Removing Body Odor From Furniture

The upholstery on your furniture can pick up body odor and need cleaning or refreshing. This is a guide about removing body odor from furniture.

Upholstered couch.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

How do I get body odor smell out of a sofa?

By Carol M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Mix a tablespoon of baking soda with water to form a paste, apply to area where the smell is, leave there for 10 minutes, then wipe with wet towel, repeat if necessary. Note: make a test patch on a small area first to check if the color fades or bleeds, if not continue to apply the baking soda on the area. You can increase the paste if you need to cover a large portion of the sofa, just estimate the amount needed to cover the particular area of the sofa.

I have a sectional sofa that everyone always ends up taking a nap on. It has recently begun to smell like sweat. I have tried steaming it, using Febreze, and upholstery cleaner and nothing seems to help. It still has the smell of body odor.

Any suggestions?
Lori

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

*Be sure to test that colors don't fade or bleed before treating sofa.* Mix in spray bottle: 16 oz. hydrogen peroxide, 2 tsp baking soda, 1-2 tsp hand dishwashing liquid. Spray on, rub w/ fingertips to foam a little if can, blot off excess after a few (10?) minutes w/ clean terry towel. Should not stink after treatment. This recipe was for cat urine stains/smells, but worked on my sofa, too. Note: Just mix what you think you will use at one time, not sure if it works or works as well after sitting a while. It works b/c of the chemical reaction of the ingredients. No fumes though. Good Luck!

Read More Answers...

How do I get rid of the horrible smell of stinky feet and body odor from my furniture without breaking the bank?

By cleanhome from Orange County, CA

Removing Body Odor from Furniture

Get some foam on carpet shampoo and let dry, then vacuum couch. Then use Febreze in your favorite scent, then don't let stinky feet on the couch. There is foot powder for stinky feet. (05/23/2009)

By mrs.flowerpot

Removing Body Odor from Furniture

You need to sprinkle a good layer of baking soda over the furniture. Leave it on for about 3 days. If you can't avoid using it, drape it in old sheets. Then vac the baking soda up. Then, if you aren't able to get the stinky back sweat smell off the back attached cushions, tip the sofa or chair back, where it will lay on its back, and repeat the process.

It worked on my son's truck, that had less than pleasant smells. I had to lean the bucket seats all the way back, and treat the backs the same way. (05/24/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Removing Body Odor from Furniture

Use "Out!", it's an enzyme based spray-on pet cleaner-odor remover. The enzymes actually "eat" organic compounds (like sweat, urine, blood, etc). Out! is sold at Walmart for only $4.75 and it has a light vanilla scent (nothing strong), but it will totally get rid of the odor. Just spray it on, then cover the wet area with plastic wrap (so it stays wet). It only works when it's wet. Do this twice, 2 days in a row. No need to rinse unless you want to.

Another idea: You can try hydrogen peroxide. Put it into a well-marked spray bottle. Peroxide will fizz out the odor with oxygen. It also works with only organic stains and odors. This may lighten your fabric. Be sure to check a spot first. No need to rinse. (05/24/2009)

By Cyinda

Removing Body Odor from Furniture

I like Odo-Ban. Great stuff, you can buy big jugs at Sam's Club, but Walmart has smaller spray bottles. Ask for it if you don't see it, they put it in different sections in different stores. You can dilute if needed, check spot before. I used this in flooded basement (no smell after dry, and with incontinent parent ). It was wonderful. I put some on stinky clothes too, before wash and even in rinse. Good luck. (05/24/2009)

By Cairo/Conewango

Removing Body Odor from Furniture

Spray with white vinegar. It will smell like vinegar until it dries. (05/28/2009)

By 1stborn

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureDecember 18, 2012
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Leather Chair
Removing Body Odor from Leather
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 14, 2016 at 9:14:27 AM on 10.0.1.194 in 458 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.