Remembering Names

Women Greeting Each Other
When being introduced to a new acquaintance, it can be a challenge to remember their name. There are a few memory tricks that can help. This is a guide about remembering names.

Do you have trouble remembering people's names when introduced to several at a time? Me too! Here is something I do that has helped me. I make it a point to shake hands with each person, which gives me time to repeat their name and ask a question that will hopefully relate them to someone I know or where they work for later reference.

Usually the person making the introductions will give you the lead for your question. Never just say hello, or nice to meet you, take it one step farther and make the attempt to secure their name in your memory. Most people will give you something that will remind you of them or at least who they were with. If you missed a name don't be too embarrassed to ask a second time to be sure what their name was, they will be flattered you are interested as long as you are sincere.

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

Don't you hate it when you know someone but can't remember their name? Here are some tips to help. Post your ideas.

Answers:

Tips For Remembering Names

Make a mental connection to someone's name as you meet. For example, Bill might remind you of your dentist who gives you a bill, or a Marilyn or a Norma might make you think of Marilyn Monroe because they are blonde. Just don't voice it unless it is flattering!

By Linda

Tips For Remembering Names

I am awful at remembering names. To help, I try to repeat the name as soon as I hear it, i.e. "Nice to meet you Karen" Then I try to form a link to another Karen I might have known and say it out loud "I once had a neighbor named Karen." Use the name again as you say goodbye.

By Linda

Tips For Remembering Names

To remember someone's name I break the name up into words and use it in a sentence. Michael might be 'He dropped a mike in his ale' or Hillary might be 'She climbed a hill to get some air(y)'.
(12/08/2004)

By MrsKris007

Remembering Names Tip

Another memory tip. When you meet someone for the first time, say their name back to them and it will help you to remember it. "Hello, John Doe, pleased to meet you."

By Fletcher (12/12/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Tips For Remembering Names

Well, how about you say to that person, "I'm sorry, but I can't remember your name." I'm sure they would be glad to tell you and it would be of little work on their part. (12/20/2004)

By lorac456

Tips For Remembering Names

A trick I learned a long time ago was to take the first letter of their name and find the shape of that letter somewhere on their face. Sounds weird, but it really works. You will at least have a start. I also have to make up little sayings. I have 3 friends named, Kristin, Kirsten and Keersten - all pronounced differently. "Here is Keersten", "Her is Kirsten". And is simply OK to ask over and again. Some names are just hard to recall. (12/21/2004)

By Cavelady

Tips For Remembering Names

I make up poems about that person. They don't scan particularly well, but I don't plan to publish them!

Things like: SUE, SUE, She's so tall - she doesn't know what to do.

See! I said they were bad!
(12/23/2004)

By Julie UK