Remedy for Pain from New Temporary Partial

I have had my new temporary partial for about a week and have started to adjust to them, but my tongue it terribly sore. It feels like it's constantly being rubbed or burned. How do I fix this?

Anbesol and Numz-it will provide relief until you can get to the dentist for an adjustment.

Can you remove the partial at certain times to alleviate the rubbing? Call your dentist right away to get his input.

Hello! I have my permanent partials finally, but remember the temporary one...because adjusting to the permanent one is exactly the same. They manufacture it with a little extra material, so the dentist can customize it. The materials are quite similar to the ones used to make artificial fingernails, different types of acrylics and similar. I had to get the temporary one relined a few times until I could get the partials, but this doesn't sound like your problem. While you wait for your adjustment appointment, go to a drug store or beauty supply store, and get a BUFFING FILE. It is the one used to smooth or shine your nails, not to shape them. It has an almost completely smooth surface and is flexible. Gently use it to smooth the tiny bits that are rubbing your tongue raw. Smooth a little, try it on, smooth a little, until you are satisfied. The objective isn't to change the shape, but to just dull the microscopic barbs that are bothering you. I got the one with 3 surfaces- start with the roughest of the three, then work to ward the smoothest-the smoothest one will just give the new surface a smoother appearance.

If something is rubbing, you need to see the dentist to have an adjustment done. I had to go several times until we got it right. No one's fault, just the way it fits when you install it. But don't wait or be in discomfort, you need to go soon so the adjustment can be made professionally.