Remembering Birthdays

Birthday Reminder on Calendar
There are calendars, software programs, and other products sold to help us keep track of birthdays. This is a guide about remembering birthdays.

When the new year gets here, take a few minutes and go through your whole calendar writing in the Birthdays of people you will send cards or presents to. You can keep rolling this forward by using last years calendar to remember.

By Melanie

I send out a lot of birthday cards throughout the year, and have found this tip to be very helpful. At the beginning of each month, I check my calendar to see who all has a birthday that month. Next, I go to The Dollar Tree to purchase all the cards for those people (cards are 2/$1.00). I bring the cards home and fill them all out at one time.

I don't put the stamp on until the day I mail the card. The reason for this is: I use a pencil and write the date I want to mail the card right where the stamp goes (for example 12/22). You get the idea. I keep all the cards in a particular place, and add the stamp the day I want to mail them.

By Judy from Birmingham, AL

I went online to www.realsimple.com and they had a birthday organizer that you could download and print out, then I put the names and the dates of the birthdays on the months that were posted. I hung mine on the bathroom wall.

My daughter has some autistic problems and one is she likes to tear paper and she has killed my address book or calendar so many times. So now I carry a small calendar in my purse and have a small one by the microwave where I can get to and she doesn't really bother with it.

By Barbara from Shoemakersville, PA

Editor's Note: Here is the direct link to the birthday organizer:

Do you ever get to the store and wonder who has a birthday this month ? I have found to take a calendar with plastic cover works great. Inside the plastic, slip in the word BIRTHDAY so you can see at a glance what the calendar is for. Look at the month and, at a glance, you will see who all you need to buy a card, gift, etc., for. This way you will never think why did I not remember to pick up something for (name) birthday this month. You also might like to include anniversaries too

By Jodi from Texas

Does anyone have any good ideas about how to be sure you remember all the birthdays you want to send cards for? I put them on a calendar but then forget to look at the calendar!

If you have a cell phone you can program reminders in it like appointments and birthdays etc. Your phone will ring and let you know what you programmed so you won't forget it.

Also if you have a yahoo email address you can sign up for yahoo calendar. You just fill out the calendar on whatever day you want to remember. The address is my.yahoo.com

Try www.birthdayalarm.com

It's free to sign up and leaves you an email message a few days in advance and then a reminder after that.

There are some online programs that will send you an email like a week in advance to remind you-also, i made a calander taht i can use every year (I hate re-writing them all every year) so its a calander that is simple and by date and on the front and back of one sheet and I jsut keep in in my desk and try to look once a month adn get them all ready at the same time. I think one of the online reminder services is called bebo. I am sure you could google and find some that way as well. :)

Post the calendar someplace you ALWAYS look at multiple times of the day --- don't laugh, the inside of the bathroom door (or other wall easily visible from in the room near the potty) is useful.

Storing the cards near the spot is good too (need not be IN the same room). Do not put off the card-sending after you see it, you'll forget or be distracted.

I have a magnetic calendar that I keep on my frig. You can make calendar sheets on the computer and buy a clear folder with the slide fastener. I put a magnet on the slide and now I have a homemade calendar. Instead of wrting peoples names on their birthdays I put their pictures on that day. Now that's hard to miss and I see it coming up all month.

Use a shoe box (or other suitable-sized box) for storage, and make monthly dividers (old file folders can be recycled for this). On the front of each divider, write the names and dates of birthdays you want to remember for that month. If you purchase boxed cards (or make homemade ones!), you can easily fill up your box with a card behind the divider for each birthday that month. Once a month, write out the cards and put the date to mail where the stamp goes. Keep these in the area where you write your bills--it is easy to keep up with mailing the cards as you send out your bills.

i use birthdayalarm.com

it sends email reminders and even has cards on its site. i love it

After Christmas every year I get boxed cards and take the time to figure out who gets what card during the year. I go ahead and address the envelopes and where the stamp goes I put the date of their birthday. I then put them in order in my bill organizer by my front door and have a Yahoo calendar that I have set to remind me 7 days in advance of birthdays. The day I get the reminder I put a stamp on the envelope and sign the card, etc. And try to mail it that day or the next. I never forget and it is never late.

I use date manager on the computer and you can write what you want to pop up at the time you choose. You can then choose 'snooze' and set it for 5 minutes, 1 hour, or longer to pop up as another reminder, or 'close' and it won't pop up again. Setting it for a few days or even a week ahead of time gives you enough days to get on track.

www.flylady.net -- my guess is that if you're forgetting to look at the calendar, flying could really help you out!!

there is a free program that will send you an email whenever you want (day before, week before) that will tell you the persons name and birthday. You can send it to all your friends and family and have them add their birthday. I am not sure of the name, I think it is birthdayreminder.com. When I get another reminder, I will post the correct website.

I have a celebrations notebook--a three ring notebook with 6 two sided pockets made for three ring notebooks. cost about $5.00. I put the tabs on each folder and on the tabs wrote the months--front of the first folder I put January, on the back February. Second folder was March on front April on back and so on. Right on the pocket I wrote birthday/anniversary dates by date and name. On the first day of every month I look at the correct folder and then try to buy all the needed cards. I put the cards into the pocket and then every Monday I look again and mail out the cards as the dates require. In the front pocket of the notebook I put stamps, return address labels and a list of the addresses of the people listed in the book. It is so easy with everything in one folder and I never forget a card. I know you are thinking this is even more involved than remembering to look at the calendar, but after a month or two of doing this you will enjoy remembering all the celebrations you will look forward to looking at it (sometimes i am two months ahead!

Hallmark has a reminder program at their Internet site. You list the dates, who, etc., and they will send you e-mail reminders. They also have a list of holidays that is quite inclusive--just choose the ones you want.

Most importantly, they have free e-cards you can send from the same site. Go see them; they are really nice, something for everyone.

They also have cards, flowers and gifts for sale, but you don't have to spend a dime in order to maintain a reminder list or to send free e-cards.

Their site is www.Hallmark.com . Hallmark still is the one to use "when you want to sent the very best"--even if it's free.

Thanks for all the great ideas!!!

I am looking for a form to print to keep track of Birthdays, year at a glance style. Thanks for any help.

i myself have it written on the calendar. when the new year comes i've copied any birthdays on new calendar from previous one.

I keep track for family and friends by doing a list on Excel...I put in the months and then under that I list who's birthday it is and then the day beside it like: January

Tony-2nd

Bill-14th

So on....then I print it out. I keep it in an accordian file with holiday cards, envelopes.

Hope this helps.

I just write all the birthdays on my calendar. I am always checking my calendar anyway. That has worked for me. I usually go to Dollar General or some place such as that and buy up quite a few cards I'll be needing at once. I get the .50 ea kind but they are very nice. I also make some on the computer and I figure with card stock and envelopes, they probably cost me 11 cents plus a little of my time!

As part of my Mother's birthday gift in Feb. I had bought her this nice accordian type of file from Wal-Mart. It is vinyl coated I guess....it has atleast 12 areas. I also bought her a bunch of nice Birthday and other greeting cards at Dollar General. She sends lots of cards. Well let me tell you, she was very excited about this gift and thought I'd chosen some really nice cards that she'd be very proud to send. This file thing also had tabs where she could fill out the months of the year and then organize her cards by the month. I think this makes a good gift-giving idea but it works for anyone to keep on top of buying cards and sending them!

If you are good with the computer, or scrapbooking. You can make a book that does not contain the year, as calendars do. You only print the days of the month and leave space beside each day to jot down birthdays, aniversaries and any other dates you want to remember. Since it isn't an actual yearly calendar, it will work for every year and additions are easily jotted down. Be sure to include the extra day in Feb.!

I worked at a print shop and we made these birthday books for free gifts to customers. Very handy.

I also keep a box of various cards for occasions when I might not feel like getting out to buy a card. Most of the cards are blank on the inside and I write a sentament individual to the person.

You use a computer everyday so use the www.birthdayalarm.com it is free and it will e-mail you 2 weeks or a week in advance. you can add everyone. I use it and love it. I never miss a b-day

Elizabeth,I know your request is a little old but if you are still looking I got mine at:www,realsimple.com/birthday If you found a better one let me know but this on works fine.A hint:I use pencil on mine because I can erase and insert another.Happy Holidays,Keeper

I used to have a small book that had monthly pages where I could quickly see the special reminders and it had pockets to insert the cards needed for that month. I would like to know if anyone can help me find one?