Remedies for a Dog With Diarrhea

Like their human owners, dogs can suffer from occasional diarrhea. Untreated it can lead to dehydration. Determining the cause, treatment, and whether you need to make a trip to the vet are the primary concerns. This is a guide about remedies for a dog with diarrhea.

Sick pug at the vet.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

This is a guide about remedies for a puppy with diarrhea. Diarrhea can be a very serious condition for your puppy. It needs prompt attention to protect your pet's health.

Sad looking english bulldog with owners hand petting him

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used to work at a vet. While there, I learned a few "home remedies" for some common pet ailments, including diarrhea.

Instead of their usual dog food, give your pet small servings of a bland diet 4-5 times throughout the day. Choose from:

• cooked white rice (no butter or flavorings)
  • cottage cheese (no liquid)
  • boiled chicken (no grease, no skin, no flavorings)
  • boiled turkey (no grease, no skin, no flavorings)
  • scrambled egg (no butter or oil)
  • boiled egg (no butter or oil)
  • boiled potato (no skin or flavorings)
  • baked potato (no skin or flavorings)

Continue to feed several small servings of this bland diet for a few days in gradually increasing amounts until a formed stool is passed. Then, start to wean your pet back to its regular food over the course of a week by gradually working in small amounts of their regular dry dog food.

Do not give your pet bones, snacks, or table scraps, because they may irritate the intestinal tract during this time.

Dogs can also be given a dose of Pepto Bismol every 6 hours. (Dosage depends on your dog's weight: 1 ml per 10 lbs.) Bonus, the Pepto Bismol also works to stop vomiting.

Two other over-the-counter medicines can be given to dogs with diarrhea: Imodium AD (1 ml per 10 lbs. every 8 hours) and Kaopectate (Dogs: 0.05-0.1 mg/pound by mouth every 8 hours. Treatment should only be needed for 1-2 days.

If diarrhea persists or worsens, contact your veterinarian.

Vet or No Vet? Fortunately, episodes of doggie diarrhea have sudden onset, are easily cured, and occur infrequently. However, diarrhea becomes clinically significant after 24 hours. Therefore, if the diarrhea has lasted a few days, or your dog is weak and listless, or there are additional problems (such as vomiting or blood in the stool), then it is time to have a veterinarian examine your pet.

While home remedies could save you a small chunk of change in a pinch, you should always consult with your veterinarian - at least via telephone - at the onset of any "symptoms".

Here's another valuable tip that I wasn't aware of until I started working at the vet:

You don't always have to lug your pet to the vet to obtain a diagnosis (and medications if there's a problem). With diarrhea, for example, you could simply take a recent sample of your pet's stool to the vet. The "fecal test" is generally very inexpensive ($10-$15) and works wonders for giving you peace of mind.

By Lynnette

Once a month after being spayed my miniature Dachshund gets diarrhea. I was wondering why?

By Ernest from Vancouver, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sorry the measurements were incorrect for yogurt:

"1/2 tablespoon of plain unpasturised unsweetened yogurt daily. You can also give your dog acidophilus pills. The live acidophilus in the yogurt keeps the good bacteria in your dog's intestines in balance - dogs love this treat.Daily yogurt dose:

1/2 tablespoon - small sized dog

1 tablespoon - medium sized dog

2 tablespoon - large sized dog

Read More Answers...

Our dog is passing loose stools and also I have noticed a patch of hair loss by her ear?

By Nicola

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Take her to there vet. She needs medical help.

My dog has diarrhea. She has had it for 3 days. I am giving her Pedialite. What should I do? Why is this happening?

By Jo

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

1st take away all food then get plain yogurt and pumpkin mix 1 or 2 tsp of pumpkin to several tablespoons of yogurt mix and feed as often as you like the diarrhea will stop quickly. Then slowly introduce food along with the yogurt pumpkin mix.

Read More Answers...

My 4-months-old schnauzer puppy has digestive problems (diarrhea) every time we try to feed him dry puppy food.

He came to us from the breeder with a sample of Eukanuba Small Breed Puppy, and from the first day his poop was soft/liquid and he was gassing profusely (very bad smell). We had to put him on home cooked chicken and rice blunt diet that stopped diarrhea. After that

1. We checked him with the vet twice and everything was fine there,

2. We tried twice to gradually put him back from this chicken and rice diet to dry food; first, to Eukanuba, second time, to California Natural Puppy, and every time, it was diarrhea all over again.

I do not know what to do and we need to feed him dry food! He eats very fast, does not chew kibbles and maybe, that is his problem, but I do not know how to slow him down. Every time we tried to switch food, we did it slowly and about a week or so - he started runs at about half a portion of dry food, half of soft food. Otherwise the puppy is always happy and active, whether he has diarrhea or not.

If anybody ever had this problem, please, help!

Natasha from Ashland, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have two mini schnauzer and both have bad stomach problems. My vet told me the reason for my dogs problems is because they are eating to much fat. She explain to that there body can't not break down fat and that what cause all the problems. Well it cost my over 500.00 dollars to fine this out so hope i can help someone out. so with my schnauzer i have to feed a low fat food and if i give treat to them it also have to have low fat .This is why schnauzer do well with chicken products and lamb because of the low fa. Well hope this help someone.

Read More Answers...

She is not eating anything. We gave her Flagyl or gravinate syrup.

By Kholla

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If your dog continues to have diarrhea, after your attempts to help her have not worked, and she is not eating, she needs veterinary help now. Your dog is suffering and needs help now.

I have a teacup Yorkie puppy who's going to be 8 weeks old next week. She weights 1 pound 4 ounces. She has diarrhea. Want could I give her so she could poop normally?

By Vanessab D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi, it would be a good idea to take your pup in for a fecal exam. Sometimes pups can have intestinal parasites- completely treatable. Make sure your pup is drinking lots of water and some organic canned pumpkin could help temporarily. Good luck with your new puppy :)

Read More Answers...

My Yorkie has had just a little bit of diarrhea, but she is still drinking water and eating a little. She has done this for 2 days. I asked my vet and she said to give her Immodium; I have. What could be wrong? She is still playing and running around.

By JC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dogs, like humans, can get stomach bugs. You don't have to worry unless she stops eating, has worms in stool, blood in stool, acts lethargic or wobbly, or loses weight.

I have a mix Poodle. She just had her first period and is acting very differently. She does not want to eat and she has been having diarrhea for two days. Is this OK? What I can do?

By Jammi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Make sure she is drinking water. Dogs can go for several days without eating. She should be spayed, very important. There are too many unwanted dogs in this world. If diarrhea continues another day, get her to the vet. And have her spayed.

Why does my Jack Russell have diarrhea after being in the sea? His belly does a rumbling sound then water comes out of his backend.

By K Hughes

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Get plain yogurt and a can of pumpkin mix several tablespoons of yogurt and add a tsp or 2 of pumpkin to it. Give it to the dog multiple times a day. The squirts will go away.

Read More Answers...

My dog has diarrhea; what is a cheap effective method of cure? I love my dog, so please help. Thank you.

By Reis

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have found what helps is a can of chicken rice soup helps. The broth has sodium to help retain fluids in the dogs body since they are loosing so much with the diarrhea and the rice helps to 'clog up' the system (so to speak). If it doesn't start to help within the day, I would contact the vet. The dog may become dehydrated and also the dog may have come into contact with a bug in water that is making them ill.

My dog has diahrrea. He's had it before and responded to antibiotics and everything was "coming out" fine, but it started out again, I got antibiotics again from the vet and it's been four days and he still has loose stools.

Sorry to talk about something so non-pleasant, but I'm resorting to taking him off solid foods as that is what my dog book suggested. Anybody out there have any good ideas? My vet said he has colitis and it's awfully hard to stop the cycle. And don't suggest cottage cheese as I'm a non-dairy eater and I come from the school of thought that dairy encourages diahrrea, so I wouldn't want to give that to my dog.

Margie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Talk to your Veterinarian about "Scourban" and if they have never heard of it change your Vet. Good luck

My dog has diarrhea. He's had it before and responded to antibiotics and everything was "coming out"

fine, but it started out again, I got antibiotics again from the vet and it's been four days and he still

has loose stools.

Sorry to talk about something so non-pleasant, but I'm resorting to taking him off solid foods as that

is what my dog book suggested. Anybody out there have any good ideas? My vet said he has colitis and

it's awfully hard to stop the cycle. And don't suggest cottage cheese as I'm a non-dairy eater and I

come from the school of thought that dairy encourages diarrhea, so I wouldn't want to give that to my

dog.

Margie

My Dog Has Diarrhea

Try 1 tablespoon Pepto Bismal; our vet says it's safe for dogs. Also with the rice try a little bit of

browned hamburger, but make sure to rinse it under some water to rinse off the grease as to not upset the

dog's stomach any further. Our vet had us do this with our dog when she got cancer and was unable to eat

dog food. (05/31/2005)

By imaqt1962

My Dog Has Diarrhea

You should definitely take your dog to see a different vet if the diarrhea does not clear up within 48

hours. There are many causes for diarrhea including, but not limited to: change in diet, stress, disease,

illness, and parasites. The diet and stress inducing life changes would only cause temporary diarrhea,

but anything longer than 48 hours would more likely be from illness, disease, or parasites. It is crucial

that your pet see a vet for these causes, as delaying treatment could allow the dog to become severely

dehydrated, or worse. Please consider taking the dog to a different vet, if the one you are currently

using doesn't seem to be doing anything helpful. It may not be the most "thrifty" solution, but it may be

the safest. (05/31/2005)

By Karen

My Dog Has Diarrhea

Did dog have antibiotics for illness? Maybe like humans, you need to restore good critters to intestines

and digestive track with active yogurt. (05/31/2005)

By kelleno

My Dog Has Diarrhea

You can give canned pumpkin (not pie filling) just plain with nothing added. You can mix it with

hamburger if your dog won't eat it. I would go to another vet, too. (05/31/2005)

By Donna J.

My Dog Has Diarrhea

This just happened to us and this solution worked great. Give the dog either Imodium pills or generic

equivalent. Be sure to look on the pack for dosage according to weight of the dog. Good luck!

(06/01/2005)

By Susan

My Dog Has Diarrhea

My vet says only use chicken or turkey with the rice. Boil it and then just feed a little at a time,

until the diarrhea is gone do not give anything else except Pepto or the like. Yes you need to go to

another vet if they don't seem to be concerned.
My dog likes anything I give her. Try Gatoraid or Pedialyte for the electrolytes. (06/01/2005)

By Sandy

My Dog Has Diarrhea

My Dog Has Diarrhea

First coat his bowl with Kaopectate. Then put in scrambled eggs with cream of wheat cereal with a little

garlic powder, cranberry sauce, and a tiny bit of bacon fat if you have it. Just a tiny bit, a lot of

animals love it, I know mine do. You don't want to load poochie with grease. Smear it on paws and face if

pooch won't eat it at first, he'll have to clean himself.

Gradually add in a bit of regular food, could the food perhaps be causing this?
Get another vet if all this one can do is give antibiotics, or are you demanding them when something else

might be better?
Yes dairy can give trots to some creatures, human and otherwise, but not all. Some do fine, others react

the opposite way.

Never worry about posting "unpleasant " subjects. We are here to help each other and our animal

family.
(07/05/2005)

By Linne

My Dog Has Diarrhea

I would suggest actually going back to the same vet, if this is a vet you have used and trusted in the

past. "Colitis" is inflammation of the intestinal lining (from any cause), and often is a catch-all

diagnosis when no specific cause is found on the fecal, physical exam or blood work. Because many

different things can cause it, there are many different things that might fix it. Meaning, your vet knows

what he has already done to try to help your dog, and he very likely has a plan (in his head or written

down) for what to do next if the illness persists. If anything has changed at all with your dog's

condition, however insignificant it may seem to you, it just might be the one clue the vet needs to

figure out just what is causing the colitis and what will fix it.

A new vet is like starting over. He will need to be told about everything that has already happened

with your dog and the exact treatments given. Because the new vet may not be sure of the circumstances

under which a laboratory test was performed, he might need to do it again, at your expense.
My advice is to give your vet another chance. Have him explain what he wants to do now, and what he plans

to do if that doesn't fix it. Sometimes the owner is spared from having a zillion tests done on the first

visit for a definite diagnosis for diarrhea, assuming the pet appears otherwise healthy, because most of

the time the first treatment will work. Ask your vet if it is OK to fast your dog for 24-48 hrs (nothing

but water, then gradually introduce small amounts of bland food like boiled chicken and rice "no spices

or flavor added"). If your dog is healthy enough to go without eating for a day, it might give his poor

intestines time to heal. (07/16/2005)

By A vet student

My Dog Has Diarrhea

My puppy is almost 6 months old and for the past 2 months he has had diarrhea on and off. We took him to

the vet a couple times and they say that nothing is wrong. He just has a sensitive stomach. We put him on

RX strength Eukanuba food. It cures the diarrhea, but everytime we try to wean him back to the regular

food, he gets diarrhea again. The vet said we will just have to keep him on the RX food for a while. Try

asking about the RX food. It is more expensive, but it might be all you need. It is a low residue food.

(08/09/2007)

By LAURA

My Dog Has Diarrhea

I once had a dog with Colitis. The best thing for your dog is an all natural diet or even raw for that

matter! Once my dog was diagnosed we went to a raw diet and then went to our local pet food stores and

found raw diet dog food. He did very well with this! As far as dealing with the diarrhea, try some bland

cooked food such as a mixture of rice, oatmeal, and chicken, it works like a charm! (01/22/2008)

My Dog Has Diarrhea

(submitted via email)
I know this is going to sound silly, but cater to your dog. Give your dog extra loving and petting. Make

sure you don't rile the dog up too much (i.e rough play or fetching) We have found that when our dog gets

diarrhea that she is stressed or upset about something. Normally we give her boiled chicken and rice or

just plain rice, and then start mixing the rice with her food to get her back into her own food (once the

diarrhea subsides). Try this out with your dog and let me know if it works! Good luck.

Melissa (02/28/2008)

By jess

My Dog Has Diarrhea

If your puppy has had diarrhea, has been vomiting, acting lethargic, and has had a loss in appetite,

there is a chance you pup has Parvo disease. It is extremely serious and should be taken to your vet

immediately. The sooner it is caught the better of a chance you dog will survive. Good luck.

In memory of Alfredo. (01/08/2009)

By Brian

width="400" height="300" alt="RE: My Dog Has Diarrhea" />

My Dog Has Diarrhea

My Dog had watery stools on and off. It could be the diet and I understand that the protein is what they

are most sensitive to. So try changing the food to something completely different. A pet store owner also

recommended that I add a medallion of freeze dried frozen (Natures Variety) to her food. What an amazing

difference! I actually panic if I run out of medallions! She has not had a loose stool since adding freeze

dried raw to her diet! (approximately 4 months) (02/17/2009)

By Jamie

My Dog Has Diarrhea

My cavalier King Charles spaniel had loose stool. We went to the vet, he was pretty sure she had colitis,

by the description of the stool. He said usually it looked mucusy, it did. He gave her Flagyl for 5

days. It cleared up, but came back a couple of weeks later. No diarrhea, just loose once a day.

Another round of Flagyl, stool sampling for worms, and a 3 day round of wormer. Finally, an abdominal

ultrasound for complete diagnosis. Yes, colitis. She was put on Iams Vet Formula, Low Residue dog food,

and also one tsp. of canned pumpkin. You can look this up, it's the treatment of choice. She's good, so

far normal. It's only a few days, but there's a distinct difference. Remains to be seen. (11/07/2010)

By BabeeBooma

<p

align="center">height="300" alt="RE: My Dog Has Diarrhea" />

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets Dogs HealthAugust 3, 2013
Cat seeing a veterinarian.
Cat With Diarrhea
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
A woman holding her belly.
Remedies for Diarrhea
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 5, 2016 at 2:12:59 PM on 10.0.2.226 in 857 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.