Removing Burnt Smell From Microwave

My 5 year old son put a cup of that 3 minute noodle soup in the microwave and didn't add enough water. I have tried everything to get the burnt smell out. My kitchen smells burnt from the odor of the microwave being so strong. Please help.

By Mommy of 9 from Chicago, IL

Answers:

Removing Burnt Smell From Microwave

Put in half a cup of ground coffee in an open cup in the microwave. It worked wonders when a friend of mine's microwaveable heating pad blew up in the microwave. Anyway, just keep the cup of ground coffee in the microwave; you may have to transfer it in and out when you need to use the microwave, but the smell should be gone shortly. (06/26/2009)

By lukensqueak-juggernaut

Removing Burnt Smell From Microwave

As with bad smells in a fridge or freezer, you can use baking soda. Wipe out the microwave with a mix of water and a good measure of baking soda. Then put some water in a micro-safe container, stir in some baking soda, heat the mix at very low % (temp), to avoid overflow, then let it sit for awhile. It worked when I forgot and "warmed" leftovers way too long. Great granny from Alabammy. (06/26/2009)

By LJF

Removing Burnt Smell From Microwave

If none of the above work, try getting activated charcoal (available in the fish department of a pet store or even Wal-Mart) and put it in a bowl and leave it overnight in the microwave. I once used this tip, which is an old Heloise one, to get the smell out of an old dresser that went through a fire. Worked like a charm. If really bad, repeat with new charcoal. (06/26/2009)

By webpossum