Remedies for Your Pet's Dry Feet

Category Health
Dog's paw, showing pads.
Your pet's foot pads can become dry and even cracked. There are things you can do to relieve the pain and hydrate their feet. This is a guide about remedies for your pet's dry feet.

If your pet gets dry crusty foot pads during the winter, the product Bag Balm is safe to use. If they lick it off, it won't hurt them. Try to massage it in if your pet will let you. It's good for dog feet, cat feet, chinchilla feet, and other feet I'm sure. (It's good for human feet too.)

By coolchinchilla

My dog has rough paw pads. Is there anything I can do to make them softer so they don't scratch me?

By Bonnie1944 from Leesburg, FL

Hi Leesburg, from Ocala, go to your local feed store (seminole feed) get a product called Chapgaurd. It is actually a type of udder cream for cows but works great for rough chapped skin. Is non-greasy and pleasant smell. comes in 1 lb. tub. we used it on my fiance dog's feet for same problem worked great!

Agree with another poster who mentioned "Bag Balm" in the green 10 oz. tin; it's put out by the Dairy Association Co. and available at Wal-Mart.

In a pinch, though, the main ingredient in this stuff is basically Vaseline/petroleum jelly.

Both remedies are on the greasy side, so we apply sparingly and massage it in thoroughly; blot the dog's paws with a towel afterward so you're not getting greasy paw tracks throughout the house and on the furniture.

Saw another poster mentioned Chapguard, and as being non-greasy; I'll have to try to find that one!

For preventative measures. We have hounds used for hunting (they are also pets). There is a product called 'Pad Kote' made by Happy Jack dog products, and is usually avail in any rural area that has a feed store. It may be available elsewhere. It is painted on the toes and pads to help toughen them up---they don't get dry and scratchy, but helps to protect their pads when they are out doing their jobs. Of course, this can't be used on irritated, broken, or blistered skin.

Anonymous

There are some products you can buy at petsmart or pet co and I heard that vaseline works as long as they don't lick it.

According to the vet at the animal hospital we take our dog to you should never ever soften the pads of a dog's feet. If they are softened, then they can be easily cut or damaged which can lead to infection. Leave them alone, it is a normal thing for the pads to be rough.

My golden retriever has rough paws and they would also get sore in the winter. so once a week i gently rub in warmed olive oil. take your time and really work in (my dog loves this and would lie still for hours) it protects the paws from winter as were in SD and have lots of winter! Plus it softens his pads and they aren't so rough and its all natural.hope this helps.

My daughter's rescued mutt dog had distemper some 8 months ago. A medical souvenir of this disease is a very rough nose and paws. A small price to pay for survival. But now the poor dog has horribly scratchy paws. I am looking for suggestions to restore a more normal texture to his paws? Approximately 21 months old. Vet guesses part American pit bull terrier and part anyone's guess.

Thanks,
Holly from Richardson, TX

Answers:

Dog With Rough Paws

You probably need to work from the inside out. Omega fatty acids should help. Fish oil, borage oil & flax, Walmart has a large bottle for around $13.00. It also could be diet related. I'd try a bland rice and/or oatmeal and chicken, and/or kidney, or whatever lean meat is on sale with a few veggies, frozen peas, carrots and a half can mackerel mixed in. Do this twice a week and see if it doesn't start clearing up in about a month. It could even take a little longer. Good luck.

(08/01/2008)

By Tumpy

Dog With Rough Paws

Good for you for rescuing a dog & how wonderful he made it through. And who cares what mix they are! I have one I had 2 DNA tests on & both tests were basically, no clue. She's adorable to me anyway. Starting from the inside out is good but in the meantime you can buy balm for the paws at most pet supply places. I believe it's call Bag Balm. I don't know if it can be applied to the nose but you can read the container. I'm surprised the vet didn't have any suggestions. One of my dogs has rough feet & he's perfectly healthy. It's because they are never on any rough ground to wear it off. They are only on carpet, tile & grass. (08/01/2008)

By Me

Dog With Rough Paws

Try mane and tail hoof cream or udder cream, both can be found at Petsmart, both work great. If your dogs get dry skin and bald patches try corn huskers lotion. This worked great on our dog, a britney spaniel-doberman mix. (08/01/2008)

By audrey

Dog With Rough Paws

HSN has a wonderful paw cream, here is the link:
http://home-solutions.hsn.com/royal-treatment-papaya-and-aloe-wipes-with-paw-cream_p-3263821_xp.aspx?sz=0andcat=anddept=hw0033andsf=hwandgs=andsubcat=andattr=ando=-RIandprev=hp!sf!deptandocm=HW%7Chw0033andccm=HW|hw0033

Just in case the link won't work just go to HSN.com and enter this in the search:
Royal Treatment Papaya and Aloe Wipes with Paw CreamItem: 222-438
These products are the best and all natural!

If you don't do HSN you can go to their web site and use this:
http://www.getroyaltreatment.com/products-gr-wipes-pawcream.htm

Here is what they say about their Wild Strawberries Paw Cream:

Royal Treatment Italian Pet Spa by Prince Lorenzo Borghese is formulated with human-grade botanicals from the Tuscan countryside. All products respect the skin's pH and are void of harmful chemicals, resulting in superior cleanliness and comfort for the most noble among us.
Formulated with Wild Strawberries, Raspberries, Shea Butter and Aloe Vera, this hydrating formula helps to protect precious paws from drying damage caused by rough surfaces, salt and hot asphalt. Ideal for pets and working dogs. All natural formula. Quick drying formula helps to keep furniture safe from stains.

You can look at what people have to say about their products at HSN also, I use their shampoo's and conditioner's on my pets and wouldn't think of using anything else. (08/01/2008)

By iliao93

Dog With Rough Paws

Bag balm in the little green tin. You can get it in most stores. It is great for the animal's paws and is an anti bacterial and healing ointment. Cathy from MA (08/01/2008)

Dog With Rough Paws

Another vote for Bag Balm. Don't know who might carry in TX but it shouldn't be too hard to find. Local Co-op maybe or farm store. It's very much lanolin. (08/01/2008)

By BeanTownSteve

Dog With Rough Paws

Walmart carries Bag Balm and Hoof and Mane products, too. (08/02/2008)

By Jeanne

Dog With Rough Paws

Hartz makes a Rosemary Skin Balm that I use on both my dog and cat's paws. They make them unbelievably soft. They both love the foot massage they get while it's being applied too! A few months ago, I read that you need to put petroleum jelly on a cat's nose to assist with hairballs, which also makes his nose very soft. (He's never had a hairball either). (08/12/2008)

By NoShowJr