Remedy for Perm Damaged Hair

Early last year I put a perm in my hair. I didn't notice until after it was done that I had mixed two different strength perms in my hair (mild and super). The damage to my hair was devastating. When I washed it out my hair was like elastic and it was breaking off something terrible! After making the decision to just cut it off and hope for the best it has grown back it just hasn't been the same since. I'm using two perm repair deep conditioners in my hair, not using heat on my hair, and I've been taking vitamins such as biotin for the health of my hair.

I know it requires patience seeing as it was a botched perm job, but my question is, will my hair ever return to it's natural grade before I permed it? Is your hair ever the same after a perm?

By s.r

Best Answer

I agree with the other responder. As a former cosmetologist, I can verify that until all the damaged hair has been cut away, it will not be the same. Until your new growth has reached a length you are comfortable cutting to, conditioning does help, but be careful not to over condition.

A reconstructing conditioner once per month, a perm repair conditioner every 2 weeks, a regular moisturizing conditioner the rest of the time. There is actually such a thing as over conditioning. It won't make much difference one way or the other on the perm-burned ends, but could be why your new growth feels different to you. Taking the vitamins is always a good idea, damage or not.

Another good point was brought up-the difference you feel in the new growth is likely unrelated to the perm damage, as the hair that was unformed inside your scalp can suffer no lasting effect from what was applied to hair you already have. The only way the new growth would be affected from the perm is if you also suffered a chemical burn on your scalp, and I doubt you did, because you would have run to a doctor by now.

Another possibility is that the difference in the damaged hair and new growth is so great that the new growth feels odd. One more thing, until you have enough new growth to cut off all damaged ends, trim frequently: 1/8 inch a week, in other words just the very ends, will minimize damage traveling up the hair shaft without cutting off more than what grows out. So you won't see more length, but you will see a lot less damage than if you didn't trim frequently. Good luck!

There is not much you can do for your damaged hair now. Only your new growth hair that has not been altered in any way will be the same hair as before the damage.

Note, however, some people are suprized to have new hair growth after a perm or other chemical process that is not the same as before. The new hair coming in may have changed color, curl, etc., as a natural process that would have occurred with or without any chemical alteration.