Browsing: Causes of Ear Itching

Remedy for Itchy Ears

I have had itchy ears for some time now and the last time I visited an ENT I was given antibiotics and it stop for almost a year and now it has started again. Please what might be the cause of it? Thank you.

By Jenny from Accra, Ghana

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

You can try using white vinegar and water or peroxide in a 50/50 ratio to flush the ear, this way if there is an infection starting it will cure it.

If the antibiotics stopped the itch for a year, it sounds as though what ever conditions caused the itch in the first place have caused it again.

You live in Ghana which is a tropical country, is it possible the environmental conditions there have exposed you to a fungus? Tropical countries are wonderful places to live but unfortunately come with lots of fungal infection conducive conditions.

For example, I lived in Guatemala for 2.5 years and on my return to the USA it took my doctor several years to figure out I had picked up a fungal infection whilst in Central America. The antibiotics would clear it up enough to stop the horrible itch but then as soon as it got warm and humid (I was living in the US Deep South) the fungal infection would flare up and I would be back in the doctor's office.

He thought I had recurring ear infections and didn't think to test me for a tropical fungus until I read something in a travel magazine and took the article to him. Once the test results came back I was put on the right medication and while I had to take the meds for close to two years, the fungus was cleared and I'm fine now.

Perhaps you might ask your doctor to test you for a fungus. The test is painless: the doctor gently scrapes the area where the itch is worse to gather several samples of dead skin cells. He/she then either cultures the samples in the clinic lab or sends the samples to a centralised lab for culturing and a diagnosis. The results take about two weeks to come back.

The proper medication to completely clear the fungus may need to be taken for as long as 6-12 months but is very much worth it!

A man scratching his ear.
Causes of Ear Itching
Health & Beauty AdviceJuly 29, 2013
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
A woman with itchy ears.
Remedies for Itchy Ears
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 4:10:10 PM on 10.0.1.28 in 340 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.