Removing Burnt Smell From Microwave

One of my daughters burnt popcorn in our brand new microwave. I have tried everything to get rid of the burnt smell, but it is still there. Items we cook or defrost in the microwave now seem to have a burnt popcorn taste. It is clean, but I think the smell has gotten into the 'guts' of it and in the fan area where I can't clean.

I have already tried:

cleaning with mild detergent
placing a bowl of fabric softener in it
using baking soda in it over night
using vinegar and water, and running it for a few minutes

April from NW Missouri

Answers:

Removing Burnt Smell From Microwave

Get a clean spray bottle & some enzymatic cleaner (often sold in the pet supplies). Follow the directions on the cleaner bottle, if it's the type that needs to be diluted.
Put the resulting liquid in the spray bottle & spray the inside of your microwave liberally. Allow it to stay on for an hour or so & wipe off. Think about it, if this stuff removes cat urine odors, popcorn is no problem! (02/04/2008)

By Been there-Done that!

Removing Burnt Smell From Microwave

Oh my gosh, I think that I created the first taquito
smoke bomb ever! And the smell was horrendous. I over cooked about six taquitos in the microwave (thanks to the dial deciding to go backwards). I used straight vinegar in a bowl, got it to the boiling point (about 5 minutes), then let it sit. I continued doing that for about an hour or so. The moisture from the boiling vinegar travels through the fan mechanism. The vinegar smell through the house will go way. No smell from microwave. Whewwww! (02/18/2008)

By BPayne

Removing Burnt Smell From Microwave

I must say, I never realized how lethal popcorn can be when it burns. I tried the vinegar, and as I opened my microwave, I felt as though I couldn't breathe because the vinegar was so strong! At the same time, I didn't smell the burn odor. I am rinsing with Fabuloso, which has such a pleasant fragrance. (04/12/2008)

By Denise

Removing Burnt Smell From Microwave

Heat vanilla extract in a bowl in the microwave for approximately 35 seconds. Turn off microwave, and leave door closed for 12 hours. (05/11/2008)

By Mary

Removing Burnt Smell From Microwave
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Burnt Food
Removing Burnt Food Smell from House
Removing Burnt Popcorn Smell and Stains from a Microwave
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
🎉
🎄