Removing Chewing Gum From Carpet

I just found a spot of gum stuck to my carpet. I don' t think it's been there long, but it's pretty stuck. How do I remove it without damaging the carpet? It's a low nap carpet so I don't have much room to cut the gum out. Thanks.

Melissa from AZ

Removing Chewing Gum From Carpet

Long ago my old boyfriend was a TV repairman. He had this can of spray stuff that would freeze TV parts instantly and sprayed it onto the gum. We then hit the frozen gum with a hammer and "presto" it broke into several pieces and no more gum.

Back when our kids were young and got gum in their hair, we'd used anything greasy like peanut butter or Vaseline, to remove it, then shampoo it out. (10/15/2008)

By Cyinda

Removing Chewing Gum From Carpet

We have a rental house and the renters left a gum horror on new carpet after moving out. I used "Citrasolv" (you can find it at natural food stores). It is a citrus based product. It may seem expensive, but it is super concentrated and is a great general cleaner. You'll find lots of uses for it, and it will save the carpet.

I wet a sponge with the "Citrasolv" and put the sponge on top of the mashed in gum. Leave it for about 15 minutes, rub it with a brush then reapply it as needed. I had to do it several times to totally get it out, but you could tell that the gum was breaking down more after each try. I would try some first on a hidden area of the carpet in case it damages the color. I had no change in the color with my carpet and it totally saved the day. (10/15/2008)

By WendeG

Removing Chewing Gum From Carpet

Find someone with one of those hand steam cleaners. They make gum soft enough to scrape up. Be careful with some greasy remover remedies they might stain the carpet. (10/19/2008)

By Cariboo Lady

Removing Chewing Gum From Carpet
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
young boy blowing huge bubble
Removing Gum From Carpet
unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
Uses for Chewing Gum