Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Remedies for Worms in Dogs

A veterinarian holding a dog.

Some pet owners prefer to treat worms with products and remedies other than medications from a vet. This is a guide about remedies for worms in dogs.

Here are questions related to Remedies for Worms in Dogs.

Question: Stomach Relief for Dog with Worms

I have an 8 week old Boxer who has worms. They are a little longer than a grain of rice. We have an appointment for the vet, but she is still barking and crying with pain. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help with the pain until we can get her to the vet. She is keeping the whole family up all through the night. Thanks!

By Rachel F.

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie12/03/2013

Hopefully by now you've realised this is a vet emergency and have taken her straight in for emergency treatment!

Please update and let us know how she is.

Question: Worming a Dog

We inherited a six year old Lab. She has worms in her stool. What would be the best meds to give her?

By Gayla

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn12/01/2013

You also can buy the safeguard cattle and goat liquid wormer and the dosages are as follows:

When using the Liquid Fenbendazole / Safeguard Wormer Suspension for canine worms that is sold for use with Livestock, the dosage amounts for canine worms and the frequency of application differs substantially from the label when worming dogs. The dosage for canine worms is also different than the paste that some may use. I do not use the paste and the dosage I describe is for the liquid Safe-Guard® 10% Suspension for Cattle and Goats dewormer. Myself and many other kennels dose dogs at 1 ml/cc per 5 pounds of body weight for intestinal worms. That means that a dog that weighs 50 pounds would receive a dose of 10 ml/cc of dewormer. It is important to note that the same dosage of dewormer is given three days in a row. This info on goat dewormer is from: http://mrpitbull.com/dog-worms.html

I also use safeguard liquid goat dewormer for my dogs, when they need tapeworm treatment. Don't use the paste it is too hard to measure.

Question: Natural Home Remedy for Puppy's Worms

Hi, my puppy is 3-4 months old. My husband and I noticed 2 white flat worms on her butt. From what I read they're called tapeworms. So my question is how can you get rid of the parasites a natural way, without going to the vet? I love her dearly but low on money. I know the best way is the vet. Does someone know of another solution. Please help and thanks for all answers.

By Lacey GC

Most Recent Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL01/17/2014

With no disrespect, if you can't afford the Vet perhaps you should have considered not getting the puppy.

Question: Natural Remedy for Roundworms

Light brown puppy.My mom was given a puppy from our neighbor because it was either find someone or send it to the pound and my mom wouldn't let that happen. Recently, I've noticed, both in her feces and as she laying down, coming out of her rear end, some white larva looking worms (almost positive they're roundworms). I read on a separate site that you could try a home remedy and give her cloves to get rid of them, but it wasn't exactly specific on how much or how to feed them to her (whether to crush them up or whole), so what should I do?

By Kristina M.

Best Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL09/30/2013

Take this sweet puppy to your Veterinarian.

Question: Treating a Dog with Worms

How do I manage my dog's worms without dog wormer?

By Andrea W from Stover, MO

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri09/08/2013

Hello...
First of all, which worms do you want to treat? Tapeworms, Roundworms? There is a different medication for each. Please take your dog to his/her Veterinarian to find out which worms to treat. Bring a fresh stool sample with you, so your Veterinarian can evaluate which worms to treat.

Please be advised there is not an over the counter medication to treat any type of worms in a cat/dog. Please take him, so he can feel better, dogs can get very ill from having worms for any long period of time. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 25 years.

Good luck...

Question: Deworming Dogs

My dog is pooping out worms and they are crawling out the butt. They are long worms. What do I do?

By Mark

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny08/15/2013

Take some of the worms to your Vet and he will give you medicine to get rid of the worms. Be careful about home remedies for worms, some can be very dangerous.

Question: Puppy Has Worms

My baby Chihuahuas have worms; they look like sesame seeds. How do I get rid of them?

By Stephanie

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri08/15/2013

Hello,
Please take your baby to his/her Veterinarian. It is probably time to start vaccinations anyway. Please take a stool sample with you so your Veterinarian can determine which worms they are and which medication to dispense to you.

Question: Deworming Puppies

I have 4, 6 week old puppies that I have already dewormed 3 times. They are eating canned food twice a day and nursing on momma only when she lets 1 or 2, but not often as they have teeth. The little female sneezes a lot like when she gets an upset tummy. How long will it take to get rid of these worms and is it normal for them to try eat their feces? This is first time I've had this problem and I've had some pretty pups I've given away in last 2 yrs.

By bb27803

Most Recent Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL08/12/2013

The person you should be talking to is your Veterinarian and with no disrespect the fact you are "giving" the pups away indicates you are not a registered licensed breeder. Have this girl de-sexed and avoid bringing more pups in to the world to try and find homes for. The female will thank you.

Question: Dog Threw Up a Worm

My female Pit threw up little white maggot looking worm. What can I do to treat? I don't get paid for 10-11 days. Help please.

By kirkroberts90

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn06/19/2013

Your dog has worms and the vet will give you something. They are more than likely roundworms. See if you have an ASPCA or Humane Society or Animal Shelter around you that might give him a dose of wormer and you could pay them back later.

When you get paid, you can take him to the vet and have them worm him.

If you still can't afford to go to the vets, then you need to do the deworming yourself, which I would use this product which is for roundworms and hookworms:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ ... od_display.cfm?pcatid=1430&rel=1

Or you could use this one which is for roundwoms and hookworms:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=522

These above do not remove tapeworms, but the tape worns will be in the dogs stool, and they kind of look like little grains of rice that move.

The product to use for the tapeworms would be safeguard, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13555

It removes one type of tape worm. Also, after following directions on the box, you can also take in a stool sample to the vets and confirm that the worms are gone.

Blessings,

Robyn

Question: Organic Treatment for Worms in Small Dogs

Does anyone know of an organic (home remedy) for worms in dogs? I have tried several over the counter treatments and my Yorkie still has worms. I am disabled and can not afford to take him to the vet, and my vet will not let me make payments. It really hurts me to see my dog so uncomfortable. Please help!

By Janice I.

Best Answers

By NEWFIEGIRL03/17/2013

Irrespective of the Dogs size ask your Veterinarian for Drontal Allwormer. You can give this to the animal yourself. There are several different kinds of worms. To be honest, for the amount of money you have spent buying "over the counter" products that have apparently proven useless, you could have bought the correct tablet and dosage for your Dog's size and weight. The situation will only get worse without correct treatment.

Best Answers

By Maya Lee07/11/2011

I have used a product called diatomaceous earth for quite a while now. I bought it on the internet. It has to be food grade to use on animals. There is another grade which is used for swimming pools, etc. You sprinkle a little on the dog's food every day for a month. After that you only use it once a month, I think. It kills the worms with no effect on the dog. I swear by it.

Best Answers

By mooma07/09/2011

A breeder once told me he used cloves of garlic to rid his dogs of worms. Remove the skins and crush into food or feed whole pieces if your dog will eat them. Also try calling some different vets in your area. You will most likely find one who will accept a payment plan. You will most likely need a vet at some point, so it's worth the effort. Good luck!

Question: Bleeding After Deworming a Puppy

I just wormed my 5 month puppy and later in the day I noticed tiny spots of blood on the floor in his room. Is this normal?

By Amber from Australia

Best Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL08/16/2013

You never stated the Brand product used, dosage given, or who recommended this. Never purchase any internal products for your animal. Please take your dog to your Veterinarian because bleeding in any form needs to be determined by the professionals.

Question: Treating Heart Worms

My three year old Catahoula Leopard dog has heart worms. Is there anything I can do for her at home for treatment instead of taking her to the vet because I don't have the money for that?

By Kelly from Port Charlotte, FL

Best Answer

By Lizzyanny [9]02/24/2014

There is no heart worm treatment you can do at home. The treatment is difficult for the dog and must be done by a Vet. Don't wait too long. The longer you wait the harder it will be for your dog. Heart worm is ultimately fatal.

Question: Having a Vet Worm My Dog

I've given my puppy wormer that kills 3 types of worms. It's been a couple of weeks and he still shows symptoms. I don't want to risk harming my puppy, but don't have a lot of money what so ever. How much does it cost to go to the vet for this?

By SL

Best Answer

By Robyn [346]02/21/2014

Safeguard for dogs (you do it three days) and Nemex 2. Both at feed supply store as. You have to give both.

Question: Getting Rid of Worms in a Puppy

My vet found whip and hook worms. What do I do?

By Chance from FL

Most Recent Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL [8]02/19/2014

Change your Vet if their diagnosis is worms but they can't treat them.

Question: Giving a Puppy Medicine for Worms

white and black puppy on lapI was wondering if it is OK to give a 5 month old puppy worm medicine after just giving a dose 6 days ago. She still has worms and I can't afford take her to vet for 2 weeks.

By Mary from Dallas, TX

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie01/24/2014

If you can't afford to take your puppy to the vet for another two weeks, at least ring to the vet office and ask if it's OK to give the pup more worming meds.

None of us can answer because we don't know what you've already given your dog. If you were given medicine at the last visit, there may be some really good reasons your vet should be consulted before giving more - you might cause your puppy serious harm otherwise.

If it was an over-the-counter medication you bought in a shop, re-read the directions to get your answer. (Still, it's probably not a good idea to re-dose without checking with the vet first)

If you are a regular client of your vet office there should be no problem (or charge) for you to ring and ask a question, most vets will be glad to answer - especially if the answer could mean life or death for your puppy.

Question: Dog Has Worms

My Shipoo has white worms in his stool, I give him monthly meds. Why is this happening?

By Mary from PA

Most Recent Answer

By jean leiner10/22/2013

Probably because the med you are giving is not effective against the type of worms the dog has. This calls for a vet visit or at least a vet examination of a stool sample and a different medication. Hope you are able to solve the problem.

Question: Dog Acting Sick After Being Wormed

I dewormed my eight month old Rott with D-Worm combo for round worms, hook worm, and tape worms. It's been two days and now he is still acting sluggish and not eating. He just wants to lay and eat dirt. He sleeps all the time and he shows symptoms of still having worms of some sort. He is licking his paws constantly.

By Nakye

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri09/19/2013

Hello,
Was this a medication dispensed by your Veterinarian? If not, you should take him to your Veterinarian for an exam, not eating can be very serious. How did you know which type of worms he had/has? Did you take a fecal sample to your Vet so he could put the sample under a microscope to determine which worm to treat? Your Veterinarian will dispense the proper medication. The medication is given according to the weight of your dog. Please take him in.... Good luck, by the way there is NOT an over the counter medication to rid your pet of any type of worm, it must be given by your Vet.

Question: Worming My Puppy

Could worming my 12wk old puppy cause a little blood in the poo?

By Gillian

Best Answer

By Cheryl06/09/2012

I don't think worming could cause blood in the stool. However it is a huge red flag for PARVO. Parvo is a very serious disease young puppies can get that can be fatal really fast. Get your puppy directly to a vet.

Question: Home Remedies for Dog Worms

What can I use at home to get rid of my dog's worms? I have spent lots of money on different dewormers from the store and still he has worms. I would like to try something from home. Please help.

By Lora from Rio Vista, CA

Best Answers

By Sherri [6]03/04/2011

I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. I have to tell you there is not a home remedy to get rid of worms in your pets. I don't care how many people tell you otherwise. Please call your Veterinarian and take in a fecal sample so your Dr. can prescribe the appropriate medication for your pet.

Best Answers

By Ramona03/03/2011

Go to a feedstore and get a bag of diatomaceous earth. Call first and find out if it's sold in small sizes. It cost me $2 for a 1 pound bag.

It can be mixed in the animal's food or applied to its coat. It works and it's cheap:

"Pets:
In case a bug decides to take up residence in their fur. You can protect them and yourself with Fossil Shell Flour (diatomaceous earth). When lightly rubbed into their coats it is very effective against fleas, ticks, lice, and other pests on pet dogs, cats, and their premises. You can puff it into the soft furniture in your house, the rug and all over the basement too.
Diatomaceous Earth Kills Pests Naturally - It is a mineral dust mined from quarries that kills the insects when they come in contact with it and it does vaporize or go away over time. Once it's in place it works every time and it's nontoxic..

It can also be used as an organic wormer and will kill any worms or parasites the pets may have.

* Cows/Horses get 1-2 oz per day
* Sheep/Goats/Hogs get 1/2 oz per day
* Cats get 1/2 teaspoon per day
* Large Cats - 1 teaspoon
* Kittens - 1/4 teaspoon
* Dog 100 lbs + - 2 tablespoon
* 50 - 100lbs - 1 tablespoon
* Under 50 lbs - 1 teaspoons
* Mini dogs - 1/2 teaspoon ..." -

http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-Earth.html

Question: Tapeworm Remedies for Dogs

My Yorkie has tapeworms and the vet is charging too much. What are some remedies to kill tape worms?

By Martin from Houston, TX

Best Answers

03/01/2011

If you value your dog's life, then she needs a doctor just like you do sometimes. In the summertime use something (Diatomacious earth or Frontline) to keep the fleas off of her so she doesn't get tapeworms in the first place. I hope you are aware that Tapeworms can and will kill a dog if not treated.

Best Answers

By Sherri02/22/2011

I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years and there is not a home remedy for tapeworms. Tapeworms are caused by fleas. Please apply advantage or frontline to your fur baby. Please take your baby to the Veterinarian for the proper medication to treat her. Good luck

Question: Getting Rid of Tapeworms Naturally

Is there a natural recipe for getting rid of tape worms?

By Jeanna from Bedford, IN

Most Recent Answer

By vicki hood10/26/2010

Mismachado is absolutely right. Food grade only. Rid the house of fleas with dry Borax as fleas that are eaten or chewed on are the cause of tapes. Diatomaceous earth is very safe. Gets all intestinal worms. Will not eliminate heart worm. That needs very special care.

Question: Remedies for Worms

Today I noticed my dog has worms. I don't get paid for 2 weeks. Is there a home remedy I can try til I get paid?

By Patty from Lebanon, MO

Most Recent Answer

By vicki hood08/10/2010

Best and natural is food grade diatomaceous earth. It is for intestinal worms.

Question: Home Remedy for Worming Dogs

How can I deworm a puppy without paying an expensive vet? Isn't there a place I can purchase the deworming solution? I am fostering a stray and already have two dogs that can get contaminated by the foster. I do not want this to happen, but cannot afford the vet bill right now. What do I do?

By Hollie from Bossier, LA

Most Recent Answer

By Frances Adams07/17/2010

We have 8 dogs, most of them working dogs, and I do most of the medicating myself.
It depends on the type of worms they have. I use Pyrantel liquid wormer. It is available at Walmart in a small size, and at most feed stores in a larger bottle. Just follow the label directions. It doesn't work on all worms, so be sure that you are treating the correct kind.
Best of luck to you!

Share a solution today!