Remedies for a Dog With Diarrhea

Category Health
Sick pug at the vet.
Like their human owners, dogs can suffer from occasional diarrhea. Untreated it can lead to dehydration. Determining the cause, treatment, and whether you need to make a trip to the vet are the primary concerns. This is a guide about remedies for a dog with diarrhea.

I used to work at a vet. While there, I learned a few "home remedies" for some common pet ailments, including diarrhea.

Instead of their usual dog food, give your pet small servings of a bland diet 4-5 times throughout the day. Choose from:

Continue to feed several small servings of this bland diet for a few days in gradually increasing amounts until a formed stool is passed. Then, start to wean your pet back to its regular food over the course of a week by gradually working in small amounts of their regular dry dog food.

Do not give your pet bones, snacks, or table scraps, because they may irritate the intestinal tract during this time.

Dogs can also be given a dose of Pepto Bismol every 6 hours. (Dosage depends on your dog's weight: 1 ml per 10 lbs.) Bonus, the Pepto Bismol also works to stop vomiting.

Two other over-the-counter medicines can be given to dogs with diarrhea: Imodium AD (1 ml per 10 lbs. every 8 hours) and Kaopectate (Dogs: 0.05-0.1 mg/pound by mouth every 8 hours. Treatment should only be needed for 1-2 days.

If diarrhea persists or worsens, contact your veterinarian.

Vet or No Vet? Fortunately, episodes of doggie diarrhea have sudden onset, are easily cured, and occur infrequently. However, diarrhea becomes clinically significant after 24 hours. Therefore, if the diarrhea has lasted a few days, or your dog is weak and listless, or there are additional problems (such as vomiting or blood in the stool), then it is time to have a veterinarian examine your pet.

While home remedies could save you a small chunk of change in a pinch, you should always consult with your veterinarian - at least via telephone - at the onset of any "symptoms".

Here's another valuable tip that I wasn't aware of until I started working at the vet:

You don't always have to lug your pet to the vet to obtain a diagnosis (and medications if there's a problem). With diarrhea, for example, you could simply take a recent sample of your pet's stool to the vet. The "fecal test" is generally very inexpensive ($10-$15) and works wonders for giving you peace of mind.

By Lynnette

The best remedy, which never fails, is to brown hamburger and add cooked rice. Feed your dog only this until the diarrhea is gone.

I agree with the rice theory....we raise labs and I have found that no food for 16-24 hrs or minimal amounts of rice or other bland not greasy food...and lots of WATER....animals as people will dehydrate quickly with diarrhea if not offered water continually......pepto doses work too / you can also get a very good diarrhea med. from foster and smith... but limit food intake and give the body the opportunity to rest from heavy digestion.....

First make darn sure you know what is causing the Diarrhea. After your pet has 'cleaned out' and like the next day, you can give it a half tea of Pepto Bismo.

Check with the vet for dehydration.

if your dog has had any previous antibiotics, give it yogurt to replace lost bacteria in its system, Poodle I had , had this and yogurt did the trick. Advice came from my MD for this and it worked

plain white rice works wonders

Have any of the dogs eaten Nutro Healthy choice? This is what made my dog sick, and imodium seemed to help some. "biu"

I just spoke with my vet about my pups diarrea and was told to never give a dog immodium.

Thank you so much. The Pepto seems to have done the trick. Only 3 single tsp doses and my Schnoodle's diarrhea has all but subsided. You've helped me a lot and certainly reassured me that Max is going to be fine.

I found that oatmeal works MUCH better than rice. Cook one pound ground turkey, add two cups quick cook oatmeal and two cups water. Heat through then cover with lid, turn off heat and let all water be absorbed. This will last in the fridge about five days. I warm up for meals adding just a bit of kibble to help keep teeth clean. It's been a miracle for colitis in my dog.

Pumpkin! That is one thing that is missing from this post. My dog (8-month-old black lab/boxer mix) had chronic diarrhea for a few months. We took her to the vet, she underwent 2 courses of antibiotics and a course of probiotics. Nothing helped! Finally, we found on a forum that people have used plain canned pumpkin. We tried it and it worked after only 2 doses! We simply added a little over a tablespoon of plain canned pumpkin to each of her meals. After 2 meals, her diarrhea was gone! We continued to give her pumpkin with every meal for several weeks. About a week ago we stopped, but we are also feeding her limited ingredient food that already has pumpkin in it. She has not had diarrhea since that second dose of pumpkin several weeks ago. It worked for Chloe and it's definitely worth a try for your puppy!

Keep in mind the size of your dog. A little over a tablespoon worked for her, but she was about 65 lbs when we started it and she is now over 70 lbs. If your dog is smaller, I would start with a smaller amount. Please remember also to not buy pumpkin pie filling; just plain pumpkin.

Surprised that Brown rice was not used in menu. And with no dis-respect a simple dose of (in my dog's case) 5ml of "SCOURBAN" if no improvement in 24 hours contact Veterinarian.

This is a guide about remedies for a puppy with diarrhea. Diarrhea can be a very serious condition for your puppy. It needs prompt attention to protect your pet's health.

Sad looking english bulldog with owners hand petting him

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

My 4-months-old Schnauzer puppy has digestive problems (diarrhea) every time we try to feed him dry puppy food.

He came to us from the breeder with a sample of Eukanuba Small Breed Puppy, and from the first day his poop was soft/liquid and he was gassing profusely (very bad smell). We had to put him on home cooked chicken and rice blunt diet that stopped diarrhea. After that

1. We checked him with the vet twice and everything was fine there,

2. We tried twice to gradually put him back from this chicken and rice diet to dry food; first, to Eukanuba, second time, to California Natural Puppy, and every time, it was diarrhea all over again.

I do not know what to do and we need to feed him dry food! He eats very fast, does not chew kibbles and maybe, that is his problem, but I do not know how to slow him down. Every time we tried to switch food, we did it slowly and about a week or so - he started runs at about half a portion of dry food, half of soft food. Otherwise the puppy is always happy and active, whether he has diarrhea or not.

If anybody ever had this problem, please, help!

Natasha from Ashland, MA

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

My mother has a small Westie and he also has problems with dog food and most people food. For the last 6 years she has been cooking chicken, rice and beans for him. The chicken is roasted, all skin and fat removed, and chopped up small. She boils the rice and veggies. Freezes this mix up in 1 cup portions for her pup. He eats 1/2 cup a day and has had no problems. The vet called it a sensitive stomach, common in some small breeds. During his 'episodes' he also had vomiting and was very lethargic. Any other food, he gets sick. If it works for you, keep cooking the chicken for him. Good luck.

Best Answer

I have been told they can not eat food with corn products in it. We get ours food at the farm supply and it says no corn on it. It is a dry food. May have to get it at a pet store. I could not find any at Wal-mart without corn.

Best Answer

I have a standard Schnauzer that had the same sort of problems at 4 months (he is now 7 months). I kept contributing it to eating dirt (although he didn't eat much of it). The only thing that seems to have worked is FortiFlora by Purina. It's the probiotic daily treatment that you sprinkle on their food. You can buy it online or from a vet, it's new and has kept him diarrhea free for a month now.

Best Answer

Also, adding canned pumpkin to the food helped keep it firm

Best Answer

I have two mini Schnauzers and both have bad stomach problems. My vet told me the reason for my dogs' problems is because they are eating too much fat. She explained to me that their body can't break down fat and that is what caused all the problems. Well it cost me over 500.00 dollars to find this out so I hope I can help someone out. So with my Schnauzer I have to feed a low fat food and if I give a treat to them it also has to have low fat. This is why Schnauzers do well with chicken products and lamb because of the low fat. Well hope this helps someone.

You might just have to stick with the chicken. When our pup was 6 mths. old she got parvo and as she recovered she would not eat...we cooked, boiled chicken thighs and cut them up. She is now 13 and that it what she has eaten all her life. It is cheaper than dog food. A pack of 14-16 thighs cost about 3 or 4 dollars at Sams or Costco. I boiled them in a big pot about once every two weeks and wrap them in wax paper, she gets one a day. It is a little extra trouble, but I can imagine it would be no more trouble than cleaning up runny poop all the time.

Plus you have the added bonus of the chicken broth which has always been used to great ends here at this house...and if I get too much on hand, I give it to someone.

As I said, it is some extra trouble, but then so were my kids and they didn't give me near the pleasure that this dog has!!

Try "GRAIN-FREE" food.

HI, YES, HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH TWO OF MY MINI SCHNAUZER'S SWITCH TO SCIENCE DIET ADULT MINI BITES AND HAND FEED HIM. THEN MAKE SURE HE DRINKS LOTS OF WATER, DO NOT FEED HIM ANYTHING ELSE AND HE WILL GET BETTER FOR YOU.

PS, STAY AWAY FROM PEOPLE FOOD AS I WENT THAT ROUTE FIRST THEN THEY STARTED TO THROW UP PROFUSELY WITH THE RUNS, WAS NOT FUN AT ALL, I WAS SO WORRIED THEY WOULD SURELY DIE. I STILL HAVE THE ONE MALE, THE OTHER I GAVE AWAY AND NO MORE PROBLEMS ON THE SCIENCE DIET. HAND FEEDING I SUGGESTED AS IT WILL SLOW DOWN HIS EATING. GOOD LUCK! WORKED FOR US!

My schnauzer is 5 years old and does not tolerate dog food. She gets gassy and has diarrhea. She has had chicken or hamburger and rice most of her life. I had a schnauzer before her that was the same way. She lived to be 16 years old eating chicken or hambuger with rice.

My Schnauzer, Jackson, is 4.5 year old. He always had sensitive stomach as a puppy (while on Max puppy food), he had diarrhea, vomiting etc., I am feeding him now natural food cooked by myself cooked chicken breast (no skin), chopped turkey, boiled salmon, cooked vegetables (broccoli, zucchini, carrots - he loves carrots), yams, rice (for carbs) and canned pumpkins. Addition of low-fat cottage cheese (ca. 3x a week) and low-fat yoghurt (no sugar added) has done miracle... No other treats but dog chicken breast treats from "Whole Foods". He is healthy - no diarrhea, no vomiting, no schnauzer bumps. It doesn't take much time at all to prepare all this - you can just put everything in microwave if you need to cook or into a boiler. Your dog is your baby, you want to give him/ her the best.

My dog has diarrhea. She has had it for 3 days. I am giving her Pedialite. What should I do? Why is this happening?

By Jo

Best Answer

Take the dog to a veterinarian immediately. Diarrhea for three days is as serious in an animal as it is in a human.

Best Answer

My dog had a easily upset stomach, so started using yogurt a couple tablespoons a day. Good luck with everything. A trip to the vet would be the first thing I would do also.

Best Answer

Another treatment for diarrhea in dogs is to mix canned pumpkin in with the dog food. It has to be canned pumpkin which has no other ingredient in it. It is available. I keep a couple of cans of it just in case. Good luck. Consider calling a vet as well.

Best Answer

Give her Pepto Bismol. Dosage depends on her weight. It's on the side of the bottle. Give it to her no more than every 6 hours and it'll clear it right up, depending on the severity usually within 1-3 doses. I originally got this from a vet many many years ago. Since that time I've been told this by other vets countless times.

Best Answer

See a vet. They will probably recommend a bland diet which is boiled chicken, ground up, and white rice.

Give the dog a raw egg. Hope it helps.

I've given our dog generic pepto. Is your dog eating something unusual? Try a very bland diet as well as giving her rice or adding some to her food. If nothing works, try calling different vets - there is most likely one in your area who will work out a payment plan. Good luck!

http://www.walk  com/otc-meds.htm

This link says you can some give dogs immodium, Do not give this medicine to Collies, Shelties, Australian Shephards and Long-haired Whippits. See this site for more detailed information. I think you should take the dog to the vet though.

Have the dog checked for worms at the vet's office. Worms can cause diarrhea and your dog could also have something else going on and the vet can diagnose properly the cause.

I have a teacup Yorkie puppy who's going to be 8 weeks old next week. She weights 1 pound 4 ounces. She has diarrhea. Want could I give her so she could poop normally?

By Vanessab D.

Best Answer

Take the puppy to the vet ASAP. Diarrhea can mean any number of things, and in a puppy, it can be quite serious. This is not something you want to treat with home remedies.

Best Answer

Hi, it would be a good idea to take your pup in for a fecal exam. Sometimes pups can have intestinal parasites- completely treatable. Make sure your pup is drinking lots of water and some organic canned pumpkin could help temporarily. Good luck with your new puppy :)

Once a month after being spayed my miniature Dachshund gets diarrhea. I was wondering why?

By Ernest from Vancouver, WA

Best Answer

See your Vet.

As with humans, intestinal bacteria can become imbalanced (e.g. using antibiotics) causing diarrhoea or constipation. You can try giving the pup 1/2 teaspoon of plain unpasturised unsweetened yogurt daily. You can also give your dog acidophilus pills. The live acidophilus in the yogurt keeps the good bacteria in your dog's intestines in balance - dogs love this treat.Daily yogurt dose:

1/2 tablespoon - small sized dog

1 tablespoon - medium sized dog

2 tablespoon - large sized dog

Choosing a good yogurt: unpasturised unsweetened yogurt with live active cultures and no added fruit or sugar. The less ingredients, the better the quality for humans and pets.

Most dog treats/ snacks are not good for them. Give the pup a piece of carrot as a toy/ snack. Introduce vegetables with chow (spinach. carrots, small pieces of lettuce, lentil peas). Do not feed with milk - soak puppy chow in water if it is too hard to chew. No added seasonings, oil or sugar.

Our dog is passing loose stools and also I have noticed a patch of hair loss by her ear?

By Nicola

Best Answer

Take her to there vet. She needs medical help.

I just got a 10 week old Pit Bull puppy. He had been dewormed and had his first shots about a week ago. He started getting diarrhea yesterday and now I am seeing a little blood in his stool. I'm going to mix a little white rice in his food and give him Pedialyte. Should I be too worried?

Why does my Jack Russell have diarrhea after being in the sea? His belly does a rumbling sound then water comes out of his backend.

By K Hughes

I did a Google search. So easy to do. I typed in "diarrhea salt water," and this was one of the results:

http://www.ehow  -water-dogs.html

If you need more information, you can do a search, too. And if your dog doesn't improve soon, you should contact his vet.

I have a mix Poodle. She just had her first period and is acting very differently. She does not want to eat and she has been having diarrhea for two days. Is this OK? What I can do?

By Jammi

She is not eating anything. We gave her Flagyl or gravinate syrup.

By Kholla

My Yorkie has had just a little bit of diarrhea, but she is still drinking water and eating a little. She has done this for 2 days. I asked my vet and she said to give her Immodium; I have. What could be wrong? She is still playing and running around.

By JC

My dog has diarrhea; what is a cheap effective method of cure? I love my dog, so please help. Thank you.

By Reis

My dog has diahrrea. He's had it before and responded to antibiotics and everything was "coming out" fine, but it started out again, I got antibiotics again from the vet and it's been four days and he still has loose stools.

Sorry to talk about something so non-pleasant, but I'm resorting to taking him off solid foods as that is what my dog book suggested. Anybody out there have any good ideas? My vet said he has colitis and it's awfully hard to stop the cycle. And don't suggest cottage cheese as I'm a non-dairy eater and I come from the school of thought that dairy encourages diahrrea, so I wouldn't want to give that to my dog.

Margie

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My dog has diarrhea. He's had it before and responded to antibiotics and everything was "coming out"

fine, but it started out again, I got antibiotics again from the vet and it's been four days and he still

has loose stools.

Sorry to talk about something so non-pleasant, but I'm resorting to taking him off solid foods as that

is what my dog book suggested. Anybody out there have any good ideas? My vet said he has colitis and

it's awfully hard to stop the cycle. And don't suggest cottage cheese as I'm a non-dairy eater and I

come from the school of thought that dairy encourages diarrhea, so I wouldn't want to give that to my

dog.

Margie

Answers:

My Dog Has Diarrhea

Try 1 tablespoon Pepto Bismal; our vet says it's safe for dogs. Also with the rice try a little bit of browned hamburger, but make sure to rinse it under some water to rinse off the grease as to not upset the dog's stomach any further. Our vet had us do this with our dog when she got cancer and was unable to eat.

dog food. (05/31/2005)

By imaqt1962

My Dog Has Diarrhea

You should definitely take your dog to see a different vet if the diarrhea does not clear up within 48 hours. There are many causes for diarrhea including, but not limited to: change in diet, stress, disease, illness, and parasites. The diet and stress inducing life changes would only cause temporary diarrhea, but anything longer than 48 hours would more likely be from illness, disease, or parasites. It is crucial that your pet see a vet for these causes, as delaying treatment could allow the dog to become severely dehydrated, or worse. Please consider taking the dog to a different vet, if the one you are currently using doesn't seem to be doing anything helpful. It may not be the most "thrifty" solution, but it may be the safest. (05/31/2005)

By Karen

My Dog Has Diarrhea

Did dog have antibiotics for illness? Maybe like humans, you need to restore good critters to intestines and digestive track with active yogurt. (05/31/2005)

By kelleno

My Dog Has Diarrhea

You can give canned pumpkin (not pie filling) just plain with nothing added. You can mix it with hamburger if your dog won't eat it. I would go to another vet, too. (05/31/2005)

By Donna J.

My Dog Has Diarrhea

This just happened to us and this solution worked great. Give the dog either Imodium pills or generic equivalent. Be sure to look on the pack for dosage according to weight of the dog. Good luck!

(06/01/2005)

By Susan

My Dog Has Diarrhea

My vet says only use chicken or turkey with the rice. Boil it and then just feed a little at a time, until the diarrhea is gone do not give anything else except Pepto or the like. Yes you need to go to another vet if they don't seem to be concerned.
My dog likes anything I give her. Try Gatoraid or Pedialyte for the electrolytes. (06/01/2005)

By Sandy

My Dog Has Diarrhea

My Dog Has Diarrhea

First coat his bowl with Kaopectate. Then put in scrambled eggs with cream of wheat cereal with a little garlic powder, cranberry sauce, and a tiny bit of bacon fat if you have it. Just a tiny bit, a lot of
animals love it, I know mine do. You don't want to load poochie with grease. Smear it on paws and face if pooch won't eat it at first, he'll have to clean himself.

Gradually add in a bit of regular food, could the food perhaps be causing this? Get another vet if all this one can do is give antibiotics, or are you demanding them when something else
might be better? Yes dairy can give trots to some creatures, human and otherwise, but not all. Some do fine, others react the opposite way.

Never worry about posting "unpleasant " subjects. We are here to help each other and our animal family.
(07/05/2005)

By Linne

My Dog Has Diarrhea

I would suggest actually going back to the same vet, if this is a vet you have used and trusted in the past. "Colitis" is inflammation of the intestinal lining (from any cause), and often is a catch-all
diagnosis when no specific cause is found on the fecal, physical exam or blood work. Because many different things can cause it, there are many different things that might fix it. Meaning, your vet knows what he has already done to try to help your dog, and he very likely has a plan (in his head or written down) for what to do next if the illness persists. If anything has changed at all with your dog's condition, however insignificant it may seem to you, it just might be the one clue the vet needs to figure out just what is causing the colitis and what will fix it.

A new vet is like starting over. He will need to be told about everything that has already happened with your dog and the exact treatments given. Because the new vet may not be sure of the circumstances under which a laboratory test was performed, he might need to do it again, at your expense.
My advice is to give your vet another chance. Have him explain what he wants to do now, and what he plans to do if that doesn't fix it. Sometimes the owner is spared from having a zillion tests done on the first visit for a definite diagnosis for diarrhea, assuming the pet appears otherwise healthy, because most of
the time the first treatment will work. Ask your vet if it is OK to fast your dog for 24-48 hrs (nothing but water, then gradually introduce small amounts of bland food like boiled chicken and rice "no spices or flavor added"). If your dog is healthy enough to go without eating for a day, it might give his poor intestines time to heal. (07/16/2005)

By A vet student

My Dog Has Diarrhea

My puppy is almost 6 months old and for the past 2 months he has had diarrhea on and off. We took him to the vet a couple times and they say that nothing is wrong. He just has a sensitive stomach. We put him on RX strength Eukanuba food. It cures the diarrhea, but everytime we try to wean him back to the regular food, he gets diarrhea again. The vet said we will just have to keep him on the RX food for a while. Try
asking about the RX food. It is more expensive, but it might be all you need. It is a low residue food.

(08/09/2007)

By LAURA

My Dog Has Diarrhea

I once had a dog with Colitis. The best thing for your dog is an all natural diet or even raw for that matter! Once my dog was diagnosed we went to a raw diet and then went to our local pet food stores and found raw diet dog food. He did very well with this! As far as dealing with the diarrhea, try some bland cooked food such as a mixture of rice, oatmeal, and chicken, it works like a charm! (01/22/2008)

My Dog Has Diarrhea

(submitted via email)
I know this is going to sound silly, but cater to your dog. Give your dog extra loving and petting. Make sure you don't rile the dog up too much (i.e rough play or fetching) We have found that when our dog gets diarrhea that she is stressed or upset about something. Normally we give her boiled chicken and rice or just plain rice, and then start mixing the rice with her food to get her back into her own food (once the
diarrhea subsides). Try this out with your dog and let me know if it works! Good luck.

Melissa (02/28/2008)

By jess

My Dog Has Diarrhea

If your puppy has had diarrhea, has been vomiting, acting lethargic, and has had a loss in appetite, there is a chance you pup has Parvo disease. It is extremely serious and should be taken to your vet
immediately. The sooner it is caught the better of a chance you dog will survive. Good luck.

In memory of Alfredo. (01/08/2009)

By Brian

width="400" height="300" alt="RE: My Dog Has Diarrhea" />

My Dog Has Diarrhea

My dog had watery stools on and off. It could be the diet and I understand that the protein is what they are most sensitive to. So try changing the food to something completely different. A pet store owner also recommended that I add a medallion of freeze dried frozen (Natures Variety) to her food. What an amazing difference! I actually panic if I run out of medallions! She has not had a loose stool since adding freeze dried raw to her diet! (approximately 4 months) (02/17/2009)

By Jamie

My Dog Has Diarrhea

My Cavalier King Charles spaniel had loose stool. We went to the vet, he was pretty sure she had colitis, by the description of the stool. He said usually it looked mucusy, it did. He gave her Flagyl for 5 days. It cleared up, but came back a couple of weeks later. No diarrhea, just loose once a day.

Another round of Flagyl, stool sampling for worms, and a 3 day round of wormer. Finally, an abdominal ultrasound for complete diagnosis. Yes, colitis. She was put on Iams Vet Formula, Low Residue dog food, and also one tsp. of canned pumpkin. You can look this up, it's the treatment of choice. She's good, so far normal. It's only a few days, but there's a distinct difference. Remains to be seen. (11/07/2010)

By BabeeBooma

height="300" alt="RE: My Dog Has Diarrhea" />