Remedies for Worms in Dogs

Some pet owners prefer to treat worms with products and remedies other than medications from a vet. This is a guide about remedies for worms in dogs.

A veterinarian holding a dog.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My dogs have these long skinny white worms in their poo. I was told that nicotine from cigarettes gets rid of worms. He said mix it in the can of food and the dogs will eat it and that it won't hurt them at all. Is that true?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

Hi,

Those are roundworms. Go to any farm supply store or Tractor Supply store and get Nemex.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr ... -2-pyrantel-pamoate-oral-liquid-2-oz

Best Answer

All types of nicotine plants are poisonous.

Read More Answers...

Does anyone know of an organic (home remedy) for worms in dogs? I have tried several over the counter treatments and my Yorkie still has worms. I am disabled and can not afford to take him to the vet, and my vet will not let me make payments. It really hurts me to see my dog so uncomfortable. Please help!

By Janice I.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

A breeder once told me he used cloves of garlic to rid his dogs of worms. Remove the skins and crush into food or feed whole pieces if your dog will eat them. Also try calling some different vets in your area. You will most likely find one who will accept a payment plan. You will most likely need a vet at some point, so it's worth the effort. Good luck!

Best Answer

I have used a product called diatomaceous earth for quite a while now. I bought it on the internet. It has to be food grade to use on animals. There is another grade which is used for swimming pools, etc. You sprinkle a little on the dog's food every day for a month. After that you only use it once a month, I think. It kills the worms with no effect on the dog. I swear by it.

Best Answer

Irrespective of the Dogs size ask your Veterinarian for Drontal Allwormer. You can give this to the animal yourself. There are several different kinds of worms. To be honest, for the amount of money you have spent buying "over the counter" products that have apparently proven useless, you could have bought the correct tablet and dosage for your Dog's size and weight. The situation will only get worse without correct treatment.

Read More Answers...

My Yorkie has tapeworms and the vet is charging too much. What are some remedies to kill tape worms?

By Martin from Houston, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

Go to a different vet! My vet charged $25 for one dog and $33 for the other - don't really know why, but they got different medications. That's a lot cheaper, tho, than what your vet quoted. By the way, they sold me the pills to give the dogs myself - I didn't have to pay them to dose the dogs.

Best Answer

Go to a local Feed & Seed store or even some small private owned pharmacy, and ask for the medicine to treat tapeworms in dogs. The pharmacy we have sold me the meds for less than $3. You will have to know how much your dog weighs. That will determine which and how much meds it will need.

Best Answer

I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years and there is not a home remedy for tapeworms. Tapeworms are caused by fleas. Please apply advantage or frontline to your fur baby. Please take your baby to the Veterinarian for the proper medication to treat her. Good luck

Best Answer

If you value your dog's life, then she needs a doctor just like you do sometimes. In the summertime use something (Diatomacious earth or Frontline) to keep the fleas off of her so she doesn't get tapeworms in the first place. I hope you are aware that Tapeworms can and will kill a dog if not treated.

Read More Answers...

white puppyI just bought an 8 week old, 3/4 Husky, 1/4 Shepherd puppy from a lady. She told me she dewormed it, but no shots. Is there anyway of knowing if she actually did deworming, as well how often should deworming be done? What is the lowest cost place possible to get the wormer, as I am a single mom with sole custody and tight on funds.

By Stacey

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

Usually a pup's 1st worming is at 2 weeks. Then at 4 or 6 weeks. It's not a big problem, the vet can tell if a worming is needed when you go for shots etc. I have no idea about vets in your country :) Enjoy your pet and good luck.

Best Answer

What a beautiful puppy. Do not forget shots that she needs right away. Parvo is common and deadly without shots, and is a terrible and painful death for the dog. You cannot skip her puppy shots. A vet can worm your puppy when you go for shots. Remember that any pet will have Vet bills. You cannot avoid it.

Light brown puppy.My mom was given a puppy from our neighbor because it was either find someone or send it to the pound and my mom wouldn't let that happen. Recently, I've noticed, both in her feces and as she laying down, coming out of her rear end, some white larva looking worms (almost positive they're roundworms). I read on a separate site that you could try a home remedy and give her cloves to get rid of them, but it wasn't exactly specific on how much or how to feed them to her (whether to crush them up or whole), so what should I do?

By Kristina M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

Take this sweet puppy to your Veterinarian.

Read More Answers...

I have 2 dogs and I have bought the Dog Worms 3. I gave the first dose and it has not killed the worms. I need to know when is it safe to give the second dose. I have tried the diatomaceous earth and it had no affect. I am desperate. The vets here want full payment and I cannot pay the 85.00 that they want. Please help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

There are several worm varieties that your dog might have. Some worms such as roundworms can be killed by "over the counter" worm medications. However, "over the counter" medications do not always work effectively because, very often, the dog owner chooses the wrong medication or does not provide the medication properly. If the problems continue, the only effective treatment should be with a veterinarian.

Other species of worms, such as heartworms, require ongoing veterinarian care for evaluation, tests and prescription medication, usually provided over time.

Read More Answers...

How do I manage my dog's worms without dog wormer?

By Andrea W from Stover, MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

Food grade Diatomaceous Earth. Get it at your local feed store. Do an web search on DE for all the benefits.

Best Answer

Hello...

First of all, which worms do you want to treat? Tapeworms, Roundworms? There is a different medication for each. Please take your dog to his/her Veterinarian to find out which worms to treat. Bring a fresh stool sample with you, so your Veterinarian can evaluate which worms to treat.

Please be advised there is not an over the counter medication to treat any type of worms in a cat/dog. Please take him, so he can feel better, dogs can get very ill from having worms for any long period of time. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 25 years.

Good luck...

What can I use at home to get rid of my dog's worms? I have spent lots of money on different dewormers from the store and still he has worms. I would like to try something from home. Please help.

By Lora from Rio Vista, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

Go to a feedstore and get a bag of diatomaceous earth. Call first and find out if it's sold in small sizes. It cost me $2 for a 1 pound bag.

It can be mixed in the animal's food or applied to its coat. It works and it's cheap:

"Pets:

In case a bug decides to take up residence in their fur. You can protect them and yourself with Fossil Shell Flour (diatomaceous earth). When lightly rubbed into their coats it is very effective against fleas, ticks, lice, and other pests on pet dogs, cats, and their premises. You can puff it into the soft furniture in your house, the rug and all over the basement too.

Diatomaceous Earth Kills Pests Naturally - It is a mineral dust mined from quarries that kills the insects when they come in contact with it and it does vaporize or go away over time. Once it's in place it works every time and it's nontoxic..

It can also be used as an organic wormer and will kill any worms or parasites the pets may have.

* Cows/Horses get 1-2 oz per day

* Sheep/Goats/Hogs get 1/2 oz per day

* Cats get 1/2 teaspoon per day

* Large Cats - 1 teaspoon

* Kittens - 1/4 teaspoon

* Dog 100 lbs + - 2 tablespoon

* 50 - 100lbs - 1 tablespoon

* Under 50 lbs - 1 teaspoons

* Mini dogs - 1/2 teaspoon ..." -

http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-Earth.html

Read More Answers...

We inherited a six year old Lab. She has worms in her stool. What would be the best meds to give her?

By Gayla

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

Nemex is great to buy. Also the other thing is that tapeworms need the other kind of wormer. The safeguard wormer for dogs should get rid of tapeworms.

You can buy the safeguard dewormer for dogs at the feed supply store along with nemex as well. The safeguard has to be given three days in a row to get rid of hookworms. Safeguard is for the tapeworms that a dog will always have from fleas, and the nemex is for the other kind of worms.

Read More Answers...

Hi, my puppy is 3-4 months old. My husband and I noticed 2 white flat worms on her butt. From what I read they're called tapeworms. So my question is how can you get rid of the parasites a natural way, without going to the vet? I love her dearly but low on money. I know the best way is the vet. Does someone know of another solution. Please help and thanks for all answers.

By Lacey GC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

Buy an over the counter dewormer and give a second dose in 2 weeks.

Read More Answers...

My puppy vomited worms 2 days ago, and he is not eating anything, just water. Is it OK to give him dewormer even if he is not eating?

By Jean

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

Yes, dewormer can and should be administered. They are given to shelter rescue dogs that are sick and not eating all the time.

However, if your dog has heartworms, dewormer won't kill them. Heartworm prevention is inexpensive and easy, but heartworm once contracted can damage the heart and has to be treated, expensively, by a vet. Have your dog checked for heartworm. It's a blood test.

It would have been really valuable to bring in the vomit sample so the vet would know exactly which worms to treat, but that didn't happen.They may have to do blood tests to find out. Does your puppy have all its shots? If it doesn't, set up an appointment to start the vaccinations as well.

Read More Answers...

My baby Chihuahuas have worms; they look like sesame seeds. How do I get rid of them?

By Stephanie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

Hello,

Please take your baby to his/her Veterinarian. It is probably time to start vaccinations anyway. Please take a stool sample with you so your Veterinarian can determine which worms they are and which medication to dispense to you.

Read More Answers...

I have 4, 6 week old puppies that I have already dewormed 3 times. They are eating canned food twice a day and nursing on momma only when she lets 1 or 2, but not often as they have teeth. The little female sneezes a lot like when she gets an upset tummy. How long will it take to get rid of these worms and is it normal for them to try eat their feces? This is first time I've had this problem and I've had some pretty pups I've given away in last 2 yrs.

By bb27803

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

Have you dewormed the mother dog? She may be passing them to the pups.

Read More Answers...
      Load More
      Pets Dogs AdviceFebruary 24, 2013
      Worm in the Lawn
      Getting Rid of Worms in the Lawn
      growing tomatoes
      Worms Eating Tomatoes
      cat
      Remedies for Worms in Cats
      A dog and its owner.
      Can Humans Catch Worms From Dogs?
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 8:05:49 AM on 10.0.2.213 in 697 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.