Remedies for a Dog With Diarrhea

Category Health
Like their human owners, dogs can suffer from occasional diarrhea. Untreated it can lead to dehydration. Determining the cause, treatment, and whether you need to make a trip to the vet are the primary concerns. This is a guide about remedies for a dog with diarrhea.

I used to work at a vet. While there, I learned a few "home remedies" for some common pet ailments, including diarrhea.

Instead of their usual dog food, give your pet small servings of a bland diet 4-5 times throughout the day. Choose from:

Continue to feed several small servings of this bland diet for a few days in gradually increasing amounts until a formed stool is passed. Then, start to wean your pet back to its regular food over the course of a week by gradually working in small amounts of their regular dry dog food.

Do not give your pet bones, snacks, or table scraps, because they may irritate the intestinal tract during this time.

Dogs can also be given a dose of Pepto Bismol every 6 hours. (Dosage depends on your dog's weight: 1 ml per 10 lbs.) Bonus, the Pepto Bismol also works to stop vomiting.

Two other over-the-counter medicines can be given to dogs with diarrhea: Imodium AD (1 ml per 10 lbs. every 8 hours) and Kaopectate (Dogs: 0.05-0.1 mg/pound by mouth every 8 hours. Treatment should only be needed for 1-2 days.

If diarrhea persists or worsens, contact your veterinarian.

Vet or No Vet? Fortunately, episodes of doggie diarrhea have sudden onset, are easily cured, and occur infrequently. However, diarrhea becomes clinically significant after 24 hours. Therefore, if the diarrhea has lasted a few days, or your dog is weak and listless, or there are additional problems (such as vomiting or blood in the stool), then it is time to have a veterinarian examine your pet.

While home remedies could save you a small chunk of change in a pinch, you should always consult with your veterinarian - at least via telephone - at the onset of any "symptoms".

Here's another valuable tip that I wasn't aware of until I started working at the vet:

You don't always have to lug your pet to the vet to obtain a diagnosis (and medications if there's a problem). With diarrhea, for example, you could simply take a recent sample of your pet's stool to the vet. The "fecal test" is generally very inexpensive ($10-$15) and works wonders for giving you peace of mind.

By Lynnette

Anonymous

I have a 4 year old mini jack Russel and for some reason he has diarrhoea he was vomiting a few days ago but that's stop whereas he now has diarrhoea he only had soft stools while vomiting I have given him boiled rice sweet potatoes and roast beef with a bit of the juices just after I gave him that his stools seemed to be firming up slightly but now they literally are water what should I do

Sad looking english bulldog with owners hand petting him

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about remedies for a puppy with diarrhea. Diarrhea can be a very serious condition for your puppy. It needs prompt attention to protect your pet's health.

My 4-months-old Schnauzer puppy has digestive problems (diarrhea) every time we try to feed him dry puppy food.

He came to us from the breeder with a sample of Eukanuba Small Breed Puppy, and from the first day his poop was soft/liquid and he was gassing profusely (very bad smell). We had to put him on home cooked chicken and rice blunt diet that stopped diarrhea. After that

1. We checked him with the vet twice and everything was fine there,

2. We tried twice to gradually put him back from this chicken and rice diet to dry food; first, to Eukanuba, second time, to California Natural Puppy, and every time, it was diarrhea all over again.

I do not know what to do and we need to feed him dry food! He eats very fast, does not chew kibbles and maybe, that is his problem, but I do not know how to slow him down. Every time we tried to switch food, we did it slowly and about a week or so - he started runs at about half a portion of dry food, half of soft food. Otherwise the puppy is always happy and active, whether he has diarrhea or not.

If anybody ever had this problem, please, help!

Natasha from Ashland, MA

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

My mother has a small Westie and he also has problems with dog food and most people food. For the last 6 years she has been cooking chicken, rice and beans for him. The chicken is roasted, all skin and fat removed, and chopped up small. She boils the rice and veggies. Freezes this mix up in 1 cup portions for her pup. He eats 1/2 cup a day and has had no problems. The vet called it a sensitive stomach, common in some small breeds. During his 'episodes' he also had vomiting and was very lethargic. Any other food, he gets sick. If it works for you, keep cooking the chicken for him. Good luck.

Best Answer

I have a standard Schnauzer that had the same sort of problems at 4 months (he is now 7 months). I kept contributing it to eating dirt (although he didn't eat much of it). The only thing that seems to have worked is FortiFlora by Purina. It's the probiotic daily treatment that you sprinkle on their food. You can buy it online or from a vet, it's new and has kept him diarrhea free for a month now.

Best Answer

Also, adding canned pumpkin to the food helped keep it firm

My dog has diarrhea. She has had it for 3 days. I am giving her Pedialite. What should I do? Why is this happening?

By Jo

Best Answer

My dog had a easily upset stomach, so started using yogurt a couple tablespoons a day. Good luck with everything. A trip to the vet would be the first thing I would do also.

Best Answer

Another treatment for diarrhea in dogs is to mix canned pumpkin in with the dog food. It has to be canned pumpkin which has no other ingredient in it. It is available. I keep a couple of cans of it just in case. Good luck. Consider calling a vet as well.

Best Answer

Give her Pepto Bismol. Dosage depends on her weight. It's on the side of the bottle. Give it to her no more than every 6 hours and it'll clear it right up, depending on the severity usually within 1-3 doses. I originally got this from a vet many many years ago. Since that time I've been told this by other vets countless times.

I just got a 10 week old Pit Bull puppy. He had been dewormed and had his first shots about a week ago. He started getting diarrhea yesterday and now I am seeing a little blood in his stool. I'm going to mix a little white rice in his food and give him Pedialyte. Should I be too worried?

I would be very worried Blood in stool could be serous. At the very least, give the vet a call

don't give him pedialyte or any liquid besides water until a vet has seen him, the blood is a sign of a problem that pedialyte won't fix

I would definitely take him to the vet for a check-up. In the meantime, boiled white rice and boiled unseasoned chicken should be fine, along with Pedialyte to rehydrate him.

I have a teacup Yorkie puppy who's going to be 8 weeks old next week. She weights 1 pound 4 ounces. She has diarrhea. Want could I give her so she could poop normally?

By Vanessab D.

Best Answer

Take the puppy to the vet ASAP. Diarrhea can mean any number of things, and in a puppy, it can be quite serious. This is not something you want to treat with home remedies.

Best Answer

Hi, it would be a good idea to take your pup in for a fecal exam. Sometimes pups can have intestinal parasites- completely treatable. Make sure your pup is drinking lots of water and some organic canned pumpkin could help temporarily. Good luck with your new puppy :)

Took my 4 1/2 lb Chihuahua to the vet as she had diarrhea for weeks after being adopted from shelter.

She received an IV injection of mult vitamins, vit C and fluids. At home I used NutriCal - high calorie oral jel many times daily to keep up her blood sugar. Get that from vet or petstore. Also, syringed Pedialyte as she wouldn't drink much.

Food included cottage cheese, boiled rice and hamburger or chicken. Lomotil and Pepto Bismol was prescribed per weight.

Good luck. SMK

Once a month after being spayed my miniature Dachshund gets diarrhea. I was wondering why?

By Ernest from Vancouver, WA

Best Answer

See your Vet.

As with humans, intestinal bacteria can become imbalanced (e.g. using antibiotics) causing diarrhoea or constipation. You can try giving the pup 1/2 teaspoon of plain unpasturised unsweetened yogurt daily. You can also give your dog acidophilus pills. The live acidophilus in the yogurt keeps the good bacteria in your dog's intestines in balance - dogs love this treat.Daily yogurt dose:

1/2 tablespoon - small sized dog

1 tablespoon - medium sized dog

2 tablespoon - large sized dog

Choosing a good yogurt: unpasturised unsweetened yogurt with live active cultures and no added fruit or sugar. The less ingredients, the better the quality for humans and pets.

Most dog treats/ snacks are not good for them. Give the pup a piece of carrot as a toy/ snack. Introduce vegetables with chow (spinach. carrots, small pieces of lettuce, lentil peas). Do not feed with milk - soak puppy chow in water if it is too hard to chew. No added seasonings, oil or sugar.

Could be many reasons. Your vet can examine your dog, provide a possible answer and recommend medical treatment, if needed.

Our dog is passing loose stools and also I have noticed a patch of hair loss by her ear?

By Nicola

Best Answer

Take her to there vet. She needs medical help.

She is not eating anything. We gave her Flagyl or gravinate syrup.

By Kholla

If your dog continues to have diarrhea, after your attempts to help her have not worked, and she is not eating, she needs veterinary help now. Your dog is suffering and needs help now.

Why does my Jack Russell have diarrhea after being in the sea? His belly does a rumbling sound then water comes out of his backend.

By K Hughes

I did a Google search. So easy to do. I typed in "diarrhea salt water," and this was one of the results:

http://www.ehow  -water-dogs.html

If you need more information, you can do a search, too. And if your dog doesn't improve soon, you should contact his vet.

Depends on where you live. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and a few years ago, my dog got Salmon poisoning at the river near the coast. Apparently there is a bacteria that lives on a parasite that lives on the fish. If your dog ingests the bacteria, it can kill them - even if they lick the ground where someone cleaned a fish previously. Midnight had diarrhea and wouldn't eat. He was extremely lethargic. He ended up spending several days on IV liquids and antibiotics at the vet, then he was fine. I researched afterword and it is a disease where they have a near 100% chance of survival if they are on an IV, but a greater than 50% chance of dying without. We get Salmon at the coast in Oregon. Anyway, if it doesn't get better within 24 hours, I'd call the vet.

It's the salt water. A lot of dogs will also get diarrhea after swimming in chlorinated water if they swallow a lot.

My Yorkie has had just a little bit of diarrhea, but she is still drinking water and eating a little. She has done this for 2 days. I asked my vet and she said to give her Immodium; I have. What could be wrong? She is still playing and running around.

By JC

Dogs, like humans, can get stomach bugs. You don't have to worry unless she stops eating, has worms in stool, blood in stool, acts lethargic or wobbly, or loses weight.

I have a mix Poodle. She just had her first period and is acting very differently. She does not want to eat and she has been having diarrhea for two days. Is this OK? What I can do?

By Jammi

Make sure she is drinking water. Dogs can go for several days without eating. She should be spayed, very important. There are too many unwanted dogs in this world. If diarrhea continues another day, get her to the vet. And have her spayed.

My dog has diarrhea; what is a cheap effective method of cure? I love my dog, so please help. Thank you.

By Reis

I have found what helps is a can of chicken rice soup helps. The broth has sodium to help retain fluids in the dogs body since they are loosing so much with the diarrhea and the rice helps to 'clog up' the system (so to speak). If it doesn't start to help within the day, I would contact the vet. The dog may become dehydrated and also the dog may have come into contact with a bug in water that is making them ill.

My dog has diahrrea. He's had it before and responded to antibiotics and everything was "coming out" fine, but it started out again, I got antibiotics again from the vet and it's been four days and he still has loose stools.

Sorry to talk about something so non-pleasant, but I'm resorting to taking him off solid foods as that is what my dog book suggested. Anybody out there have any good ideas? My vet said he has colitis and it's awfully hard to stop the cycle. And don't suggest cottage cheese as I'm a non-dairy eater and I come from the school of thought that dairy encourages diahrrea, so I wouldn't want to give that to my dog.

Margie

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Talk to your Veterinarian about "Scourban" and if they have never heard of it change your Vet. Good luck

My dog has diarrhea. He's had it before and responded to antibiotics and everything was "coming out" fine, but it started out again, I got antibiotics again from the vet and it's been four days and he still has loose stools.