Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Bugs from Your Car

Summer driving can often result in the grill of your car being covered in bugs. Get your car clear of bugs with these helpful tips. This is a guide about removing bugs from your car.

April 19, 2016 Flag

What is an easy way to clean bugs off of a vehicle?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 31, 2011 Flag

How do I remove bugs from the front of a vehicle? I have heard to use kerosene, but am not sure if this will damage the paint.

By Mick

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've heard that a Mr Clean magic eraser sponge works great for removing bugs from cars.

Someone on here not long ago suggested a damp dryer sheet the ones that soften your clothes in the dryer. I tried it and it took off the love bugs that we have here in FL that are so hard to remove and didn't harm my car at all. I hardly had to use any elbow grease!

I fill a spray bottle with baking soda and water and spray the bugs - let sit just a bit then scrub with nylon net. Works good!

Do not use Magic Eraser on your car paint. It will damage the surface as it is an abrasive. Kerocene will not damage your paint, but it is terribly smelly. I wash my car at the car wash where they have a special solution that is used as a presoak. I suspect it is just something like a dishwashing soap, slightly diluted. I would use Dawn.

February 19, 2005 Flag

Tips for removing bugs that are stuck to your car's windshield or paint. Post your ideas.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

According to The Queen of Clean, bugs and tar will come off your car using a small amount of linseed oil. Apply to a rag then to car and rub.

WD40 also works great here in NE Georgia where we have pine trees and lots of sap.

Use a WET dryer sheet like Bounce on the area...works great to get the bugs off.

Fantastic Spray works on bumpers, chrome, hood andwindshield. No scrubbing, no residue.

My husband drives a cab that he has to clean after each ride. He asked me to make up my 'special' glass cleaner because it works better than the products the company had purchased. I mix a few drops of Dawn liquid dishwashing soap with about a tablespoon of ammonia, 1/4 cup of vinegar and water to fill a spray bottle that holds about 32 oz. Shake it before you spray it on. Leave it at least 2 minutes then use a rag to wipe it off. If you have a lot of bugs that have been there awhile, leave the spray on for 5-10 minutes before wiping.

Plain old Vegetable oil; cheap and effective and does not remove your wax!

A roofer was taring a roof nearby on a breezy day resulting with spots on my car. After informing him and apologizing to me he showed me this cleaning trick...A panty hose with white vinegar rubbed on each spot. Works on bugs also. Doesn't scratch either. Than rinse. Been using it since.

For years, we have used Avon Skin-so-soft oil to both remove bugs & as a bug preventative. (Used to live in FL during Love bug season). Remove: Wet a rag with SSS and wipe off bugs. To prevent: Wash your car as usual, then dampen clean rag with SSS & wipe the bumper, hood & anywhere else on your car you get bugs. Not your windshield, even though a very fine one, it still IS oil and might smear the glass making it less clear to view through. We also did this just prior to long highway trips. You still get some bugs on the car but they rinse right off with a hose.

May 29, 2011 Flag

I have a 2011 Camaro, and I hate bugs on it. A friend gave me the cleaning product Fantastik Orange Action to remove bugs. It works great, but will the orange oil mess up the paint?

By Shannon W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Be careful! I was told I shouldn't even use dish detergent on my car. It can mess up the clear coat. Be safe and go to an auto parts store and purchase something made for it

Consumer Advice Cars Cleaning OutsideNovember 24, 2011
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
Finding an Inexpensive Car, Blue Volkswagon Beetle parked by a building.
Finding an Inexpensive Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver, For Sale sign in Window of Used Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 9:29:22 AM on 10.0.2.108 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.