Removing Black Soot from a Wood Stove Window

Category Glass
A wood stove with blackened windows.
Soot can collect on the door glass of your wood stove. This guide contains several suggestions for removing black soot from a wood stove window.

Vinegar on a newspaper works great on getting the black soot off of your woodstove window and much easier than using oven cleaner.

By Donna Marie

Top Comment

I clean my wood stove window by placing a large newspaper under it to catch the soot that drops while I am cleaning it.

I use window cleaner, car washing fluid or whatever I have and spray on the stove window. I rub with newspaper and then I toss the paper into the stove.

To keep the windows from becoming sooty quickly, I use paper to start my fire and try to keep paper and wood away from the door so the window does not get soot stained. I want to get as much heat out that window as possible.

By Jill

Top Comment

We use oven cleaner, first we spray it on a cool window, wait 5 maybe 10 minutes, wipe all the clean off with newspaper,or paper towels. Then we spray window clean on it, wipe it down and we have a great window to watch our fire through.

Top Comment

I just use a damp newspaper dipped in the wood ashes to clean my stove window. Then I dip another newspaper page in plain water and rinse the window off and dry it with another newspaper page. Then I let the pages dry and use them later for starting my fire. Make sure your window is warm or cold, not hot.

Top Comment

I keep the glass in my wood burning stove clean by pouring some AJAX dish soap into hot water. I then soak the rag and wipe them off. It's easy. Just watch for drips.

Top Comment

I use Easy Off lemon scented aresol. It works great. Just like windex on a dirty window. You don't even have to wait. Just spray it on, and wipe it off. Easy as slicing a piece of pumking pie. I love how this works!