Removing Cigarette Odors from Microfiber Furniture

Category Odors
Cigarette in Ashtray
Cigarette odors seem to permeate everything in a home especially upholstered furniture and curtains. This is a guide about removing cigarette odors from microfiber furniture.

We just got a microfiber couch from a friend and cannot get the cigarette odor out. What can we use to get rid of the smell? It's gagging me. I can't even walk by it without wanting to get sick. What can I use?

By Tina B from NY

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Try using equal parts white vinegar and tap water in a spray bottle. Spray the couch lightly, but completely and let it set until it is completely dry. At bedtime is a good time to do the spraying or when no one will be home for a while. It may take a couple more applications to completely get it. Be sure no one sits on it after the spray until it is completely dry. The vinegar smell will dissipate when it is dry and should leave the couch smelling fresh. It might be good to also fill a small jar or bowl that will fit under the couch and leave it there for a few days.

My son lived with smokers while in college. He brought his stuff home, and I didn't even want it in the house. I read somewhere on-line that spraying with baking soda/water mixture then spraying over the top with white vinegar would take the smell out. It did! I sprayed everything, and the smell was gone. For the baking soda/water mix, I just put 2 Tbsp. of baking soda into a spray bottle, filled it with water, shook it, and sprayed.

Spraying a microfibre sofa with water/vinegar can get it too wet and leave stains. A 50/50 solution of water and rubbing alcohol will work better

Does this Actually Work, I have a Recliner and I'm About to Throw it Away b cuz of the Cigarette Smell

I have a beige microfiber couch that smells like cigarette smoke. How can I get the odor out?

By Miserable With Smoke from New Port Richey, FL

Answers

Rent an Ozone machine. They work wonders! Leave the house or shut the room off while the machine is running because the ozone machine can remove oxygen from the room.

Febreeze won't work except on the outside covers. The Ozone machine will get all the way into the cushions & upholstery!

Where can you rent an ozone machine