Browsing: Remedies for a Dog With Diarrhea

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Remedies for a Dog With Diarrhea

Like their human owners, dogs can suffer from occasional diarrhea. Untreated it can lead to dehydration. Determining the cause, treatment, and whether you need to make a trip to the vet are the primary concerns. This is a guide about remedies for a dog with diarrhea.

Sick pug at the vet.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 1, 2007 Flag

My 4-months-old Schnauzer puppy has digestive problems (diarrhea) every time we try to feed him dry puppy food.

He came to us from the breeder with a sample of Eukanuba Small Breed Puppy, and from the first day his poop was soft/liquid and he was gassing profusely (very bad smell). We had to put him on home cooked chicken and rice blunt diet that stopped diarrhea. After that

1. We checked him with the vet twice and everything was fine there,

2. We tried twice to gradually put him back from this chicken and rice diet to dry food; first, to Eukanuba, second time, to California Natural Puppy, and every time, it was diarrhea all over again.

I do not know what to do and we need to feed him dry food! He eats very fast, does not chew kibbles and maybe, that is his problem, but I do not know how to slow him down. Every time we tried to switch food, we did it slowly and about a week or so - he started runs at about half a portion of dry food, half of soft food. Otherwise the puppy is always happy and active, whether he has diarrhea or not.

If anybody ever had this problem, please, help!

Natasha from Ashland, MA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Also, adding canned pumpkin to the food helped keep it firm

Best Answer

I have two mini Schnauzers and both have bad stomach problems. My vet told me the reason for my dogs' problems is because they are eating too much fat. She explained to me that their body can't break down fat and that is what caused all the problems. Well it cost me over 500.00 dollars to find this out so I hope I can help someone out. So with my Schnauzer I have to feed a low fat food and if I give a treat to them it also has to have low fat. This is why Schnauzers do well with chicken products and lamb because of the low fat. Well hope this helps someone.

Read More Answers...

July 8, 2011 Flag

My dog has diarrhea. She has had it for 3 days. I am giving her Pedialite. What should I do? Why is this happening?

By Jo

Best Answer

Give her Pepto Bismol. Dosage depends on her weight. It's on the side of the bottle. Give it to her no more than every 6 hours and it'll clear it right up, depending on the severity usually within 1-3 doses. I originally got this from a vet many many years ago. Since that time I've been told this by other vets countless times.

Best Answer

See a vet. They will probably recommend a bland diet which is boiled chicken, ground up, and white rice.

Read More Answers...

February 10, 2005 Flag

I used to work at a vet. While there, I learned a few "home remedies" for some common pet ailments, including diarrhea.

Instead of their usual dog food, give your pet small servings of a bland diet 4-5 times throughout the day. Choose from:

Continue to feed several small servings of this bland diet for a few days in gradually increasing amounts until a formed stool is passed. Then, start to wean your pet back to its regular food over the course of a week by gradually working in small amounts of their regular dry dog food.

Do not give your pet bones, snacks, or table scraps, because they may irritate the intestinal tract during this time.

Dogs can also be given a dose of Pepto Bismol every 6 hours. (Dosage depends on your dog's weight: 1 ml per 10 lbs.) Bonus, the Pepto Bismol also works to stop vomiting.

Two other over-the-counter medicines can be given to dogs with diarrhea: Imodium AD (1 ml per 10 lbs. every 8 hours) and Kaopectate (Dogs: 0.05-0.1 mg/pound by mouth every 8 hours. Treatment should only be needed for 1-2 days.

If diarrhea persists or worsens, contact your veterinarian.

Vet or No Vet? Fortunately, episodes of doggie diarrhea have sudden onset, are easily cured, and occur infrequently. However, diarrhea becomes clinically significant after 24 hours. Therefore, if the diarrhea has lasted a few days, or your dog is weak and listless, or there are additional problems (such as vomiting or blood in the stool), then it is time to have a veterinarian examine your pet.

While home remedies could save you a small chunk of change in a pinch, you should always consult with your veterinarian - at least via telephone - at the onset of any "symptoms".

Here's another valuable tip that I wasn't aware of until I started working at the vet:

You don't always have to lug your pet to the vet to obtain a diagnosis (and medications if there's a problem). With diarrhea, for example, you could simply take a recent sample of your pet's stool to the vet. The "fecal test" is generally very inexpensive ($10-$15) and works wonders for giving you peace of mind.

By Lynnette

August 2, 2013 Flag

I have a teacup Yorkie puppy who's going to be 8 weeks old next week. She weights 1 pound 4 ounces. She has diarrhea. Want could I give her so she could poop normally?

By Vanessab D.

Best Answer

Take the puppy to the vet ASAP. Diarrhea can mean any number of things, and in a puppy, it can be quite serious. This is not something you want to treat with home remedies.

Best Answer

Hi, it would be a good idea to take your pup in for a fecal exam. Sometimes pups can have intestinal parasites- completely treatable. Make sure your pup is drinking lots of water and some organic canned pumpkin could help temporarily. Good luck with your new puppy :)

Read More Answers...

February 6, 2015 Flag

Once a month after being spayed my miniature Dachshund gets diarrhea. I was wondering why?

By Ernest from Vancouver, WA

Best Answer

See your Vet.

As with humans, intestinal bacteria can become imbalanced (e.g. using antibiotics) causing diarrhoea or constipation. You can try giving the pup 1/2 teaspoon of plain unpasturised unsweetened yogurt daily. You can also give your dog acidophilus pills. The live acidophilus in the yogurt keeps the good bacteria in your dog's intestines in balance - dogs love this treat.Daily yogurt dose:

1/2 tablespoon - small sized dog

1 tablespoon - medium sized dog

2 tablespoon - large sized dog

Choosing a good yogurt: unpasturised unsweetened yogurt with live active cultures and no added fruit or sugar. The less ingredients, the better the quality for humans and pets.

Most dog treats/ snacks are not good for them. Give the pup a piece of carrot as a toy/ snack. Introduce vegetables with chow (spinach. carrots, small pieces of lettuce, lentil peas). Do not feed with milk - soak puppy chow in water if it is too hard to chew. No added seasonings, oil or sugar.

Could be many reasons. Your vet can examine your dog, provide a possible answer and recommend medical treatment, if needed.

February 22, 2014 Flag

Our dog is passing loose stools and also I have noticed a patch of hair loss by her ear?

By Nicola

Best Answer

Take her to there vet. She needs medical help.

May 3, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about remedies for a puppy with diarrhea. Diarrhea can be a very serious condition for your puppy. It needs prompt attention to protect your pet's health.

Sad looking english bulldog with owners hand petting him

March 25, 2015 Flag

She is not eating anything. We gave her Flagyl or gravinate syrup.

By Kholla

If your dog continues to have diarrhea, after your attempts to help her have not worked, and she is not eating, she needs veterinary help now. Your dog is suffering and needs help now.

January 18, 2015 Flag

My Yorkie has had just a little bit of diarrhea, but she is still drinking water and eating a little. She has done this for 2 days. I asked my vet and she said to give her Immodium; I have. What could be wrong? She is still playing and running around.

By JC

Dogs, like humans, can get stomach bugs. You don't have to worry unless she stops eating, has worms in stool, blood in stool, acts lethargic or wobbly, or loses weight.

Load More
Pets Dogs HealthAugust 3, 2013
Cat seeing a veterinarian.
Cat With Diarrhea
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
A woman holding her belly.
Remedies for Diarrhea
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 5:03:53 PM on 10.0.1.174 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.