Removing Chocolate Stains from Clothing

Chocolate can be a stubborn substance to remove from fabric. This guide is about removing chocolate stains from clothing.

If you have a chocolate stain on clothes, try Murphy's Oil Soap. Dab it on the stain and rub. Note of caution, on loose weaves use care and be gentle. Once the stain is gone, rinse with cool water til soap is removed and launder as usual.

Source: My mom

How do I get a hot cocoa stain out of white cotton?

By Bompie

I washed a load of whites on warm with a piece of chocolate in a pocket. It went through both washer and dryer. It is on every item in every size and shape of stain. Any ideas or is it all ruined?

By Joyce

My brother got chocolate shake all over white 100% cotton shorts. I treated them with Shout, it just left a brown stain. Now what do I do?

By Shellie

How can I remove chocolate syrup from a white tee shirt, 100% cotton? The tee shirt has already been washed.

By Anne from Fitzgerald, GA

How do you remove chocolate stains from clothing?

By ellens7 from Rockville, MD

Answers:

Chocolate Stains

I keep a bar of Ivory soap handy and wash out chocolate, blood, red wine stains easily. Use cold water, never hot. Hot will set the stain. You have to use Ivory bar soap, seems like other soaps just set the stain. (07/19/2009)

By MddsonMorg

Chocolate is my enemy in more ways than one. I have a bad habit of eating some chocolate during the night. I then fall asleep, and drool melted chocolate on sheets, pillowcases and nightgowns. Mostly cotton, and always Hershey's. I have tried Shout Extra, Tide, soaking, scrubbing, and lots more. Of course, by the time I can get to the laundromat the chocolate is hard and dry. I scrub the spot with hot water to melt it, then I wash in cold water, treating the stain with laundry soap. No matter what I do, I cannot get the brown stain out. Please help.

Dori Ann from Belvidere, NJ

Answers:

Chocolate Stains

I use dish liquid (any brand) for food stains. But my favorite spot remover is the one that starts with a Z. I want to say Zout, but don't think that is right. Good luck. (03/26/2008)

By Carol in PA

Chocolate Stains

One word for really difficult and rather oily stains: GOOP. It's a waterless hand cleaner like you might find in a garage. It can be found at auto-parts stores, and in some bigger grocery stores in the soap aisle. You just rub some of this into the area and let it sit about 20 minutes. Then wash it as usual. I don't wash anything in hot or warm water. We stopped having a lot of stains. I also took to making my own laundry soap, again way fewer stains. Remember to always check the stain before you put it in the dryer.

(03/26/2008)

By Shosha

Chocolate Stains

This is Dori Ann from Belvidere, NJ. Thanks to all who answered my post. I tried many of your "tricks" and found the best thing to remove not only chocolate stains, but also garden dirt on my new jeans. The winner is Dawn dish soap. I was blown away. From now on that's what I put on any stain. I used the new foam that left a lot of bubbles in the washer, so I just ran it through a double rinse before washing as normal. My best friend is a self-proclaimed slob. Whatever she eats is on her shirt. She has ruined many tops with bleach and a Q-tip. Now she uses Dawn on everything. Too bad Dawn doesn't make a laundry detergent. Thank you everyone. (04/07/2008)

By Dori Ann from Belvidere, NJ

Chocolate Stains

I agree with the dish soap solution. My dish soap is Palmolive, but worked like a charm, even after I had used laundry stain remover, washed the shirt, and dried it (which usually sets any remaining stain for good). (08/06/2008)

By Gina

Chocolate Stains

My 8 year old got chocolate ice cream on some pants of hers and I could not get the stain out even after pretreating it with a stain remover. After reading this I tried my dish soap and it was a miracle. The stains were vanishing right away. I'll always resort to the dish soap from now on. I used the Clorox Green Works dish soap since I didn't have Dawn. This worked great. (02/14/2009)

By Ruth

Chocolate Stains

I am an American that lives in Belgium, and I used Belgian non-brand dishwashing liquid, and it came right out. So you can use any kind of dish washing liquid. (02/15/2009)

By JonasvanDijk

Chocolate Stains

Add me to the people who had success removing chocolate stains from white clothing by using dishwashing liquid. I used 7th Generation "eco-friendly" liquid and it worked just as well as the brands mentioned by others. I got the chocolate stains on my white capri pants the first time I wore them. I was so afraid the pants would be ruined after only one wearing. But the stains came right out. So many thanks for a great tip. (02/22/2009)

By Martha L. from OR

I have set-in chocolate stain on my clothes. I don't know how the chocolate candies got in the washer or dryer, but I found the stain after I had dried my clothes. There are stains in several shirts and sweatpants that are all brand new.

Jade from Ventura, CA

Answers:

Set-in Chocolate Stains on Clothes

I got a Pink brand white tee with green lettering from Victoria's Secret for Christmas and I split hot coco on it and the Dawn worked! I let the shirt soak in cold water for about ten minutes then put dawn on my fingers and rubbed it in and the stain was disappearing. Then i put it in the wash with cold water and regular detergent and the stain came out! (12/23/2007)

By Courtney

Set-in Chocolate Stains on Clothes

Thanks so very much, Courtney, for your response to my question. What a great Christmas gift to get the answer to my question.

Merry Christmas and a very happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year to you, Courtney, and to everyone out there!

Sincerely, (12/26/2007)

By JPW63

I have medium green color cotton slacks that have a chocolate stain on them. What is the best way to get it out? The cleaner I tried didn't do it. Thanks,

Carol from Boynton Beach, Florida

Answers:

Chocolate Stains on Clothing

Definitely use the DAWN. I just found a black shirt that I had washed and dried that had grease stains on it. I washed it again after spot treating with DAWN and it looks great! Always try DAWN on any type of food or oil spot. (08/25/2005)

By Ann

Chocolate Stains on Clothing

I got some chocolate on a pair of shorts. I put hot water in the sink with some detergent and about 1/2 cup of bleach. Took the stain right out.... (04/28/2007)

By Bette.

Chocolate Stains on Clothing

I just tried the "heavy cream" thing for taking out a stain of chocolate sauce on a brand new shirt of my daughter's-I only tried it because i didn't have any Dawn but for some strange reason i have heavy cream- and it worked!!! I really can't believe it--thank you so much for the tip!!! (05/03/2007)

By Staci

Chocolate Stains on Clothing

I had a pair of WHITE pants that I spelt a chocolate milkshake on. I used both the Dawn and heavy cream and it worked great. If the stain seems to spread out as you use the heavy cream add a little to the water in the washer. (05/30/2007)

By Amy

Chocolate Stains on Clothing

My daughter spilled chocolate syrup on a hand embroidery beaded shirt from India. I had not be able to attend to this chore for a week. So doing it a week later I seemed discouraged of the possibility of removing this stain. Rubbing the material vigorously to get rid of the stain was impossible as that would compromise the beads and the embroidery. So I used Shout stain remover wipe. It worked like a charm. I always carry a box in my car as well as keep one at home. I highly recommend it. (07/01/2007)

By Geeta

Chocolate Stains on Clothing

Use white vinegar then soak in the sun for a few hours then repeat the STAIN DISAPPEARS (07/20/2007)

I spilled the kind of chocolate that hardens onto my favorite pants. The chocolate came out but some kind of oily(?) residue has remained.