Removing Bathtub Decals

Category Bathroom
Photo of decals stuck to the bottom of a bathtub.
Over time bathtub decals can begin to come off. Removing them completely can make it easier to clean your tub or to apply new decals. This is a guide about removing bathtub decals.

How do you remove those non-skid bathtub appliques without damaging the tub surface. We've tried all sorts of cleaners, Goo-Gone and turpentine and they still hang on. We moved into a place where the prior tenant installed them and they are very worn and very ugly. Help!

By Murph

Anonymous

I use razor blades. Single edge razor blades. Please do it carefully though and do it on a slant.

- Bonnie

I have been told to soak a cloth with hot vinegar and allow it to work in. Don't know if it works or not, but worth a try.

Anonymous

Try nail polish remover-the kind WITH acetone.

- Kimdedo

wd-40 will remove sticky stuff and remove with very little work

Just go to a beauty supply store, and buy some pure acetone. Actually, you can probably buy it at some hardware stores. It removes EVERYTHING.

WAIT....what kind of tub is it? I originally thought that I had read that it was porcelain...but as I re-read the original post, it doesn't say what type of tub it is. If it's not porcelain DON'T use the pure acetone on it! Acetone will also dissolve acrylic. I'm not sure about the fiberglass...but, I wouldn't chance it.

Other solution...heat gun...used VERY carefully

Try scraping them off with a the tool you would use to remove paint from windows. If that doesn't work, try using a heat gun first. Once the rubber part is off, clean the sticky stuff that's left off with a solvent. Then clean the tub with Soft Scrub.

Go to any Home Depot or Lowes store, in the paint dept. look for solvents and choose M.E.K.

It remove adhesives and much more, use very little on a cloth.

Try to avoid those nasty chemicals which you shouldn't be breathing/handling, including WD40. My appliqués come off easily, as the glue is drying out. A hair dryer may dry out the glue and make removal easy and nontoxic.

If the tub is porcelain, do as above and use a razor blade and then Softscrub or Comet or some other cleanser to remove the black marks that will ensue. It's possible that a sponge with a scrubbing pad and some baking soda would do it.

There is also something called Goop that removes any kind of sticker and is really nice to have for other adhesive removals. Not sure about any of this if your tub is vinyl. I'd look for the goop stuff and see what it says.

Best, Karen

We moved into a condo and find we cannot clean off those sticky slip proof decals that were put on the bottom of the tub. They all have turned a dark grey and are stuck fast to the tub. Any ideas?

By msb

First remove the decal with a putty knife (something that can help pry up the decal). If it is really bad shape (crumbling or falling apart), soak with baking soda mixed with water. Make a paste, and leave it on over night. This should loosen it up. Once you have it up there will be outline of where it was. Goof off, goo be gone or WD40 will get it of and it should be fine. If this doesn't work, please get in touch. I am expert in thrifty cleaning. I'll do more research. Good luck!

We purchased a nice older condo in Florida. Reno won't happen for awhile. Until we can do the bathroom I'd like to get rid of those stick on non slip "flowers" in the bottom of the tub that the former owner placed. There is no way can I get them off. Anyone know how to remove them without marking the tub up?

By Darlene from Marco Island, FL

Several things come to mind; apply heat with a hair dryer and see if that loosens the adhesive. Another idea is to try scraping them off with a single edge razor blade. Or try saturating one with GooGone, then try to loosen the sticker with an old credit card.

Be warned: any of these may leave you with more of a mess than you started with. You just might be better off leaving the bathtub alone. It doesn't look that bad from your photo.

I agree with the previous poster, OliveOyl. You might be better off to just leave the decals where they are. I removed some circa 1970s decals from a tub, only to find that the adhesive on these decals left permanent marks that I have been unable to remove. In hindsight, the decals worked well to make the tub safer and not slippery, even though the design was not the most attractive. Good luck!

truerblue in PA

I always use WD40 to remove labels and it does not leave marks. Makes it all go away. Just spray as far under the decals as u can and work slowly with a razor blade once the decals are off spray the whole area with the WD40 and keep wiping it until all the sticky is off it really does work. I use it for labels on glass windows and jars.

I had them on my tub but after a few baths with bath oil they came loose enough for me to just pull them up.

If you decide to use some type of scraper, be sure to use a liquid with it to keep the scraper from scratching the tub. (Source CleanTeam) A cleaner like dish liquid is a good lubricant for this purpose.

How can I get bathtub decals off?

nsd624 from Madison, WI

Answers:

Removing Bathtub Decals

I had 25 year old bathtub decals in my tub, and I used a product called "The Ultimate Goo Remover". You can find it at Walmart or home improvement stores like Menard's or Home Depot for just a couple dollars. It worked great. (05/03/2006)

By wendyg123

Removing Bathtub Decals

I used a hair dryer to get them good and warm and then they peeled off easily. Follow up with lighter fluid or Goo-Gone to remove the last of the glue (05/03/2006)

By Annie