Remedies for Worms in Dogs

Some pet owners prefer to treat worms with products and remedies other than medications from a vet. This is a guide about remedies for worms in dogs.

I looked and looked for alternative to treat my rescues for tapeworms and somewhere I came across a recommendation to use Safeguard for horses, then it took forever to get through that advice. I took the advice to use a dime to nickel size dosage of the paste for the size of my dogs (16 to 22 lbs), three days in a row. It worked way better than the expensive pills at the vet. My one little dog is 16 and has seizures, which stopped after I quit with the shots and flea meds and he was fine on it. It was like a miracle for us.

At Bahamatude, we are especially looking for alternatives to help pets in the out islands of the Bahamas where there is a choice, help yourself and the animals or go without a vet.

Does anyone know of an organic (home remedy) for worms in dogs? I have tried several over the counter treatments and my Yorkie still has worms. I am disabled and can not afford to take him to the vet, and my vet will not let me make payments. It really hurts me to see my dog so uncomfortable. Please help!

By Janice I.

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

I have used a product called diatomaceous earth for quite a while now. I bought it on the internet. It has to be food grade to use on animals. There is another grade which is used for swimming pools, etc. You sprinkle a little on the dog's food every day for a month. After that you only use it once a month, I think. It kills the worms with no effect on the dog. I swear by it.

My dogs have these long skinny white worms in their poo. I was told that nicotine from cigarettes gets rid of worms. He said mix it in the can of food and the dogs will eat it and that it won't hurt them at all. Is that true?

Best Answer

Hi,

Those are roundworms. Go to any farm supply store or Tractor Supply store and get Nemex.

http://www.trac  oral-liquid-2-oz

My Yorkie has tapeworms and the vet is charging too much. What are some remedies to kill tape worms?

By Martin from Houston, TX

Best Answer

I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years and there is not a home remedy for tapeworms. Tapeworms are caused by fleas. Please apply advantage or frontline to your fur baby. Please take your baby to the Veterinarian for the proper medication to treat her. Good luck

My mom was given a puppy from our neighbor because it was either find someone or send it to the pound and my mom wouldn't let that happen. Recently, I've noticed, both in her feces and as she laying down, coming out of her rear end, some white larva looking worms (almost positive they're roundworms). I read on a separate site that you could try a home remedy and give her cloves to get rid of them, but it wasn't exactly specific on how much or how to feed them to her (whether to crush them up or whole), so what should I do?

By Kristina M.

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Take this sweet puppy to your Veterinarian.

How do I manage my dog's worms without dog wormer?

By Andrea W from Stover, MO

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Food grade Diatomaceous Earth. Get it at your local feed store. Do an web search on DE for all the benefits.

Hi, my puppy is 3-4 months old. My husband and I noticed 2 white flat worms on her butt. From what I read they're called tapeworms. So my question is how can you get rid of the parasites a natural way, without going to the vet? I love her dearly but low on money. I know the best way is the vet. Does someone know of another solution. Please help and thanks for all answers.

By Lacey GC

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Buy an over the counter dewormer and give a second dose in 2 weeks.

I just bought an 8 week old, 3/4 Husky, 1/4 Shepherd puppy from a lady. She told me she dewormed it, but no shots. Is there anyway of knowing if she actually did deworming, as well how often should deworming be done? What is the lowest cost place possible to get the wormer, as I am a single mom with sole custody and tight on funds.

By Stacey

Best Answer

Usually a pup's 1st worming is at 2 weeks. Then at 4 or 6 weeks. It's not a big problem, the vet can tell if a worming is needed when you go for shots etc. I have no idea about vets in your country :) Enjoy your pet and good luck.

We inherited a six year old Lab. She has worms in her stool. What would be the best meds to give her?

By Gayla

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Nemex is great to buy. Also the other thing is that tapeworms need the other kind of wormer. The safeguard wormer for dogs should get rid of tapeworms.

You can buy the safeguard dewormer for dogs at the feed supply store along with nemex as well. The safeguard has to be given three days in a row to get rid of hookworms. Safeguard is for the tapeworms that a dog will always have from fleas, and the nemex is for the other kind of worms.

My baby Chihuahuas have worms; they look like sesame seeds. How do I get rid of them?

By Stephanie

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Hello,

Please take your baby to his/her Veterinarian. It is probably time to start vaccinations anyway. Please take a stool sample with you so your Veterinarian can determine which worms they are and which medication to dispense to you.

I have 4, 6 week old puppies that I have already dewormed 3 times. They are eating canned food twice a day and nursing on momma only when she lets 1 or 2, but not often as they have teeth. The little female sneezes a lot like when she gets an upset tummy. How long will it take to get rid of these worms and is it normal for them to try eat their feces? This is first time I've had this problem and I've had some pretty pups I've given away in last 2 yrs.

By bb27803

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Have you dewormed the mother dog? She may be passing them to the pups.

I have 2 dogs and I have bought the Dog Worms 3. I gave the first dose and it has not killed the worms. I need to know when is it safe to give the second dose. I have tried the diatomaceous earth and it had no affect. I am desperate. The vets here want full payment and I cannot pay the 85.00 that they want. Please help.

Best Answer

There are several worm varieties that your dog might have. Some worms such as roundworms can be killed by "over the counter" worm medications. However, "over the counter" medications do not always work effectively because, very often, the dog owner chooses the wrong medication or does not provide the medication properly. If the problems continue, the only effective treatment should be with a veterinarian.

Other species of worms, such as heartworms, require ongoing veterinarian care for evaluation, tests and prescription medication, usually provided over time.

My female Pit threw up little white maggot looking worm. What can I do to treat? I don't get paid for 10-11 days. Help please.

By kirkroberts90

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Your dog has worms and the vet will give you something. They are more than likely roundworms. See if you have an ASPCA or Humane Society or Animal Shelter around you that might give him a dose of wormer and you could pay them back later.

When you get paid, you can take him to the vet and have them worm him.

If you still can't afford to go to the vets, then you need to do the deworming yourself, which I would use this product which is for roundworms and hookworms:

http://www.drsf  d=1430&rel=1

Or you could use this one which is for roundwoms and hookworms:

http://www.drsf  y.cfm?pcatid=522

These above do not remove tapeworms, but the tape worns will be in the dogs stool, and they kind of look like little grains of rice that move.

The product to use for the tapeworms would be safeguard, http://www.drsf  cfm?pcatid=13555

It removes one type of tape worm. Also, after following directions on the box, you can also take in a stool sample to the vets and confirm that the worms are gone.

Blessings,

Robyn

My puppy vomited worms 2 days ago, and he is not eating anything, just water. Is it OK to give him dewormer even if he is not eating?

By Jean

Best Answer

Yes, dewormer can and should be administered. They are given to shelter rescue dogs that are sick and not eating all the time.

However, if your dog has heartworms, dewormer won't kill them. Heartworm prevention is inexpensive and easy, but heartworm once contracted can damage the heart and has to be treated, expensively, by a vet. Have your dog checked for heartworm. It's a blood test.

It would have been really valuable to bring in the vomit sample so the vet would know exactly which worms to treat, but that didn't happen.They may have to do blood tests to find out. Does your puppy have all its shots? If it doesn't, set up an appointment to start the vaccinations as well.

My dog is pooping out worms and they are crawling out the butt. They are long worms. What do I do?

By Mark

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Take some of the worms to your Vet and he will give you medicine to get rid of the worms. Be careful about home remedies for worms, some can be very dangerous.

I just wormed my 5 month puppy and later in the day I noticed tiny spots of blood on the floor in his room. Is this normal?

By Amber from Australia

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

You never stated the Brand product used, dosage given, or who recommended this. Never purchase any internal products for your animal. Please take your dog to your Veterinarian because bleeding in any form needs to be determined by the professionals.

My 16 year old German Shepherd/Pit Bull mix has worms. I called the vet and he told me to give him dewormer, but I don't want to give him harsh chemicals because of his age.
What should I give him?

By Destiney B

Best Answer

It's best to take a stool sample to the vet to determine which kind of worms. Your dog will only need a dose of one particular chemical for that worm, not all of them across the board.

What is a home remedy to get rid of hook worms? I have a 9 week old Pit. Her gums are pitch white and she grunts a lot. I just gave her a dewormer that's for hook worms, tape worms, and another type. I'm really worried about her. Please help!

When a puppy has white or gray gums they are very sick, and in danger of dying. Your dog needs health care immediately. If you can afford it get her to the Vet who will see you the quickest. An emergency vet would be appropriate. You can surrender your dog to the humane society and she will receive medical care and be found a new home. Whatever you do, dont wait.

Could worming my 12wk old puppy cause a little blood in the poo?

By Gillian

Best Answer

I don't think worming could cause blood in the stool. However it is a huge red flag for PARVO. Parvo is a very serious disease young puppies can get that can be fatal really fast. Get your puppy directly to a vet.

I have a 4 year old Pit Bull mix. She seems to have worms.

You can get canine dewormer from Amazon or pet stores. However, it is not prescription strength or meant for your specific type of worm. It's a general, all-purpose. That means it may not work the first time.

My three year old Catahoula Leopard dog has heart worms. Is there anything I can do for her at home for treatment instead of taking her to the vet because I don't have the money for that?

Load More