Remembering Without a List

Category Memory Tricks
A women covered in post-it notes.
Lists can be a great way to remember things but if you forget your list or have nothing to write on you may be in trouble. Finding other ways to remember things can be really helpful. This is a guide about remembering without a list.

Jog your memory for remembering something later without a note:

We've all heard of tying a string around your finger to remember something. Well, sometimes you simply don't have any string with you, or a pen and paper or anything else to remind you, but actually you do.

When I need to remember something without a note, I move my ring to the other hand. As I move it I go over the task to be retrieved later a few times to help etch it in memory. You'll find a ring on the other hand will drive you nuts and you'll be constantly reminded to "do something later ". No ring? Cuff your sleeves, turn up a collar, move your watch, or button your shirt wrong at the bottom.

There's usually something you can do that is already with you that will be changeable enough to give your memory a jog for that thing you need to do or remember later.

By Jim from Cleveland, OH

Sometimes one can remember items needed without a list by using the first letters to spell a word. If that doesn't work because the letters just can't spell a word no-way, no how, make up a silly sentence with each letter standing for a word. So apples, soda, bread, and onions becomes "Some Boys Ate Onions".

Mnemonic devices ROCK!

By Linda from Vista, CA

This suggestion does use a form of list but so often I note that I need things throughout the week. If it is written on a sheet of paper, the paper is often left home or lost. Or we are out and decide to just stop at the store. Since we only have cell phones, they are always easily accessible. I have a note app (free of course) on it that I put the items into as I think of them. One list title is "Needed Now", the other list is a general list that will need sometime in the future.

If it is going to be a quick run in and out of the store, I just get the "Need Now" items. If we are not in a hurry, I get all the items in the lists. Nowadays, everyone always have their cell phones with them basically because texting is so prevalent and the list can not be left behind or forgotten.

Springpad is an app that you can have on a notebook, computer and on your phone. When you change a list in one spot, it get's updated in all your springpad lists. There are other apps like this one that does the same thing. Hope this helps those who do use their phones for other than the purpose of the phone.

By Lori from Palm Bay, Florida

If I'm running into a store for just a few things I will think of the words for each item I need, then with the starting letter from each word make a new word. For example if I need rice, bread, ice cream, and donuts. I will use the word "bird". Then I'll repeat I need bird, bird, bird, B is for bread, I is for icecream R is for rice etc. Strange, but it works, especially if there isn't a note pad or pen around.

By Melanie