Remedies for Worms in Dogs

Some pet owners prefer to treat worms with products and remedies other than medications from a vet. This is a guide about remedies for worms in dogs.

A veterinarian holding a dog.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 6, 2015 Flag

My dogs have these long skinny white worms in their poo. I was told that nicotine from cigarettes gets rid of worms. He said mix it in the can of food and the dogs will eat it and that it won't hurt them at all. Is that true?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

All types of nicotine plants are poisonous.

Read More Answers...

July 9, 2011 Flag

Does anyone know of an organic (home remedy) for worms in dogs? I have tried several over the counter treatments and my Yorkie still has worms. I am disabled and can not afford to take him to the vet, and my vet will not let me make payments. It really hurts me to see my dog so uncomfortable. Please help!

By Janice I.

Best Answer

Irrespective of the Dogs size ask your Veterinarian for Drontal Allwormer. You can give this to the animal yourself. There are several different kinds of worms. To be honest, for the amount of money you have spent buying "over the counter" products that have apparently proven useless, you could have bought the correct tablet and dosage for your Dog's size and weight. The situation will only get worse without correct treatment.

Read More Answers...

February 21, 2011 Flag

My Yorkie has tapeworms and the vet is charging too much. What are some remedies to kill tape worms?

By Martin from Houston, TX

Best Answer

If you value your dog's life, then she needs a doctor just like you do sometimes. In the summertime use something (Diatomacious earth or Frontline) to keep the fleas off of her so she doesn't get tapeworms in the first place. I hope you are aware that Tapeworms can and will kill a dog if not treated.

Read More Answers...

September 29, 2013 Flag

Light brown puppy.My mom was given a puppy from our neighbor because it was either find someone or send it to the pound and my mom wouldn't let that happen. Recently, I've noticed, both in her feces and as she laying down, coming out of her rear end, some white larva looking worms (almost positive they're roundworms). I read on a separate site that you could try a home remedy and give her cloves to get rid of them, but it wasn't exactly specific on how much or how to feed them to her (whether to crush them up or whole), so what should I do?

By Kristina M.

Best Answer

Take this sweet puppy to your Veterinarian.

Read More Answers...

February 23, 2015 Flag

white puppyI just bought an 8 week old, 3/4 Husky, 1/4 Shepherd puppy from a lady. She told me she dewormed it, but no shots. Is there anyway of knowing if she actually did deworming, as well how often should deworming be done? What is the lowest cost place possible to get the wormer, as I am a single mom with sole custody and tight on funds.

By Stacey

Best Answer

What a beautiful puppy. Do not forget shots that she needs right away. Parvo is common and deadly without shots, and is a terrible and painful death for the dog. You cannot skip her puppy shots. A vet can worm your puppy when you go for shots. Remember that any pet will have Vet bills. You cannot avoid it.

Read More Answers...

September 6, 2013 Flag

How do I manage my dog's worms without dog wormer?

By Andrea W from Stover, MO

Best Answer

Hello...

First of all, which worms do you want to treat? Tapeworms, Roundworms? There is a different medication for each. Please take your dog to his/her Veterinarian to find out which worms to treat. Bring a fresh stool sample with you, so your Veterinarian can evaluate which worms to treat.

Please be advised there is not an over the counter medication to treat any type of worms in a cat/dog. Please take him, so he can feel better, dogs can get very ill from having worms for any long period of time. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 25 years.

Good luck...

Read More Answers...

August 26, 2015 Flag

I have 2 dogs and I have bought the Dog Worms 3. I gave the first dose and it has not killed the worms. I need to know when is it safe to give the second dose. I have tried the diatomaceous earth and it had no affect. I am desperate. The vets here want full payment and I cannot pay the 85.00 that they want. Please help.

Best Answer

There are several worm varieties that your dog might have. Some worms such as roundworms can be killed by "over the counter" worm medications. However, "over the counter" medications do not always work effectively because, very often, the dog owner chooses the wrong medication or does not provide the medication properly. If the problems continue, the only effective treatment should be with a veterinarian.

Other species of worms, such as heartworms, require ongoing veterinarian care for evaluation, tests and prescription medication, usually provided over time.

Read More Answers...

March 2, 2011 Flag

What can I use at home to get rid of my dog's worms? I have spent lots of money on different dewormers from the store and still he has worms. I would like to try something from home. Please help.

By Lora from Rio Vista, CA

Best Answer

Go to a feedstore and get a bag of diatomaceous earth. Call first and find out if it's sold in small sizes. It cost me $2 for a 1 pound bag.

It can be mixed in the animal's food or applied to its coat. It works and it's cheap:

"Pets:

In case a bug decides to take up residence in their fur. You can protect them and yourself with Fossil Shell Flour (diatomaceous earth). When lightly rubbed into their coats it is very effective against fleas, ticks, lice, and other pests on pet dogs, cats, and their premises. You can puff it into the soft furniture in your house, the rug and all over the basement too.

Diatomaceous Earth Kills Pests Naturally - It is a mineral dust mined from quarries that kills the insects when they come in contact with it and it does vaporize or go away over time. Once it's in place it works every time and it's nontoxic..

It can also be used as an organic wormer and will kill any worms or parasites the pets may have.

* Cows/Horses get 1-2 oz per day

* Sheep/Goats/Hogs get 1/2 oz per day

* Cats get 1/2 teaspoon per day

* Large Cats - 1 teaspoon

* Kittens - 1/4 teaspoon

* Dog 100 lbs + - 2 tablespoon

* 50 - 100lbs - 1 tablespoon

* Under 50 lbs - 1 teaspoons

* Mini dogs - 1/2 teaspoon ..." -

http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-Earth.html

Read More Answers...

November 28, 2013 Flag

We inherited a six year old Lab. She has worms in her stool. What would be the best meds to give her?

By Gayla

Best Answer

Nemex is great to buy. Also the other thing is that tapeworms need the other kind of wormer. The safeguard wormer for dogs should get rid of tapeworms.

You can buy the safeguard dewormer for dogs at the feed supply store along with nemex as well. The safeguard has to be given three days in a row to get rid of hookworms. Safeguard is for the tapeworms that a dog will always have from fleas, and the nemex is for the other kind of worms.

Read More Answers...

November 27, 2013 Flag

Hi, my puppy is 3-4 months old. My husband and I noticed 2 white flat worms on her butt. From what I read they're called tapeworms. So my question is how can you get rid of the parasites a natural way, without going to the vet? I love her dearly but low on money. I know the best way is the vet. Does someone know of another solution. Please help and thanks for all answers.

By Lacey GC

Best Answer

Buy an over the counter dewormer and give a second dose in 2 weeks.

Read More Answers...

January 28, 2015 Flag

My puppy vomited worms 2 days ago, and he is not eating anything, just water. Is it OK to give him dewormer even if he is not eating?

By Jean

Best Answer

Yes, dewormer can and should be administered. They are given to shelter rescue dogs that are sick and not eating all the time.

However, if your dog has heartworms, dewormer won't kill them. Heartworm prevention is inexpensive and easy, but heartworm once contracted can damage the heart and has to be treated, expensively, by a vet. Have your dog checked for heartworm. It's a blood test.

It would have been really valuable to bring in the vomit sample so the vet would know exactly which worms to treat, but that didn't happen.They may have to do blood tests to find out. Does your puppy have all its shots? If it doesn't, set up an appointment to start the vaccinations as well.

Read More Answers...

August 13, 2013 Flag

My baby Chihuahuas have worms; they look like sesame seeds. How do I get rid of them?

By Stephanie

Best Answer

Hello,

Please take your baby to his/her Veterinarian. It is probably time to start vaccinations anyway. Please take a stool sample with you so your Veterinarian can determine which worms they are and which medication to dispense to you.

Read More Answers...

August 11, 2013 Flag

I have 4, 6 week old puppies that I have already dewormed 3 times. They are eating canned food twice a day and nursing on momma only when she lets 1 or 2, but not often as they have teeth. The little female sneezes a lot like when she gets an upset tummy. How long will it take to get rid of these worms and is it normal for them to try eat their feces? This is first time I've had this problem and I've had some pretty pups I've given away in last 2 yrs.

By bb27803

Best Answer

Have you dewormed the mother dog? She may be passing them to the pups.

Read More Answers...

June 17, 2013 Flag

My female Pit threw up little white maggot looking worm. What can I do to treat? I don't get paid for 10-11 days. Help please.

By kirkroberts90

Best Answer

Your dog has worms and the vet will give you something. They are more than likely roundworms. See if you have an ASPCA or Humane Society or Animal Shelter around you that might give him a dose of wormer and you could pay them back later.

When you get paid, you can take him to the vet and have them worm him.

If you still can't afford to go to the vets, then you need to do the deworming yourself, which I would use this product which is for roundworms and hookworms:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ ... od_display.cfm?pcatid=1430&rel=1

Or you could use this one which is for roundwoms and hookworms:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=522

These above do not remove tapeworms, but the tape worns will be in the dogs stool, and they kind of look like little grains of rice that move.

The product to use for the tapeworms would be safeguard, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13555

It removes one type of tape worm. Also, after following directions on the box, you can also take in a stool sample to the vets and confirm that the worms are gone.

Blessings,

Robyn

Read More Answers...

November 23, 2014 Flag

My 16 year old German Shepherd/Pit Bull mix has worms. I called the vet and he told me to give him dewormer, but I don't want to give him harsh chemicals because of his age.
      What should I give him?

By Destiney B

Best Answer

It's best to take a stool sample to the vet to determine which kind of worms. Your dog will only need a dose of one particular chemical for that worm, not all of them across the board.

Read More Answers...

August 14, 2013 Flag

My dog is pooping out worms and they are crawling out the butt. They are long worms. What do I do?

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Load More
      Pets Dogs AdviceFebruary 24, 2013
      Worm in the Lawn
      Getting Rid of Worms in the Lawn
      growing tomatoes
      Worms Eating Tomatoes
      cat
      Remedies for Worms in Cats
      A dog and its owner.
      Can Humans Catch Worms From Dogs?
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 23, 2016 at 11:06:29 PM on 10.0.1.124 in 396 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.