Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Remedies for a Dog With Diarrhea

0 0EmailFollow
Sick pug at the vet.

Like their human owners, dogs can suffer from occasional diarrhea. Untreated it can lead to dehydration. Determining the cause, treatment, and whether you need to make a trip to the vet are the primary concerns. This is a guide about remedies for a dog with diarrhea.

Solutions: Remedies for a Dog With Diarrhea

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Home Remedies For Doggie Diarrhea

I used to work at a vet. While there, I learned a few "home remedies" for some common pet ailments, including diarrhea.

Instead of their usual dog food, give your pet small servings of a bland diet 4-5 times throughout the day. Choose from:

• cooked white rice (no butter or flavorings)
  • cottage cheese (no liquid)
  • boiled chicken (no grease, no skin, no flavorings)
  • boiled turkey (no grease, no skin, no flavorings)
  • scrambled egg (no butter or oil)
  • boiled egg (no butter or oil)
  • boiled potato (no skin or flavorings)
  • baked potato (no skin or flavorings)

Continue to feed several small servings of this bland diet for a few days in gradually increasing amounts until a formed stool is passed. Then, start to wean your pet back to its regular food over the course of a week by gradually working in small amounts of their regular dry dog food.

Do not give your pet bones, snacks, or table scraps, because they may irritate the intestinal tract during this time.

Dogs can also be given a dose of Pepto Bismol every 6 hours. (Dosage depends on your dog's weight: 1 ml per 10 lbs.) Bonus, the Pepto Bismol also works to stop vomiting.

Two other over-the-counter medicines can be given to dogs with diarrhea: Imodium AD (1 ml per 10 lbs. every 8 hours) and Kaopectate (Dogs: 0.05-0.1 mg/pound by mouth every 8 hours. Treatment should only be needed for 1-2 days.

If diarrhea persists or worsens, contact your veterinarian.

Vet or No Vet? Fortunately, episodes of doggie diarrhea have sudden onset, are easily cured, and occur infrequently. However, diarrhea becomes clinically significant after 24 hours. Therefore, if the diarrhea has lasted a few days, or your dog is weak and listless, or there are additional problems (such as vomiting or blood in the stool), then it is time to have a veterinarian examine your pet.

While home remedies could save you a small chunk of change in a pinch, you should always consult with your veterinarian - at least via telephone - at the onset of any "symptoms".

Here's another valuable tip that I wasn't aware of until I started working at the vet:

You don't always have to lug your pet to the vet to obtain a diagnosis (and medications if there's a problem). With diarrhea, for example, you could simply take a recent sample of your pet's stool to the vet. The "fecal test" is generally very inexpensive ($10-$15) and works wonders for giving you peace of mind.

By Lynnette

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Remedies for a Dog With Diarrhea.

Question: Dog Not Eating and Has Diarrhea

I have a mix Poodle. She just had her first period and is acting very differently. She does not want to eat and she has been having diarrhea for two days. Is this OK? What I can do?

By Jammi

Most Recent Answer

By Marcie [4]11/12/2014

Make sure she is drinking water. Dogs can go for several days without eating. She should be spayed, very important. There are too many unwanted dogs in this world. If diarrhea continues another day, get her to the vet. And have her spayed.

Question: Remedy for a Dog With Diarrhea

My dog has diarrhea; what is a cheap effective method of cure? I love my dog, so please help. Thank you.

By Reis

Most Recent Answer

By mltmrt [1]08/19/2014

I have found what helps is a can of chicken rice soup helps. The broth has sodium to help retain fluids in the dogs body since they are loosing so much with the diarrhea and the rice helps to 'clog up' the system (so to speak). If it doesn't start to help within the day, I would contact the vet. The dog may become dehydrated and also the dog may have come into contact with a bug in water that is making them ill.

Question: Dog Has Loose Bowel Movements

Our dog is passing loose stools and also I have noticed a patch of hair loss by her ear?

By Nicola

Best Answer

By Minga [1]02/24/2014

Take her to there vet. She needs medical help.

Question: Remedy for Puppy with Diarrhea

I have a teacup Yorkie puppy who's going to be 8 weeks old next week. She weights 1 pound 4 ounces. She has diarrhea. Want could I give her so she could poop normally?

By Vanessab D.

Most Recent Answer

By Rachel V.10/13/2013

Hi, it would be a good idea to take your pup in for a fecal exam. Sometimes pups can have intestinal parasites- completely treatable. Make sure your pup is drinking lots of water and some organic canned pumpkin could help temporarily. Good luck with your new puppy :)

Question: Dog Has Diarrhea After Swimming in the Ocean

Why does my Jack Russell have diarrhea after being in the sea? His belly does a rumbling sound then water comes out of his backend.

By K Hughes

Most Recent Answer

By Virginia T.07/12/2011

Get plain yogurt and a can of pumpkin mix several tablespoons of yogurt and add a tsp or 2 of pumpkin to it. Give it to the dog multiple times a day. The squirts will go away.

Question: Dog Has Diarrhea

My dog has diarrhea. She has had it for 3 days. I am giving her Pedialite. What should I do? Why is this happening?

By Jo

Most Recent Answer

By Virginia T.07/12/2011

1st take away all food then get plain yogurt and pumpkin mix 1 or 2 tsp of pumpkin to several tablespoons of yogurt mix and feed as often as you like the diarrhea will stop quickly. Then slowly introduce food along with the yogurt pumpkin mix.

Question: Schnauzer With Digestive Problems

My 4-months-old schnauzer puppy has digestive problems (diarrhea) every time we try to feed him dry puppy food.

He came to us from the breeder with a sample of Eukanuba Small Breed Puppy, and from the first day his poop was soft/liquid and he was gassing profusely (very bad smell). We had to put him on home cooked chicken and rice blunt diet that stopped diarrhea. After that

1. We checked him with the vet twice and everything was fine there,

2. We tried twice to gradually put him back from this chicken and rice diet to dry food; first, to Eukanuba, second time, to California Natural Puppy, and every time, it was diarrhea all over again.

I do not know what to do and we need to feed him dry food! He eats very fast, does not chew kibbles and maybe, that is his problem, but I do not know how to slow him down. Every time we tried to switch food, we did it slowly and about a week or so - he started runs at about half a portion of dry food, half of soft food. Otherwise the puppy is always happy and active, whether he has diarrhea or not.

If anybody ever had this problem, please, help!

Natasha from Ashland, MA

Most Recent Answer

By Frankie08/03/2009

I have two mini schnauzer and both have bad stomach problems. My vet told me the reason for my dogs problems is because they are eating to much fat. She explain to that there body can't not break down fat and that what cause all the problems. Well it cost my over 500.00 dollars to fine this out so hope i can help someone out. so with my schnauzer i have to feed a low fat food and if i give treat to them it also have to have low fat .This is why schnauzer do well with chicken products and lamb because of the low fa. Well hope this help someone.

Question: My Dog Has Diarrhea

My dog has diahrrea. He's had it before and responded to antibiotics and everything was "coming out" fine, but it started out again, I got antibiotics again from the vet and it's been four days and he still has loose stools.

Sorry to talk about something so non-pleasant, but I'm resorting to taking him off solid foods as that is what my dog book suggested. Anybody out there have any good ideas? My vet said he has colitis and it's awfully hard to stop the cycle. And don't suggest cottage cheese as I'm a non-dairy eater and I come from the school of thought that dairy encourages diahrrea, so I wouldn't want to give that to my dog.

Margie

Most Recent Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL [8]03/02/2013

Talk to your Veterinarian about "Scourban" and if they have never heard of it change your Vet. Good luck