Remedies for a Dog With Diarrhea

Like their human owners, dogs can suffer from occasional diarrhea. Untreated it can lead to dehydration. Determining the cause, treatment, and whether you need to make a trip to the vet are the primary concerns. This is a guide about remedies for a dog with diarrhea.

February 10, 2005 Flag

I used to work at a vet. While there, I learned a few "home remedies" for some common pet ailments, including diarrhea.

Instead of their usual dog food, give your pet small servings of a bland diet 4-5 times throughout the day. Choose from:

Continue to feed several small servings of this bland diet for a few days in gradually increasing amounts until a formed stool is passed. Then, start to wean your pet back to its regular food over the course of a week by gradually working in small amounts of their regular dry dog food.

Do not give your pet bones, snacks, or table scraps, because they may irritate the intestinal tract during this time.

Dogs can also be given a dose of Pepto Bismol every 6 hours. (Dosage depends on your dog's weight: 1 ml per 10 lbs.) Bonus, the Pepto Bismol also works to stop vomiting.

Two other over-the-counter medicines can be given to dogs with diarrhea: Imodium AD (1 ml per 10 lbs. every 8 hours) and Kaopectate (Dogs: 0.05-0.1 mg/pound by mouth every 8 hours. Treatment should only be needed for 1-2 days.

If diarrhea persists or worsens, contact your veterinarian.

Vet or No Vet? Fortunately, episodes of doggie diarrhea have sudden onset, are easily cured, and occur infrequently. However, diarrhea becomes clinically significant after 24 hours. Therefore, if the diarrhea has lasted a few days, or your dog is weak and listless, or there are additional problems (such as vomiting or blood in the stool), then it is time to have a veterinarian examine your pet.

While home remedies could save you a small chunk of change in a pinch, you should always consult with your veterinarian - at least via telephone - at the onset of any "symptoms".

Here's another valuable tip that I wasn't aware of until I started working at the vet:

You don't always have to lug your pet to the vet to obtain a diagnosis (and medications if there's a problem). With diarrhea, for example, you could simply take a recent sample of your pet's stool to the vet. The "fecal test" is generally very inexpensive ($10-$15) and works wonders for giving you peace of mind.

By Lynnette

Rice, especially white rice should not be fed to pets with diarrhea. It will ferment in the GI tract & give them gas which will only make their diarrhea symptoms worse. It's also difficult to digest.

These according to many experts, including 'Ottawa Valley Dog Whisperer' who is perfectly thorough in all her advice on animal issues.

Below is a copy paste from her site, on things not to feed an animal (Cats/Dogs) that are suffering from diarrhea.

'9.0 Items to Avoid Feeding a Dog or Cat If He/She Has Diarrhea

Do not feed your dog or cat his/her 'normal' food.

Do not feed your dog or cat rice and ground beef;

Many allopathic veterinarians will recommend that you feed your dog or cat plain rice and lean cooked ground beef.

Rice can ferment in the GI tract, create gas and make the diarrhea worse;

Also, rice moves through the digestive system quickly, and is very difficult to digest - it will only add to the next bout of diarrhea);

Even lean ground beef has enough fat to cause more/worse diarrhea.

Do not give your dog or cat Pepto Bismal as it contains salicylates - a compound found naturally in foods and manufactured synthetically for use as a pain killer - i.e. salicylates are an active ingredient in aspirin; Salicylates will make your dog's, cat's condition worse.'

http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.blogspot.com/search?q=diarrhea

I have a 4 year old mini jack Russel and for some reason he has diarrhoea he was vomiting a few days ago but that's stop whereas he now has diarrhoea he only had soft stools while vomiting I have given him boiled rice sweet potatoes and roast beef with a bit of the juices just after I gave him that his stools seemed to be firming up slightly but now they literally are water what should I do

April 1, 2007 Flag

My 4-months-old Schnauzer puppy has digestive problems (diarrhea) every time we try to feed him dry puppy food.

He came to us from the breeder with a sample of Eukanuba Small Breed Puppy, and from the first day his poop was soft/liquid and he was gassing profusely (very bad smell). We had to put him on home cooked chicken and rice blunt diet that stopped diarrhea. After that

1. We checked him with the vet twice and everything was fine there,

2. We tried twice to gradually put him back from this chicken and rice diet to dry food; first, to Eukanuba, second time, to California Natural Puppy, and every time, it was diarrhea all over again.

I do not know what to do and we need to feed him dry food! He eats very fast, does not chew kibbles and maybe, that is his problem, but I do not know how to slow him down. Every time we tried to switch food, we did it slowly and about a week or so - he started runs at about half a portion of dry food, half of soft food. Otherwise the puppy is always happy and active, whether he has diarrhea or not.

If anybody ever had this problem, please, help!

Natasha from Ashland, MA

Best Answer

I have a standard Schnauzer that had the same sort of problems at 4 months (he is now 7 months). I kept contributing it to eating dirt (although he didn't eat much of it). The only thing that seems to have worked is FortiFlora by Purina. It's the probiotic daily treatment that you sprinkle on their food. You can buy it online or from a vet, it's new and has kept him diarrhea free for a month now.

Best Answer

Also, adding canned pumpkin to the food helped keep it firm

Best Answer

July 8, 2011 Flag

My dog has diarrhea. She has had it for 3 days. I am giving her Pedialite. What should I do? Why is this happening?

By Jo

Best Answer

Another treatment for diarrhea in dogs is to mix canned pumpkin in with the dog food. It has to be canned pumpkin which has no other ingredient in it. It is available. I keep a couple of cans of it just in case. Good luck. Consider calling a vet as well.

Best Answer

Give her Pepto Bismol. Dosage depends on her weight. It's on the side of the bottle. Give it to her no more than every 6 hours and it'll clear it right up, depending on the severity usually within 1-3 doses. I originally got this from a vet many many years ago. Since that time I've been told this by other vets countless times.

Best Answer

August 2, 2013 Flag

I have a teacup Yorkie puppy who's going to be 8 weeks old next week. She weights 1 pound 4 ounces. She has diarrhea. Want could I give her so she could poop normally?

By Vanessab D.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Take the puppy to the vet ASAP. Diarrhea can mean any number of things, and in a puppy, it can be quite serious. This is not something you want to treat with home remedies.

Best Answer

Hi, it would be a good idea to take your pup in for a fecal exam. Sometimes pups can have intestinal parasites- completely treatable. Make sure your pup is drinking lots of water and some organic canned pumpkin could help temporarily. Good luck with your new puppy :)

February 6, 2015 Flag

Once a month after being spayed my miniature Dachshund gets diarrhea. I was wondering why?

By Ernest from Vancouver, WA

Best Answer

See your Vet.

As with humans, intestinal bacteria can become imbalanced (e.g. using antibiotics) causing diarrhoea or constipation. You can try giving the pup 1/2 teaspoon of plain unpasturised unsweetened yogurt daily. You can also give your dog acidophilus pills. The live acidophilus in the yogurt keeps the good bacteria in your dog's intestines in balance - dogs love this treat.Daily yogurt dose:

1/2 tablespoon - small sized dog

1 tablespoon - medium sized dog

2 tablespoon - large sized dog

Choosing a good yogurt: unpasturised unsweetened yogurt with live active cultures and no added fruit or sugar. The less ingredients, the better the quality for humans and pets.

Most dog treats/ snacks are not good for them. Give the pup a piece of carrot as a toy/ snack. Introduce vegetables with chow (spinach. carrots, small pieces of lettuce, lentil peas). Do not feed with milk - soak puppy chow in water if it is too hard to chew. No added seasonings, oil or sugar.

Could be many reasons. Your vet can examine your dog, provide a possible answer and recommend medical treatment, if needed.

May 3, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about remedies for a puppy with diarrhea. Diarrhea can be a very serious condition for your puppy. It needs prompt attention to protect your pet's health.

Sad looking english bulldog with owners hand petting him

February 22, 2014 Flag

Our dog is passing loose stools and also I have noticed a patch of hair loss by her ear?

By Nicola

Best Answer

Take her to there vet. She needs medical help.

March 25, 2015 Flag

She is not eating anything. We gave her Flagyl or gravinate syrup.

By Kholla

If your dog continues to have diarrhea, after your attempts to help her have not worked, and she is not eating, she needs veterinary help now. Your dog is suffering and needs help now.

July 10, 2011 Flag

Why does my Jack Russell have diarrhea after being in the sea? His belly does a rumbling sound then water comes out of his backend.

By K Hughes

Depends on where you live. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and a few years ago, my dog got Salmon poisoning at the river near the coast. Apparently there is a bacteria that lives on a parasite that lives on the fish. If your dog ingests the bacteria, it can kill them - even if they lick the ground where someone cleaned a fish previously. Midnight had diarrhea and wouldn't eat. He was extremely lethargic. He ended up spending several days on IV liquids and antibiotics at the vet, then he was fine. I researched afterword and it is a disease where they have a near 100% chance of survival if they are on an IV, but a greater than 50% chance of dying without. We get Salmon at the coast in Oregon. Anyway, if it doesn't get better within 24 hours, I'd call the vet.

It's the salt water. A lot of dogs will also get diarrhea after swimming in chlorinated water if they swallow a lot.

January 18, 2015 Flag

My Yorkie has had just a little bit of diarrhea, but she is still drinking water and eating a little. She has done this for 2 days. I asked my vet and she said to give her Immodium; I have. What could be wrong? She is still playing and running around.

By JC

Dogs, like humans, can get stomach bugs. You don't have to worry unless she stops eating, has worms in stool, blood in stool, acts lethargic or wobbly, or loses weight.

Load More
Pets Dogs HealthAugust 3, 2013
Cat seeing a veterinarian.
Cat With Diarrhea
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
A woman holding her belly.
Remedies for Diarrhea
🎉
🎄