

By Patricia Hamm02/05/2012

Chiggerex medicated ointment with aloe vera gel. This was a remedy given on this site about a year ago.

Question: Geranium Oil For Shingles

Does anyone have information about using geranium oil for the treatment of shingles? I misplaced my information about using geranium oil and another type of oil for relieving the pain of shingles. I would appreciate any help. I know two people who are suffering from this and would like to pass on this information.

Thank you,
Mike from NE Pennsylvania

Most Recent Answer

By sandy11/02/2006

mom soaked towels in warmed vinegar and a bit of water and put them on my dads shingles. it smelled but the vinegar dried those things up. vinegar has wonderful healing properties.