Share & Vote
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Remedies for Worms in Dogs

0 0EmailFollow
A veterinarian holding a dog.

Some pet owners prefer to treat worms with products and remedies other than medications from a vet. This is a guide about remedies for worms in dogs.

Solutions: Remedies for Worms in Dogs

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Safe-Guard Equine Paste for Dog Worms

I looked and looked for alternative to treat my rescues for tapeworms and somewhere I came across a rec to use Safeguard for horses, then it took forever to get thru that advice. I took the advice to use a dime to nickel size dosage of the paste for the size of my dogs (16 to 22lbs), three days in a row. It worked way better than the expensive pills at the vet. My one little dog is 16 and has seizures, which stopped after I quit with the shots and flea meds and he was fine on it. It was like a miracle for us. At Bahamatude we are especially looking for alternatives to help pets in the out islands of the Bahamas where there is a choice, help yourself and the animals or go without a vet.

By surferrobin51 [1]

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Remedies for Worms in Dogs.

Question: Organic Treatment for Worms in Small Dogs

Does anyone know of an organic (home remedy) for worms in dogs? I have tried several over the counter treatments and my Yorkie still has worms. I am disabled and can not afford to take him to the vet, and my vet will not let me make payments. It really hurts me to see my dog so uncomfortable. Please help!

By Janice I.

Best Answers

By NEWFIEGIRL [8]03/17/2013

Irrespective of the Dogs size ask your Veterinarian for Drontal Allwormer. You can give this to the animal yourself. There are several different kinds of worms. To be honest, for the amount of money you have spent buying "over the counter" products that have apparently proven useless, you could have bought the correct tablet and dosage for your Dog's size and weight. The situation will only get worse without correct treatment.

Best Answers

By Maya Lee [9]07/11/2011

I have used a product called diatomaceous earth for quite a while now. I bought it on the internet. It has to be food grade to use on animals. There is another grade which is used for swimming pools, etc. You sprinkle a little on the dog's food every day for a month. After that you only use it once a month, I think. It kills the worms with no effect on the dog. I swear by it.

Best Answers

By mooma [1]07/09/2011

A breeder once told me he used cloves of garlic to rid his dogs of worms. Remove the skins and crush into food or feed whole pieces if your dog will eat them. Also try calling some different vets in your area. You will most likely find one who will accept a payment plan. You will most likely need a vet at some point, so it's worth the effort. Good luck!

Question: Home Remedies for Dog Worms

What can I use at home to get rid of my dog's worms? I have spent lots of money on different dewormers from the store and still he has worms. I would like to try something from home. Please help.

By Lora from Rio Vista, CA

Best Answers

By Sherri [6]03/04/2011

I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. I have to tell you there is not a home remedy to get rid of worms in your pets. I don't care how many people tell you otherwise. Please call your Veterinarian and take in a fecal sample so your Dr. can prescribe the appropriate medication for your pet.

Best Answers

By Ramona03/03/2011

Go to a feedstore and get a bag of diatomaceous earth. Call first and find out if it's sold in small sizes. It cost me $2 for a 1 pound bag.

It can be mixed in the animal's food or applied to its coat. It works and it's cheap:

"Pets:
    In case a bug decides to take up residence in their fur. You can protect them and yourself with Fossil Shell Flour (diatomaceous earth). When lightly rubbed into their coats it is very effective against fleas, ticks, lice, and other pests on pet dogs, cats, and their premises. You can puff it into the soft furniture in your house, the rug and all over the basement too.
    Diatomaceous Earth Kills Pests Naturally - It is a mineral dust mined from quarries that kills the insects when they come in contact with it and it does vaporize or go away over time. Once it's in place it works every time and it's nontoxic..

It can also be used as an organic wormer and will kill any worms or parasites the pets may have.

* Cows/Horses get 1-2 oz per day
    * Sheep/Goats/Hogs get 1/2 oz per day
    * Cats get 1/2 teaspoon per day
    * Large Cats - 1 teaspoon
    * Kittens - 1/4 teaspoon
    * Dog 100 lbs + - 2 tablespoon
    * 50 - 100lbs - 1 tablespoon
    * Under 50 lbs - 1 teaspoons
    * Mini dogs - 1/2 teaspoon ..." -

http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-Earth.html

Question: Tapeworm Remedies for Dogs

My Yorkie has tapeworms and the vet is charging too much. What are some remedies to kill tape worms?

By Martin from Houston, TX

Best Answers

03/01/2011

If you value your dog's life, then she needs a doctor just like you do sometimes. In the summertime use something (Diatomacious earth or Frontline) to keep the fleas off of her so she doesn't get tapeworms in the first place. I hope you are aware that Tapeworms can and will kill a dog if not treated.

Best Answers

By Sherri [6]02/22/2011

I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years and there is not a home remedy for tapeworms. Tapeworms are caused by fleas. Please apply advantage or frontline to your fur baby. Please take your baby to the Veterinarian for the proper medication to treat her. Good luck

Question: Natural Remedy for Roundworms

Light brown puppy.My mom was given a puppy from our neighbor because it was either find someone or send it to the pound and my mom wouldn't let that happen. Recently, I've noticed, both in her feces and as she laying down, coming out of her rear end, some white larva looking worms (almost positive they're roundworms). I read on a separate site that you could try a home remedy and give her cloves to get rid of them, but it wasn't exactly specific on how much or how to feed them to her (whether to crush them up or whole), so what should I do?

By Kristina M.

Best Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL [8]09/30/2013

Take this sweet puppy to your Veterinarian.

Question: Bleeding After Deworming a Puppy

I just wormed my 5 month puppy and later in the day I noticed tiny spots of blood on the floor in his room. Is this normal?

By Amber from Australia

Best Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL [8]08/16/2013

You never stated the Brand product used, dosage given, or who recommended this. Never purchase any internal products for your animal. Please take your dog to your Veterinarian because bleeding in any form needs to be determined by the professionals.

Question: Worming My Puppy

Could worming my 12wk old puppy cause a little blood in the poo?

By Gillian

Best Answer

By Cheryl [3]06/09/2012

I don't think worming could cause blood in the stool. However it is a huge red flag for PARVO. Parvo is a very serious disease young puppies can get that can be fatal really fast. Get your puppy directly to a vet.

Question: Treating Heart Worms

My three year old Catahoula Leopard dog has heart worms. Is there anything I can do for her at home for treatment instead of taking her to the vet because I don't have the money for that?

By Kelly from Port Charlotte, FL

Best Answer

By Lizzyanny [9]02/24/2014

There is no heart worm treatment you can do at home. The treatment is difficult for the dog and must be done by a Vet. Don't wait too long. The longer you wait the harder it will be for your dog. Heart worm is ultimately fatal.

Question: Having a Vet Worm My Dog

I've given my puppy wormer that kills 3 types of worms. It's been a couple of weeks and he still shows symptoms. I don't want to risk harming my puppy, but don't have a lot of money what so ever. How much does it cost to go to the vet for this?

By SL

Best Answer

By Robyn [369]02/21/2014

Safeguard for dogs (you do it three days) and Nemex 2. Both at feed supply store as. You have to give both.

Question: Worming a Dog

We inherited a six year old Lab. She has worms in her stool. What would be the best meds to give her?

By Gayla

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn [369]12/01/2013

You also can buy the safeguard cattle and goat liquid wormer and the dosages are as follows:

When using the Liquid Fenbendazole / Safeguard Wormer Suspension for canine worms that is sold for use with Livestock, the dosage amounts for canine worms and the frequency of application differs substantially from the label when worming dogs. The dosage for canine worms is also different than the paste that some may use. I do not use the paste and the dosage I describe is for the liquid Safe-Guard® 10% Suspension for Cattle and Goats dewormer. Myself and many other kennels dose dogs at 1 ml/cc per 5 pounds of body weight for intestinal worms. That means that a dog that weighs 50 pounds would receive a dose of 10 ml/cc of dewormer. It is important to note that the same dosage of dewormer is given three days in a row. This info on goat dewormer is from: http://mrpitbull.com/dog-worms.html

I also use safeguard liquid goat dewormer for my dogs, when they need tapeworm treatment. Don't use the paste it is too hard to measure.

Question: Natural Home Remedy for Puppy's Worms

Hi, my puppy is 3-4 months old. My husband and I noticed 2 white flat worms on her butt. From what I read they're called tapeworms. So my question is how can you get rid of the parasites a natural way, without going to the vet? I love her dearly but low on money. I know the best way is the vet. Does someone know of another solution. Please help and thanks for all answers.

By Lacey GC

Most Recent Answer

By Laurie B.04/11/2014

Buy an over the counter dewormer and give a second dose in 2 weeks.

Question: Treating a Dog with Worms

How do I manage my dog's worms without dog wormer?

By Andrea W from Stover, MO

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri [6]09/08/2013

Hello...
    First of all, which worms do you want to treat? Tapeworms, Roundworms? There is a different medication for each. Please take your dog to his/her Veterinarian to find out which worms to treat. Bring a fresh stool sample with you, so your Veterinarian can evaluate which worms to treat.

Please be advised there is not an over the counter medication to treat any type of worms in a cat/dog. Please take him, so he can feel better, dogs can get very ill from having worms for any long period of time. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 25 years.

Good luck...

Question: Puppy Has Worms

My baby Chihuahuas have worms; they look like sesame seeds. How do I get rid of them?

By Stephanie

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri [6]08/15/2013

Hello,
    Please take your baby to his/her Veterinarian. It is probably time to start vaccinations anyway. Please take a stool sample with you so your Veterinarian can determine which worms they are and which medication to dispense to you.

Question: Deworming Puppies

I have 4, 6 week old puppies that I have already dewormed 3 times. They are eating canned food twice a day and nursing on momma only when she lets 1 or 2, but not often as they have teeth. The little female sneezes a lot like when she gets an upset tummy. How long will it take to get rid of these worms and is it normal for them to try eat their feces? This is first time I've had this problem and I've had some pretty pups I've given away in last 2 yrs.

By bb27803

Most Recent Answer

By Courtney F.11/29/2014

Have you dewormed the mother dog? She may be passing them to the pups.

Question: Dog Threw Up a Worm

My female Pit threw up little white maggot looking worm. What can I do to treat? I don't get paid for 10-11 days. Help please.

By kirkroberts90

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn [369]06/19/2013

Your dog has worms and the vet will give you something. They are more than likely roundworms. See if you have an ASPCA or Humane Society or Animal Shelter around you that might give him a dose of wormer and you could pay them back later.

When you get paid, you can take him to the vet and have them worm him.

If you still can't afford to go to the vets, then you need to do the deworming yourself, which I would use this product which is for roundworms and hookworms:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ ... od_display.cfm?pcatid=1430&rel=1

Or you could use this one which is for roundwoms and hookworms:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=522

These above do not remove tapeworms, but the tape worns will be in the dogs stool, and they kind of look like little grains of rice that move.

The product to use for the tapeworms would be safeguard, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13555

It removes one type of tape worm. Also, after following directions on the box, you can also take in a stool sample to the vets and confirm that the worms are gone.

Blessings,

Robyn

Question: Stomach Relief for Dog with Worms

I have an 8 week old Boxer who has worms. They are a little longer than a grain of rice. We have an appointment for the vet, but she is still barking and crying with pain. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help with the pain until we can get her to the vet. She is keeping the whole family up all through the night. Thanks!

By Rachel F.

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]12/03/2013

Hopefully by now you've realised this is a vet emergency and have taken her straight in for emergency treatment!

Please update and let us know how she is.

Question: Deworming Dogs

My dog is pooping out worms and they are crawling out the butt. They are long worms. What do I do?

By Mark

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny [9]08/15/2013

Take some of the worms to your Vet and he will give you medicine to get rid of the worms. Be careful about home remedies for worms, some can be very dangerous.

Question: Worming a Puppy

white puppyI just bought an 8 week old, 3/4 Husky, 1/4 Shepherd puppy from a lady. She told me she dewormed it, but no shots. Is there anyway of knowing if she actually did deworming, as well how often should deworming be done? What is the lowest cost place possible to get the wormer, as I am a single mom with sole custody and tight on funds.

By Stacey

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny [9]02/26/2015

What a beautiful puppy. Do not forget shots that she needs right away. Parvo is common and deadly without shots, and is a terrible and painful death for the dog. You cannot skip her puppy shots. A vet can worm your puppy when you go for shots. Remember that any pet will have Vet bills. You cannot avoid it.

Question: Treating a Puppy for Worms

My puppy vomited worms 2 days ago, and he is not eating anything, just water. Is it OK to give him dewormer even if he is not eating?

By Jean

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. [8]01/28/2015

Yes, dewormer can and should be administered. They are given to shelter rescue dogs that are sick and not eating all the time.

However, if your dog has heartworms, dewormer won't kill them. Heartworm prevention is inexpensive and easy, but heartworm once contracted can damage the heart and has to be treated, expensively, by a vet. Have your dog checked for heartworm. It's a blood test.

It would have been really valuable to bring in the vomit sample so the vet would know exactly which worms to treat, but that didn't happen.They may have to do blood tests to find out. Does your puppy have all its shots? If it doesn't, set up an appointment to start the vaccinations as well.

Question: Treating an Older Dog With Worms

My 16 year old German Shepherd/Pit Bull mix has worms. I called the vet and he told me to give him dewormer, but I don't want to give him harsh chemicals because of his age.
    What should I give him?

By Destiney B

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. [8]11/25/2014

It's best to take a stool sample to the vet to determine which kind of worms. Your dog will only need a dose of one particular chemical for that worm, not all of them across the board.

Question: Getting Rid of Tapeworms Naturally

Is there a natural recipe for getting rid of tape worms?

By Jeanna from Bedford, IN

Most Recent Answer

By vicki hood [4]10/26/2010

Mismachado is absolutely right. Food grade only. Rid the house of fleas with dry Borax as fleas that are eaten or chewed on are the cause of tapes. Diatomaceous earth is very safe. Gets all intestinal worms. Will not eliminate heart worm. That needs very special care.

Question: Remedies for Worms

Today I noticed my dog has worms. I don't get paid for 2 weeks. Is there a home remedy I can try til I get paid?

By Patty from Lebanon, MO

Most Recent Answer

By vicki hood [4]08/10/2010

Best and natural is food grade diatomaceous earth. It is for intestinal worms.

Question: Puppy With Roundworms

I gave my 7 week old puppy her wormer on Tuesday. She passed them through her stool that night, Wednesday she stopped eating and drinking and was vomiting. At least three times out of the many times she threw up she had a roundworm come out. I kept her hydrated and yesterday she bounced right back and was eating and drinking and playing. Today however she is back to not eating and drinking and she is vomiting and again passed at least 3 roundworms this way.

The wormer says to only give once and then again in 14 days. Is it safe to give her another dose? I am doing the same process as I did on Wednesday to keep her hydrated. I will be getting her to the vet in the morning, but need to know if there is anything else I can do for her at the moment or if I should give her more of the worm medication.

By Concerned Puppy Owner

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. [8]03/27/2015

She had tons of worms. Just keep her hydrated. She may not be able to handle another dose right now. Tell the vet what's happening tomorrow and he or she will tell you what to give and what not to give.

Question: Treating a Puppy With Worms

My 3 month old puppy has worms. I gave her some Pro Sense. Should I take her to the vet?

By Ismael L

Most Recent Answer

By Dinah Ackerson [2]12/31/2014

If you had worms, wouldn't you want correct medical treatment? Pro Sense is specifically for round worms in dogs. Are you certain the worms your puppy has are roundworms and the treatment you have provided is correct?

Your puppy is very young and has not yet built up a good resisitance to this world's possible medical problems. So, if you are not providing the correct treatment, your puppy will not improve, may be exposed to other medical ills and may need more expensive treatment down the line.

Suggest you bring your puppy to your vet immediately to identify and treat the problem.

Question: Getting Rid of Tape Worms in a Puppy

black puppyJust right at 2:07am my 1 month old pup needed to go. So I took him out and I saw little white worms in his poop so at first I was curious then I googled it, but it didn't help as much. I am worried about how could I get rid of them. Will it kill him? Someone please help me.

By Mia R.

Most Recent Answer

By Dinah Ackerson [2]11/29/2014

Please take your dog to a vet for a diagnosis and treatment. It would be very difficult for anyone else to help you as you do not know exactly what the dog's problem is and the dog may need prescriptive medication to cure the problem.

Question: Treating a Puppy for Worms

My 5 month old puppy has worms. They only show up in his poo and he is behaving as normal. He was treated for worms at the vet every 2 weeks until he was 10 weeks old, and every month since then. Why has the worming not worked? His last treatment was 2 weeks ago. When can I reworm? Tapeworms/roundworms?

By Zoe

Most Recent Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL [8]07/25/2014

The person you should be asking these questions is your current Veterinarian. If the prescribed treatment is obviously not working ask why. Alternative change your Vet. Good luck

Question: Getting Rid of Worms in a Puppy

My vet found whip and hook worms. What do I do?

By Chance from FL

Most Recent Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL [8]02/19/2014

Change your Vet if their diagnosis is worms but they can't treat them.

Question: Giving a Puppy Medicine for Worms

white and black puppy on lapI was wondering if it is OK to give a 5 month old puppy worm medicine after just giving a dose 6 days ago. She still has worms and I can't afford take her to vet for 2 weeks.

By Mary from Dallas, TX

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]01/24/2014

If you can't afford to take your puppy to the vet for another two weeks, at least ring to the vet office and ask if it's OK to give the pup more worming meds.

None of us can answer because we don't know what you've already given your dog. If you were given medicine at the last visit, there may be some really good reasons your vet should be consulted before giving more - you might cause your puppy serious harm otherwise.

If it was an over-the-counter medication you bought in a shop, re-read the directions to get your answer. (Still, it's probably not a good idea to re-dose without checking with the vet first)

If you are a regular client of your vet office there should be no problem (or charge) for you to ring and ask a question, most vets will be glad to answer - especially if the answer could mean life or death for your puppy.

Question: Dog Has Worms

My Shipoo has white worms in his stool, I give him monthly meds. Why is this happening?

By Mary from PA

Most Recent Answer

By jean leiner [14]10/22/2013

Probably because the med you are giving is not effective against the type of worms the dog has. This calls for a vet visit or at least a vet examination of a stool sample and a different medication. Hope you are able to solve the problem.

Question: Dog Acting Sick After Being Wormed

I dewormed my eight month old Rott with D-Worm combo for round worms, hook worm, and tape worms. It's been two days and now he is still acting sluggish and not eating. He just wants to lay and eat dirt. He sleeps all the time and he shows symptoms of still having worms of some sort. He is licking his paws constantly.

By Nakye

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri [6]09/19/2013

Hello,
    Was this a medication dispensed by your Veterinarian? If not, you should take him to your Veterinarian for an exam, not eating can be very serious. How did you know which type of worms he had/has? Did you take a fecal sample to your Vet so he could put the sample under a microscope to determine which worm to treat? Your Veterinarian will dispense the proper medication. The medication is given according to the weight of your dog. Please take him in.... Good luck, by the way there is NOT an over the counter medication to rid your pet of any type of worm, it must be given by your Vet.

Question: Home Remedy for Worming Dogs

How can I deworm a puppy without paying an expensive vet? Isn't there a place I can purchase the deworming solution? I am fostering a stray and already have two dogs that can get contaminated by the foster. I do not want this to happen, but cannot afford the vet bill right now. What do I do?

By Hollie from Bossier, LA

Most Recent Answer

By Frances Adams [11]07/17/2010

We have 8 dogs, most of them working dogs, and I do most of the medicating myself.
    It depends on the type of worms they have. I use Pyrantel liquid wormer. It is available at Walmart in a small size, and at most feed stores in a larger bottle. Just follow the label directions. It doesn't work on all worms, so be sure that you are treating the correct kind.
    Best of luck to you!

Question: Dog Vomiting and Not Eating After Worming

My dog got wormed two days ago and since yesterday he has been vomiting and hasn't been eating. He has been taking water. How do I help him?

By Ellen

Question: Worming a Puppy

I have given my 14 week puppy a whole worming tablet by mistake will this harm him?

By Julie

Question: Treating Dogs for Round Worms

My puppy has round worms and I got her dewormer. Can my other two dogs still get the round worms from the puppy?

By Jasmine