Remedies for a Dog With Diarrhea

Like their human owners, dogs can suffer from occasional diarrhea. Untreated it can lead to dehydration. Determining the cause, treatment, and whether you need to make a trip to the vet are the primary concerns. This is a guide about remedies for a dog with diarrhea.

Filter Sort

Tip: Home Remedies For Doggie Diarrhea

I used to work at a vet. While there, I learned a few "home remedies" for some common pet ailments, including diarrhea.

Instead of their usual dog food, give your pet small servings of a bland diet 4-5 times throughout the day. Choose from:

• cooked white rice (no butter or flavorings)
  • cottage cheese (no liquid)
  • boiled chicken (no grease, no skin, no flavorings)
  • boiled turkey (no grease, no skin, no flavorings)
  • scrambled egg (no butter or oil)
  • boiled egg (no butter or oil)
  • boiled potato (no skin or flavorings)
  • baked potato (no skin or flavorings)

Continue to feed several small servings of this bland diet for a few days in gradually increasing amounts until a formed stool is passed. Then, start to wean your pet back to its regular food over the course of a week by gradually working in small amounts of their regular dry dog food.

Do not give your pet bones, snacks, or table scraps, because they may irritate the intestinal tract during this time.

Dogs can also be given a dose of Pepto Bismol every 6 hours. (Dosage depends on your dog's weight: 1 ml per 10 lbs.) Bonus, the Pepto Bismol also works to stop vomiting.

Two other over-the-counter medicines can be given to dogs with diarrhea: Imodium AD (1 ml per 10 lbs. every 8 hours) and Kaopectate (Dogs: 0.05-0.1 mg/pound by mouth every 8 hours. Treatment should only be needed for 1-2 days.

If diarrhea persists or worsens, contact your veterinarian.

Vet or No Vet? Fortunately, episodes of doggie diarrhea have sudden onset, are easily cured, and occur infrequently. However, diarrhea becomes clinically significant after 24 hours. Therefore, if the diarrhea has lasted a few days, or your dog is weak and listless, or there are additional problems (such as vomiting or blood in the stool), then it is time to have a veterinarian examine your pet.

While home remedies could save you a small chunk of change in a pinch, you should always consult with your veterinarian - at least via telephone - at the onset of any "symptoms".

Here's another valuable tip that I wasn't aware of until I started working at the vet:

You don't always have to lug your pet to the vet to obtain a diagnosis (and medications if there's a problem). With diarrhea, for example, you could simply take a recent sample of your pet's stool to the vet. The "fecal test" is generally very inexpensive ($10-$15) and works wonders for giving you peace of mind.

By Lynnette

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Schnauzer With Digestive Problems

By Natasha 1

My 4-months-old schnauzer puppy has digestive problems (diarrhea) every time we try to feed him dry puppy food.

He came to us from the breeder with a sample of Eukanuba Small Breed Puppy, and from the first day his poop was soft/liquid and he was gassing profusely (very bad smell). We had to put him on home cooked chicken and rice blunt diet that stopped diarrhea. After that

1. We checked him with the vet twice and everything was fine there,

2. We tried twice to gradually put him back from this chicken and rice diet to dry food; first, to Eukanuba, second time, to California Natural Puppy, and every time, it was diarrhea all over again.

I do not know what to do and we need to feed him dry food! He eats very fast, does not chew kibbles and maybe, that is his problem, but I do not know how to slow him down. Every time we tried to switch food, we did it slowly and about a week or so - he started runs at about half a portion of dry food, half of soft food. Otherwise the puppy is always happy and active, whether he has diarrhea or not.

If anybody ever had this problem, please, help!

Natasha from Ashland, MA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Frankie 1 Flag

I have two mini schnauzer and both have bad stomach problems. My vet told me the reason for my dogs problems is because they are eating to much fat. She explain to that there body can't not break down fat and that what cause all the problems. Well it cost my over 500.00 dollars to fine this out so hope i can help someone out. so with my schnauzer i have to feed a low fat food and if i give treat to them it also have to have low fat .This is why schnauzer do well with chicken products and lamb because of the low fa. Well hope this help someone.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Has Diarrhea

By Judy Secret 1

My dog has diarrhea. She has had it for 3 days. I am giving her Pedialite. What should I do? Why is this happening?

By Jo

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Virginia T. 15 Flag

1st take away all food then get plain yogurt and pumpkin mix 1 or 2 tsp of pumpkin to several tablespoons of yogurt mix and feed as often as you like the diarrhea will stop quickly. Then slowly introduce food along with the yogurt pumpkin mix.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Has Diarrhea After Swimming in the Ocean

Why does my Jack Russell have diarrhea after being in the sea? His belly does a rumbling sound then water comes out of his backend.

By K Hughes

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Virginia T. 15 Flag

Get plain yogurt and a can of pumpkin mix several tablespoons of yogurt and add a tsp or 2 of pumpkin to it. Give it to the dog multiple times a day. The squirts will go away.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pup With Periodic Diarrhea

Once a month after being spayed my miniature Dachshund gets diarrhea. I was wondering why?

By Ernest from Vancouver, WA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Susie21 17 Flag

Sorry the measurements were incorrect for yogurt:

"1/2 tablespoon of plain unpasturised unsweetened yogurt daily. You can also give your dog acidophilus pills. The live acidophilus in the yogurt keeps the good bacteria in your dog's intestines in balance - dogs love this treat.Daily yogurt dose:

1/2 tablespoon - small sized dog

1 tablespoon - medium sized dog

2 tablespoon - large sized dog

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Remedy for Puppy with Diarrhea

By Negrita D. 1

I have a teacup Yorkie puppy who's going to be 8 weeks old next week. She weights 1 pound 4 ounces. She has diarrhea. Want could I give her so she could poop normally?

By Vanessab D.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Rachel V. 1 Flag

Hi, it would be a good idea to take your pup in for a fecal exam. Sometimes pups can have intestinal parasites- completely treatable. Make sure your pup is drinking lots of water and some organic canned pumpkin could help temporarily. Good luck with your new puppy :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Has Loose Bowel Movements

Our dog is passing loose stools and also I have noticed a patch of hair loss by her ear?

By Nicola

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Minga 2 2 Flag

February 24, 2014Best Answer

Take her to there vet. She needs medical help.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Remedy for Dog's Diarrhea

She is not eating anything. We gave her Flagyl or gravinate syrup.

By Kholla

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,354 Flag

If your dog continues to have diarrhea, after your attempts to help her have not worked, and she is not eating, she needs veterinary help now. Your dog is suffering and needs help now.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Has Diarrhea

My Yorkie has had just a little bit of diarrhea, but she is still drinking water and eating a little. She has done this for 2 days. I asked my vet and she said to give her Immodium; I have. What could be wrong? She is still playing and running around.

By JC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,046 Flag

Dogs, like humans, can get stomach bugs. You don't have to worry unless she stops eating, has worms in stool, blood in stool, acts lethargic or wobbly, or loses weight.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Not Eating and Has Diarrhea

I have a mix Poodle. She just had her first period and is acting very differently. She does not want to eat and she has been having diarrhea for two days. Is this OK? What I can do?

By Jammi

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Marcie 6 219 Flag

Make sure she is drinking water. Dogs can go for several days without eating. She should be spayed, very important. There are too many unwanted dogs in this world. If diarrhea continues another day, get her to the vet. And have her spayed.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Remedy for a Dog With Diarrhea

My dog has diarrhea; what is a cheap effective method of cure? I love my dog, so please help. Thank you.

By Reis

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By mltmrt 1 1 Flag

I have found what helps is a can of chicken rice soup helps. The broth has sodium to help retain fluids in the dogs body since they are loosing so much with the diarrhea and the rice helps to 'clog up' the system (so to speak). If it doesn't start to help within the day, I would contact the vet. The dog may become dehydrated and also the dog may have come into contact with a bug in water that is making them ill.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: My Dog Has Diarrhea

My dog has diahrrea. He's had it before and responded to antibiotics and everything was "coming out" fine, but it started out again, I got antibiotics again from the vet and it's been four days and he still has loose stools.

Sorry to talk about something so non-pleasant, but I'm resorting to taking him off solid foods as that is what my dog book suggested. Anybody out there have any good ideas? My vet said he has colitis and it's awfully hard to stop the cycle. And don't suggest cottage cheese as I'm a non-dairy eater and I come from the school of thought that dairy encourages diahrrea, so I wouldn't want to give that to my dog.

Margie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL 8 421 Flag

Talk to your Veterinarian about "Scourban" and if they have never heard of it change your Vet. Good luck

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Sick pug at the vet.
Pets Dogs HealthAugust 3, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Cat seeing a veterinarian.
Cat With Diarrhea
Dog and Vacuum
Home Remedies for Fleas
Stinky Feet on Hardwood Floor
Remedies for Stinky Feet
A woman holding her belly.
Remedies for Diarrhea
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 1:49:44 AM on 10.0.0.222 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings