Remedy for Swelling and Redness from Black Fly Bites

What can I do for swelling from black fly bites on a 4 year old? His forehead around his eyes and around his ears is red and quite warm. What should I do?

By Chris from Nova Scotia, Canada

Common sense would tell me to take him to the doctor.

Take him to the doctor right away. Those bites might not be black flies. He also may need some medication.

My son also was a black fly magnet, he was a brittle diabetic so cut out sugars as it seems to make them very 'tasty' to black flies.

Benadryl helps with the itching.

Ice in a boo boo bunny helps the swelling.

Tylenol for temp.

Clor-trimeton (anti-hystamine OTC) was great for daily use on kids, helped with allergies and itching.

Preventatives:

Spray baseball hat with bug spray.

Spray a bandana with bug spray and attach to back of hat so it hangs over the neck (also helps with preventing sunburns on neck).

Do not use sweet smelling sun block. I used the lip balm with SPF on M's ears to help keep the sun off and the grease seemed to help keep off the black flies.

Keep grass short, certain times of the day are worse than others. An area with breeze cuts down on the flies vs area that doesn't have air movement.

Go to the doctor ASAP!

If you have a cigarette, wet the tobacco with water cover that bite with the wet tobacco. The nicotine from the tobacco helps. I was stung by a bee and bite by biting flies and the pharmacist told me to get a cigarette and wet the tobacco. The nicotine from the tobacco helps. Hooray, my swollen skin is no longer there.

Health & Beauty Home RemediesMay 31, 2011
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
Facial Redness
Remedies for Facial Redness
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes
🎄
🍂