Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

The odor from cigarette smoke is strong, pervasive, and often difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing cigarette smoke odors.

Filter Sort

Question: My House Smells Like Cigarette Smoke

By Pamela 3 33

My husband smokes cigarettes in the bedroom, but the whole house smells like an ashtray. I've tried to get him to smoke outside but to no avail. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the "ashtray" smell in my house? Thanks.

By Pamela

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Betty 104 753 Flag

I've never lived with a smoker and won't let anyone smoke in my home or in my car. That said, I'd beg, plead and cry if I had to in order to try to get him to smoke outside. I have a couple friends who smoke and they are very considerate. My sister whom I haven't seen in years burned a hole in my living room carpet and one in my car. I know this doesn't answer your question which I don't have an answer for but if it bothers you as much as it seems to I'd probably get away from him every time he lights up by going outside. Maybe he'd see how much it bothers you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Rid of Cigarette Odors Inside

I use to smoke in my house and company did as well. I have cleaned all my walls, curtains, and carpets, and I still smell cigarette smoke. I use wall deodorant plugs, and wall sprays and candles. I also got a crock pot and put hot water and potpourri oils in it. I still smell it, but no really heavy smell. My house smells.

By Bobbie A from Jeffersonville, IN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By Jean 2 145 Flag

April 5, 2012Best Answer, 1 found this helpful

Have you cleaned your furniture? Upholstered furniture and mattresses will hold on to that smoke smell. Even wooden furniture (be sure to clean the sides, not just the top) and cabinets need to be cleaned well to remove the tar and nicotine residue. You might not be able to see it, but it's there.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cajun 59 327 Flag

April 5, 2012Best Answer

Place some pans of heated vinegar around the house for a few days. You can also place pans of charcoal (activated, if available). The vinegar smell will linger, but is very short lived. The smoke odor in fabrics might be reduced by spraying with Febreze?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By April 187 452 Flag

April 8, 2012Best Answer

Everything will need to be cleaned; smoking gets residue even inside your lights, TV, and other appliances. Clean your furniture, pillows I would toss and replace. Have you also wiped down mirrors pictures, and glass? Change your vacuum bag and air filters for your a/c and heat. It will be in your blankets, clothing, luggage, towels - everything.

It may take several years for it to totally go away. A friend of mine had her home professionally cleaned by a special smoke removal company after she quit smoking, and on damp days the smell still came out 2 years later.

Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Minimizing Cigarette Smoke and Odors

By Shonda 6 11

I need to know how to get rid of cigarette smoke in my house. My husband smokes. I have used all kinds of spray. Burned candles, still I can smell the smoke. What can I use? I have a small poodle, so I would need something that wouldn't hurt my dog.

Shonda from Grand Rivers, KY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Steve Haven 1 Flag

Fill a spray bottle 3/4 full with cold water. Pour in 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar. Every time your husband lights up, spray him down with this solution.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Cigarette Odor from a Room

I have a room attached to my garage that is sheetrocked and insulated, but is not painted or primed. My renters smoke very heavily in this room and now that room and the garage smells. When they took down the pictures that they had hanging up there is a brown tint around where the picture was hanging.

We have had the windows open but this does not help. What is the best way to get the smell out. Also, is priming it now just going to make the smell stick into the walls.

Please help with any ideas!

By Sue

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Annie Rios Hill 14 1,776 Flag

There is a tried and true product easily found at Lowe's, Home Depot etc. It is called TSP my friend smoked like a fiend and never would open windows to air out! When she would move we would go tet TSP and scrub the walls with it, I helped just to see the clean walls.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor on House Walls

My house smells of cigarette smoke, thanks to the people who lived in it before me. I was told to bleach the walls to get out the smell, but was wondering if there were any other ways to get out that nasty smell. Thanks.

By Deborah A

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sunj 4 Flag

I used Murphy's Oil Soap to clean my walls for the same reason. It worked well. Good Luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Smoke Smell from Duplex

By Anya 3 1

We are moving into a lower level duplex, the upstairs tenants are heavy smokers and moved out from the lower level a few days ago. I will deep clean the carpets and walls to get the smell out of the lower level, but am concerned about the continuing tobacco smoke from above, or the air ducts.

I am not sure how to clean. Will my cleaning will be null and void because of the continuous smoking from up above?

Anya from MN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By katherine 2 Flag

white vinegar white vinegar baking soda baking soda i'm a smoker

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cigarette Smoke Odors in a Refrigerator

By Gretchen 1

I acquired a relatively new refrigerator from a house where someone smoked. The refrigerator has the smell of stale smoke inside. How do I get rid of this odor?

Gretchen from Cincinnati, OH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By yolanda 2 Flag

Have tried all of the above and now have a combo odor of vinegar and smoke. My grandson thought it was awful! I'm thinking the smoke odor must be coming from within the frig; I'm about ready to just give it away. Lesson learned; never purchase any appliance from a smoking family!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cigarette Smell on a Raincoat

By Jocelyn Scalzott 1

I was given a raincoat which is a plastic material on the outside and a silky fabric on the inside. The previous owner was a cigarette smoker, and the coat stinks like cigarette smoke. The coat cannot be placed in the washer. I have hung it outside to air for over a week, placed it in the bathtub with Dawn dish soap and cleaned it with a rag, and I have sprayed it with Febreeze. All to no avail. Does anyone have a secret to getting this horrible smell out of the coat so that it can be saved?

By Joce141 from Pittsburgh, PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Shirley 1 29 Flag

You can put it in the washer just put on gentle cycle and hang on a hanger some where in the house or outside until dried

I wash my vinyl table cloths that way and my tennis shoes just do not throw into dryer

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Smoking Neighbor

Is there some legal action I can take about the smoke getting in my apartment from my neighbor downstairs? We are getting sick as if we ourselves smoked. I have a 9 years old affected by the contaminated air too. What can I do to make the air cleaner?

By Marina R

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

I would certainly complain to the manager, even if it is not a smoke free building. Also, you should check your state or province laws, as there may be regulations against smoking. There are so few places that people can smoke nowadays, and most of the smokers I know DON'T smoke in their own homes! If the manager will do nothing, and there is no other recourse, make arrangements to move out. If you threaten to leave (and, of course, mean it) the manager may rethink his position of doing nothing.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keeping Cigarettes Smells Out of My Bedroom?

I have asthma really bad and get headaches when I smell cigarette smoke coming into my bedroom, even with my bedroom door closed. The AC/heat vents are blocked. I have used candles, and spray alot of air fresheners. Nothing is working. I have an air cleaner and that's not helping either? What can I used that might help keep the smells away from my room?

By Jonathan J R from Philadelphia PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,354 Flag

If the cigarette smoke is coming into your room from smokers in other parts of your home, there is really not much you can do. It is impossible to completely prevent smoke from entering your room 24/7; a fan, filter and stuffing towels around the door might help some. Unfortunately, you are exposed to smoke when you leave your room so you essentially have exposure to cigarette smoke all the time.

Aside from the actual smoke itself, you are also exposed to second and third hand cigarette smoke problems-smoke particles and gases in the air that you inhale as you walk through and exposure to smoke residual matter that is in the air and then lands on furniture, carpets, etc., such as nicotine, chemicals added to the cigarette etc. The particulate matter is then blown into the air again when one sits on a couch, vacuums (no vacuum cleaner filters the air completely), dusts furniture, etc.

(Mayo Clinic-http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l ... nswers/third-hand-smoke/faq-20057791).

Candles and air fresheners do not help very much. Candles produce their own smoke and perfume in the air and air fresheners contain ingredients that bind some smells chemically (and temporarily) and also have perfume to scent the air. So you may be exposing yourself to other problem products in addition to cigarette smoke.

You can try simple and cheap to very expensive face masks that filter the air to various degrees. Obviously, the best plan would be to move to a better situation, if you can.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Cigarette Smoke from a Home

I just bought my new mobile (double-wide) home. New to me, but owned by a smoker. When I first viewed the home I did not smell smoke at all and I am a real shark for smoke smell (I hate it). I viewed the home 2xs in 2 weeks. No odor. My offer is accepted and I return for home inspection - smoke! I ask. Told it was the AC - deceased husband smoked just under the built-in AC. Hmmmm....OK. Returned for a gab and buy/sell with owner (real nice woman) barely a whiff. OK. Walk-thru gets put smack up to closing and at walk-thru I could hardly breath. I opened all windows for 2 days - still stinks to high heaven!

Question - and thanks for excellent tips here - I could never wash walls by hand (disabled) so I wondered if I might use a thick painting roller and roll the residue off? Even the ceilings could be done this way. I couldn't do that, friends will help, but I could roll the walls. What do you think of this as a method? Seeing as how I wasn't able to smell anything at viewings (I'm sure her realtor put the fear of god into her that buyers would flee if she didn't smoke outside, but once she had a P & S Agreement she slipped back and by move out time it was packs and packs galore). I'm hoping a wash with water and vinegar or TSP (but don't you have to also rinse TSP?). I sure could not do the cleaning 2xs) prior to KILZ primer and paint will do the job. I will also, of course, wash all shelves, cupboards, etc. What do you think? And sorry for the long (...)s, I know they make the reading harder. Bad habit. Thanks.

By Sue B

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Diana Sue M. 5 17 Flag

I heard cut a green apple in half and lay around,, not too long -per fruit flies. Google this to get proper instructions.. Ciao!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell from House

My grandbaby is visiting soon and I have been doing everything I know to rid the house of cigarette smoke. I have gotten the carpets cleaned. I am also washing draperies and steaming my tile floors. But I still can smell a stale odor even though I haven't smoked in the house in over a year. I'm thinking the walls and my plastic blinds are holding the odor. I heard vinegar and water may work, but I'm afraid the strong smell of vinegar will run everybody out of the house. Suggestions?

By Molly

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By PENNY K 14 564 Flag

White vinegar is a great deodorant if allowed to dry completely, mix with water, not full strength.

But I would use dawn [blue] and a tablespoon of bleach in a bucket of water. Cigarette smoke contains tar, which is sticky so that's for the Dawn, and bleach will deodorize. The walls need that treatment and it will help. Much of the smell will be gone in few hours. Don't overdo the bleach.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Cigarette Odor in House

How do you get rid of cigarette smell in your home?

By Linda

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By wendy 3 4 Flag

I also use bread and vinegar. I put a piece of bread on a small plate and saturate it with vinegar, then set it out in the rooms. Seems to work.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

By gbk 45 368

I have been given a brand new wheelchair (electric) which I needed badly, but the lady who had it smoked a lot and it smells of strong cigarette smoke. Anyone have a good suggestion on how to remove the scent from the chair? I have tried Murphy's oil soap, Lysol, Febreze and setting it out in the sun all day.
The chair is regular wheelchair material. Thank you.

By knettles from GA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Mary 5 51 Flag

If she was a heavy smoker, the smoke has gotten into the mechanism also. I would use baking soda (dry) sprinkle it everywhere, then vacuum in an hour. Coat it again with the baking soda and just leave it to wear off naturally. You can also try the carpet deodorizers for pets and smoke. I get mine at the local dollar store.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cigarette Smoke on Plastic

Could you help me get cigarette smoke out of a plastic covering on a used baby changing table?

Thanks,
Janine

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sarah Leach 10 150 Flag

Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with about a cup of white distilled vinegar and then dilute with another cup of water. Put this in a spray bottle and use like febreeze.. works better and great for cig smoke.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Cigarette Smell from Microfiber Sofa

By Karen Sta 1

My sister-in-law gave us a microfiber couch. It's in great shape except they are smokers. Is there anything that will get this cigarette smell out of it?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Myrna 17 1,083 Flag

You can use 1 part white vinegar diluted in 2 parts water and keep wiping it over the sofa making sure not to soak it. It will take a lot of swipes before odor has diminished. Let dry and repeat. You'll see the cloth and water turning color; keep it changed while doing this. You may not get ALL of it lifted, but a majority will certainly help. If the armrests have zip off coverings, you can launder those and let air dry. Sitting it outdoors out of sunlight would probably help some while cleaning the fabric as it will dry faster and sofa can air out. That's the least expensive way to deal with this, but a carpet/furniture cleaner could probably do more for the sofa quicker. I'd probably contact a pro after I've done all I could to hopefully have remaining odor lifted.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cigarette Odor Coming from Heater Vents

I live in an apartment in a non-smoking building, but my upstairs neighbors were smoking like chimneys. The landlord told them they had to stop and only smoke outside. Though they are no longer smoking indoors, the cigarette smell is still coming out of my heating vents. Is there any way to get rid of this? I hate the smell and it wreaks havoc on my sinuses.

By Maggie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie 11 1,697 Flag

About the only way to get rid of the odour is to have a professional company clean the ductwork. Perhaps the landlord can charge the upstairs tenant for the cost of having their mess cleaned up!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Smoke Odor Out of Clothes

My mom is a smoker. I'm 13. I have been asking her to stop smoking around me because she won't wash all of my clothes in my room even though they smell like smoke because of her. People at school tell me I smell like smoke and I don't like it. How do I get the smell of smoke out of my clothes and room?

By Nonyabeeswax

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Allysa D. W. 1 Flag

One way to help reduce the smoke in your room is honestly to make sure your door is always closed. Keep all your clothes in your room and not around the house or it will pick up the smoke scent. Sitting on fabric or leather furniture also picks up the smell so before you go to school maybe limit the amount of time on these things to reduce the smell of smoke. Also cleaning your room with baking powder deodorizer will help with the smell. Something like arm and hammer carpet cleaner powder or simple baking soda. My mother would smoke all the time in the house and these are things I starting doing.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Minimize Smoke Odor From Ashtrays

To help eliminate smoke odors from ashtrays while in use, pour some baking soda in them. This also helps for easy clean up.

By Lisa S.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning a Fiber Optic Poinsettia Tree

sitting on a tableI have a fiber optic poinsettia tree. How would you clean this tree? It comes from a smoker's home. Does anyone know how to clean the tree?

By Pam

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell from Fabric Headboard

I just purchased a fabric headboard and frame. It looks perfect and I got it for a great price, but, when I got it home I realized just how it reeked of cigarette smoke! I sprayed diluted white vinegar a few times and that didn't help. I also put out bowls of activated charcoal, but that didn't help either. Then yesterday I had it professionally cleaned and the smell seemed gone, but then once it dried the smell is back. Can I get rid of it, or should I just cut my losses and sell it?

By Beard

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Cigarette Odor in a Room

By donaldonohoe11 1

How do I get rid of smoke smell in a room? Does brown vinegar work as well as white?

By Donal

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Cigarette Odor

The renters moved out of my 1100 sq foot office. It stinks really badly. I must clean up before trying to rent. What can I do?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Cigarette Smoke from Ivory Pipe

How do I remove cigarette smoke from an ivory pipe?

By John from Salt Lake City, UT

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Popup Camper

What is the best way to clean the inside canvas of a popup camper that we bought from chain smokers?

By Dianne E

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

I am cleaning a home for someone who is allergic to cigarette smoke and the house just reeks of it. Any suggestions on how to get it out of the carpet and off the walls?

Jenny from Anamosa, IA

Answers:

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

A rug cleaner should help your carpets. I used orange cleaner on my walls. A little vinager in a dish in each room will help take the odor out of the house once the carpets and wall are done. (02/21/2006)

By ANNE

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

We moved into a house that had been closed up for 6 months and the previous resident was a serious smoker. It was horrible! I cleaned the bedroom carpets, but in the living room I only used a bottle (the whole bottle) of Febreeze and it worked well.

For the walls and ceilings I used vinegar and water. I used a sponge mop to apply it. I also cleaned the windows and other places with vinegar Windex. There was a lot of yellow nicotine buildup on the smooth surfaces and when I finished my vinyl windows looked white again!

Oh, we also moved in June so we were able to leave plenty of windows open with fans on to bring in the fresh air.

Good Luck! (02/21/2006)

By Lilygloves

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

I agree that Febreeze is not the answer for this problem. I am also allergic to Cigarette Smoke, but I am also sensitive to Febreeze. When I sprayed a chair with it that was reeking of cigarette smoke, the Febreeze scent actually was worse for my asthma than the smoke smell. I had to move the chair to the garage unitl it stopped reaking of Febreeze. After that, the smoke smell was reduced, but still there. I just left the chair outside to "air". (02/21/2006)

By Jess

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

It has been my experience that painting, staining or polyurethaning anything in the room helps. Vinegar and baking soda mixed with warm water is a good wash for any type of wall, paneling, or wallpapered surface. The carpet will be harder and I would hire a professional carpet cleaner. Sam's Wholesale Club sells a cleaner and deoderizer called Odoban that works GREAT for any kind of odor. Good luck! (02/22/2006)

By suzi_homemaker01

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

Ten years ago we bought a used couch from an older couple who were moving to Arizona. We went to their home to see it and decided to buy it. We didn't realize until we got the couch to our house that they smoked. It smelled really awful. I cleaned it (saturated it) with my carpet cleaner about eight times and finally got the smoke smell out. Getting rid of smoke is really tough. A professional company may be the best way to go. (02/23/2006)

By Jan

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

Febreeze is absolute garbage. I am so stuffed up right now from a mattress I bought that had febreeze used on it that I can hardly breathe. The stuff is aerosol cancer. (03/07/2006)

By Stuffy

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

I just purchased a home and have the same problem. The previous owner was a heavy smoker. The house smells horrible! I had the seller have the carpets professionally cleaned and I am having the ceilings and walls in the whole house painted and am using an ionizer. The ionizer really does help but leaves a temporary stange 'ozone' odor in the house in place of the smoke that dissapates after a while. The smoke smell keeps persisiting but not quite as strong. I'm going to try the vinegar and baking soda trick as well. If that doesnt work I may have the house "bombed" or hire an arsonist... just kidding. Good luck to everyone! (09/02/2006)

By Elizabeth

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

This works very well on carpets: depending on how large your carpeted area is, buy several tubs of bicarb of soda (my lounge is quite large) so around 6 tubs, then into each tub put around 10 drops of pure essential oil, I prefer lavender but you can use your own preference, replace the lid and shake up, leave overnight to absorb the oil. Then sprinkle the tubs onto carpet, a fine sprinkling all over will do, leave on floor for around 4 hours then simply hoover up. The bicarb will remove the odour and leave a lovely fragrance behind. For walls i reccomend washing down with vinegar. I have cleaned properties with this method, and use same at home, and it WORKS. (09/27/2006)

By Sonia

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

We are a physician family. Let me share with you an experience we had with a house that a Smoker lived in, which we purchased. A complete disaster and 2 yrs of preparing for trial, as the fraud was so blatant in concealing that the owner was a smoker, we had no choice but to file a lawsuit and pleased to report, we won. Our family was awarded all of the damages it took us to remidate the house of cigarette smoke. Buyers beware if you go to see a house for sale if there are numerous scented candles in the house, or open windows. Experts across the country all agreed that the first warning sign of a Seller's attempt to mask odors, is lighted scented candles. Sadly, we were unaware of this type of concealment.

Our realtor let the Seller know that I was coming to look at her house and that I had a "hypersensitivity to cigarette smoke." It is not an allergy, as some people perceive. There are no allergy tests available for the simple fact that it is not an allergy but a "hypersensitivity" to cigarette smoke. The Seller concealed the odors by numerous scented lighted candles in the house the morning we looked at it, which blocked the nerve endings in my nose to be able to detect that she was a smoker.

The Seller also intentionally frauded me when I personally asked her on 3 occasions before closing if she was a Smoker, for which she denied smoking each time. We learned later that it was her intent to conceal to us and mask the fact that she smoked in her hope for a quick sale. We took her word for it that she did not smoke, plus when seeing the house, the odors were masked. We lived 7 hours away and did not return to see the house again for we, and our Realtor were convinced that she was telling us the truth, that she was a non-smoker and had never smoked in the house.

We bought the house, she left, moved out, took all of her belongs, the lighted scented candles were gone. When we arrive to take possession of the house, it reeked with the residue of her 1 pack per day smoking. During Trial she lied and said she told me she smoked one pack a day for several years. She also lied and told the Court that she told my Realtor she smoked and blamed it on him for not telling me she was a Smoker.

So obvous was the odor that we could not move our furniture in and spent the next 3 weeks gutting the house, trying to rid the house of the smoke odor to no avail. My body responded with tingling on my face, lips, swelling of my tongue then throat. In 3 weeks I developed lung pain, then infection and was forced to leave this house, buy another one and begin the process of trying to decontaminate the house. Two years later and 25,000, we managed to clean the house from the odor. We loved the neighborhood, and we determined that with our investment to remove the smoke, if we ever sold the home, we would recoup our loss as home values in this neighborhood increase.

Vinegar has little affect. Only commercial sealing products painted over all surfaces will seal a portion of the odor. Yes, it is very important to wash all the surfaces first, before painting. We learned from the Experts that cigarette smoke nicotine is also a waxy substance and that surfaces must be washed with a product such as 409 to dissolve the substance. However, we then learned that 409 does not reach the gases of the smoke that saturated the drywall and insulation! We also learned that vacuuming the ductwork in the home has no affect. Paying a duct cleaning company to remove cigarette smoke from ductwork will have zero affect. The ductwork must all be removed and washed with a 409 product to clean the residue from the ductwork. We discovered that the price of removing all the ductwork to clean it and put it back would cost the same as replacing all the ductwork so that is the route we took.

It also penetrates the coils of air conditioning units and furnaces, so when those units are turned on, the house fills again with the smoke particles, gases and chemicals so we were forced to put in a new air conditioning system and furnace. Air filters will not work either, no matter what the air filter companies claim. It destroy carpets, going deep into the fibers and pads, it also finds its way into oak wood floors, which we had to professionally seal also. The waxy substance in the nicotine itself clings to everything. The gases of the cigarette smoke travels through air cleaners. The smoke bleeds through dry wall and penetrates the dry wall and insulation, saturating both. Depending on the weather outside, for instance if it is a hot day, the heat in the atmosphere outside of the home, heating the roof and the exterior of your home, will actually cause the gases of the cigarette smoke inside the drywall and insulation to push through the Kilz and the paint. Water based paint is more porus so if you are using a Kilz product along with painting, oil base acts as more of a sealant, although not 100%.

Depending on your own body's hypersensitivity, sealing the interior of the home completly with an oil base Kilz and then paint, may be enough for your body to adjust, however, if you are like me and you are highly hypersensitive, expect to still have a reaction at times, depending on the weather. I learned that a vinyl wall paper, or many quality wall papers will block the gases from escaping more effectively than painting. However, over time, depending on the saturation of the house, how heavy the cigarette smoke was in the house, the gases will eventually push through the papers and of course the ceiling.

Over time, often many years, the gases in the cigarette smoke that penetrated the walls and drywall will become less potent, however, depending on the amount of saturation it could take years. In our state if a Seller lies to a Buyer and denies they are a smoker when asked, it is considered fraud. We are working with legislature to make it law to add this question to all Seller's Disclosures, however, as politics go, this may take some time. Thankfully on our side was the law that if we asked the question and the Seller lied to us, we could sue.

We also learned too late that the numerous lighted scented candles in the house that morning when we looked at the house should have been a major red flag. The Seller was anxious to sell, she was told by my Realtor before I saw the house that I was hypersensitive to cigarette smoke and we learned that she immediately went to work to mask it so I could not detect it. A tragic lesson learned. If ever I buy a home again and I see a number of candles lit inside, I will view it as a reason for concern, will leave and ask that the candles all be removed from the home, then return. Experts told us had I done that, and gone back, with all the candles out of the house, we would have been able to tell it was a "smoke house"

The Seller is now threatening Bankruptcy so we can't collect on our lawsuit, however, we still feel a sense of closure and justification that we did not let this go. The attempt to mask and fraud us was so intentional, we had no other choice to sue this individual and thankfully we won the lawsuit. If any one you reading this post has a hypersensitivity to cigarette smoke, insist that when you look at a home to buy that all lighted candles be removed from the house, and drop by unannounced to "look at the house again." We lived 7 hours away and this was not possible for us to do so we relied solely on the Buyer's statements to us that she was not a smoker and had never smoked in the house.

I made the mistake of believing this individual. Call it naive if you will, I certainly expected honesty when I asked her direct on 3 separate occasions if she smoked. I also went into great detail with her how my body would respond if I came into contact with cigarette smoke and she still had the nerve to lie to me, and convince me she never smoked inside the house. The Seller went to great lengths to mask the fact as well. We are pleased that we won our lawsuit and have learned a very painful, and costly lesson. (02/27/2007)

By MDCDO

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

I learned from the PROs... We had a fire in our house & believe me, I cannot even describe to you the awful smell that is left in the home after a fire! There are many things I learned from the PROs... Pros, who are paid to come to your home by your insurance company to get rid of the smell of smoke. They do it, & they do it quick with an ozone machine & Coke-a-Cola.

Ours was a home fire, not cigarette smoke, but believe me it was much worse than cigarette smoke!

• Rent a LARGE ozone machine.... They brought in an industrial ozone machine & ALL of the smoke smell was gone within 2 days! You are supposed to leave the house when it's running, but, I just stayed in a room as far away from it as I could with the door shut. You will need to move the ozone machine from room to room. Believe me when I say they work MIRACLES & you may need to do nothing else, this machine really does the trick! You can either rent them by the day at a rental company or look under "Fire & Flood" in the yellow pages, & call the pros & ask them where they rent them from or if you can rent one for 2 days from them. (You may need only 1 day for cig smoke)

• The second thing I learned from the Pros was how to remove smoke from clothes & fabrics. COKE-A-COLA.
      Yes, I said Coke!

DIRECTIONS: Put 1 can of Coke (not Pepsi, & not sugarless, just regular coke-a-cola) in the washing machine with each load you wash & just add your detergent. I couldn't believe it, but it works GREAT! No more smell! None at all!

• To Remove smoke from walls: Sorry to say, the only way to remove the nicotine from walls is to PRIME & paint them.... Do NOT just paint them, as the nicotine will keep leaching through the walls! (I've had this experience!) Buy a good SHELLAC BASED PRIMER like "Zinsser B-I-N" (These shellac primers are alcohol based & are made for schools & hospitals where the smell & allergens need to be minimal) The smell from the primer will be gone within 2 days. Follow with Paint & use the best brand you can buy & do not use flat paint, use satin, eggshell, or semi-gloss.

• When the weather gets nice, leave the windows open as much as you can. If you can't air it out by taking it outside, (like a huge couch or rug) use Febreze' or another odor neutralizer. But we didn't have a choice, we had to throw out some of our upholstered furniture. But most was okay after the OZONE treatment! I can't say enough about the Ozone Machine! It worked MIRACLES! Amazing, Amazing machine!

• You will need to rip out & get rid of the carpets. I don't think they can be saved. Before ripping them out, you can try washing them with an industrial machine & a product that "eats" organic smells & stains like "OUT!" or another "industrial odor remover with enzymes"... These products work by actually "eating" the organic molecules from pet urine. They MAY work for nicotine too. It's worth a try, but I doubt even they will work because the nicotine is way down in the rug-pads! Any small carpets can be washed with Coke-a-Cola & laundry detergent.

• They had to dryclean our drapes, But I wish I would have just thrown them out, as it cost a fortune!
    Hope this helps, I've had experience with both nicotine infested trailers & house fire smoke & this is what worked for me. If you have any questions ask the Pros. Look up "Fire Damage or Smoke Damage" in the yellow pages. They'll know the answers!

BUYER BEWARE:

We got ripped off when buying our place too: They left it a disgusting DIRTY mess! We had to throw out the oven it was so bad. PLUS they left a BUNCH of junk in the garage including an old fridge & a huge heavy, old metal desk from the 50's. No wonder the Realtor refused to let us see the place the day we signed the papers even though our Title Company insisted.

(We were afraid to sue them when we found fist marks in every one of the aluminum doors... The guy obviously had an anger problem & we didn't want trouble!) (02/27/2007)

By Cyinda

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

Please urge people that using a product like Febreeze to "cure" a place of odor is simply masking the odor, much like the scented candles the doctor was referring to their article. A natural way to get rid of ambient odors is to put dishes of white vinegar around the house till the smells dissipate. You will have to change the vinegar every few days. There are no "easy" answers to removing odors. It simply takes a lot of work, both in cleaning and replcaement. I just purchased a condo in Seattle, and the place was hazy with cigarrette smoke every time I've seen it. I know I have a task of washing with TSP on every single surface that can tolerate it. Those that cannot, I am going to use an ammonia/vinegar solution to solve this problem. I also have an ionizer I will turn on when I am not in the unit (as I have a severe reaction to the ozone created). After cleaning (i)every(/i) surface (including the ceiling), I am going to prime with Kilz primer, and then paint over that. I am ripping out the carpets (as they are not only smoky but disgusting), and looking forward to scrubbing the subfloor, then laying down laminate floor.

The only place I am scared of is the grout in the kitchen and bathroom. I suspect the grout will need to be cleaned with muriatic acid, then sealed in order to make it not "leak" smoke whenever I decide to turn on the shower or scrub the floors.

Another note: Since I have sensitivities to chemical cleaners, and I feel they are bad for the planet, anyway, I try to stick with natural cleaners. My "409" is a 50/50 combo of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. I use a non-toxic scrubbing cleanser like Bon Ami instead of Comet, and I use an eco-safe toilet bowl cleaner which is scented with actual pine oil. Please consider the impact you make on the air, water, land, and fellow humans and animals when you buy cheap chemical cleaners at the Mega-Mart! (02/28/2007)

By Mel

Archive: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

What can I do to get cigarette smell out of my house?

Pat from NC

Answers:

White Vinegar

Set bowls of white vinegar around in your home. It will absorb the odor and is a frugal way to deodorize your home. You can also use Apple Cider Vinegar too. I have it sitting around since I have pets and nobody can smell anything. Just be sure to change them out every few days,I change mine out every 3 days, but that is just me. It is a frugal costing room Odor Eliminator. (05/09/2007)

By grammaoftwo

Febreeze

Walmart has a generic febreeze that works well. (05/09/2007)

By hagathna

Killz

If it's in the walls, the smells can be hard to get out. I would cleanse really well and then place a treatment or paint on the walls that is made to keep out smell, I think I saw one called Killz? For pet odors? I would check with your local hardware store and they would probably be able to help you out. No amount of "stinky spray" as we call it here, for those stinky moments, will get out something like smoke. The tar leaves marks all over your walls, especially in a bathroom, when the walls get moisture on them you'll see brownish orange spots on the wall, from the tar, ewwwww.

Good luck! (05/10/2007)

By michawnpita

Vinegar

Wash the walls and what you can, with water/vinegar mix. Mist spray water over what you can and cover the rest with baking soda. it absorbs the odor. May have to do it a second time. As for wood furniture, wipe well a few times with straight vinegar, sprinkle baking soda on it and "scrub" it. Sorry, I am allergic to cigarette smoke and it is such a vile habit..why people smoke is beyond me! (05/13/2007)

By eyelovecats

Vamoose

We had a rental home that the tenants smoked in for several years. When they moved out we tried everything to get rid of the smell but couldn't. We looked on the internet and tried several of the remedies but to no avail. Our next step was to replace carpets, paint walls, or rent it to another smoker. Before we did that we decided to try a product called vamoose 1808t and were actually very surprised that it did remove the cigarette odors. We highly recommend you try the vamoose product to get rid of cigarette odors. (05/14/2007)

By 1ShellyP

OxyClean

I actually experienced this when I moved into a rented house that was sealed like a drum and a smoker lived there. I washed the walls, woodwork and ceilings with buckets of oxyclean. It not only made the water turn a nasty rusty color but, it also got the odor out, I shampooed the carpets as well, the mini blinds were soaked in the tub with oxyclean and the landlord thought I bought new blinds. It's a lot of work but, in the long run it's cheaper. (06/16/2007)

By trishab002

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

I wish I would have seen these stories before I purchased my house in May. The nicotine on the woodwork and cabinets is horrific. I have removed the cabinet doors and washed them in the laundry tub with TSP and hot water. I plan on painting them so it is not a problem; however, now I fear what is lurking in the duct work and what expense this might entail. This is just more of a "project" than what I had bargained for. I am going to try the vinegar remedy as soon as I get home from work. I have used rubbing alcohol and this works also. Thanks for all of the valuable suggestions. (06/21/2007)

By Patricia

Sol-U-Mel

Sol-u-mel is amazing, it removes all sorts of things. When I get home I can get the recipe. (07/09/2007)

By Ashley L

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

Hard surfaces can be washed, carpets can be shampooed. You can vacuum your vents as deep as you can reach. If you have an in vent humidifier, a little vinegar in the tray is recommended occasionally anyway. Any time you can open the windows is great. Citrus smells like lemon and orange are great for eliminating all kinds of odors. (07/09/2007)

By Sheraone

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

I would be very cautious using muractic acid to clean the tile grout. It may etch the tile since it etches concrete. Also since you have sensitivities to chemical cleaners you will probably react to the muractic acid. Use with caution. (10/18/2007)

By certified

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

I agree with Shelly, Vamoose 1808T works wonders. In the time it took Sonia to write her testimony, she could have been well on her way to a smoke-free home...and no need to resent the seller. Then again, if the seller had used the product there wouldn't have been a need for candles in the first place. (11/12/2007)

By In The Service Business

Archive: Minimizing Cigarette Smoke and Odors

I don't smoke but my family does and I know these work. To get rid of smoke and smoke odor, there are two things you can do. One: keep a candle lit while smoking, the flame draws the smoke and absorbs it. Or, two: keep a small dish or cup of vinegar near by. The vinegar absorbs the smoke. You can tell when to change the vinegar by the color. When the top becomes dark, dump it and pour fresh. How often you need to change it depends on how much smoking is going on.

By Linda Lush

Feedback:

RE: Minimizing Cigarette Smoke and Odors

buy some cheap oranges push whole cloves in hang or put on a dish this will smell nice and the citrus in the orange cuts through smoke and cooking smells. (08/12/2006)

By anybabs

I keep candle warmers, or coffee warmers, which ever you care to call them, around the house in various locations with a mason jar full of water and a few drops of eucalyptus and citronella essential oil. they are known odor fighters. I have used the vinigar method and an amonia method by placing vases with either solution in out of the way places, decorative and useful. All of the above work wonders.

You can also keep a simmering pot on the stove with orange peelings or lemon peelings.
    Tina (08/12/2006)

By trbrown22

Archive: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

1
    How can I help get rid of smoke and damp odors in my home? I am still a smoker.

Charity from Harrodsburg, KY

Answers:

Coca-Cola in Wash

Add one can of Real Coca-Cola (not sugar free) per load of wash to your machine for your clothes, draperies and other washables.

From a non-smoker's point of view, it doesn't matter what you do to remove the smell, unless you start smoking outside, the smell will always be there. You best bet is to prime your walls with a good primer, then paint them, that will take care of the smoke that's in the walls. You'll also have to wash your carpeting.

But you can avoid the whole mess by renting a simple machine. An Ozone machine. Just leave it running for most of a day and leave the house. When you return, there will be no more smoke smell. The ozone gets inside the walls, carpets, draperies, and upholstered furniture. It will remove the smell very quickly, like there's no tomorrow. I know! We had a house fire and the smoke permeated everything and the ozone machine they brought over got rid of every bit of the nasty smoke smell in 2 days. (It took 2 days because it was a large 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom, 2 story home). You can usually find Ozone Machines at your local rental store. If not, look in the yellow pages under "Fire". Also, buy a quality air freshener that works with ozone and air the house out as much as possible. (With doors and windows open) (12/24/2008)

By Cyinda

Archive: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

What do you use to get rid of the odor of cigarette smoke in an air conditioned room?

By forealp from Georgetown, Guyana

Feedback:

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

I am grateful to all of the people who have discussed their experiences with cigarette smoke odors. I have just begun the process to purchase a home - and it does smell of cigarette smoke. My Realtor commented on the strong smell when we saw the home today. Now I am uncertain that I would want this home. From all of the discussion of smoke odors being inside the cabinets, possibly oozing through the new paint (unless properly washed, primed and painted), and ventilation systems and refrigerators continuing to hold the smell - I am starting to think that I should not buy this home.

It sounds like a major ordeal to really clean one's home of the cigarette smoke odor. If anyone has any more encouraging success stories - they would be great to hear. It sounds like some people have had some success - and some people like the ozone machines, but my tendency is to believe the worst reports (e.g from the physician family below).

I am wanting to live a more green life and have even considered repainting with greener paints - but now reading all of this makes me want to steer clear of this home. Thanks everyone! miss green clean (08/29/2009)

By miss green clean

Archive: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

We recently bought a brand new dishwasher off Craigslist. The dishwasher had never been used, but had been stored in a garage that apparently had been used as the "smoking room". It smells so strongly of smoke.

We have put baking soda in it for 24 hours. We have used vinegar. I have run it several times with various cleaners hoping to work the smell out.

I made the mistake of running a few plastic cups in it early on and now they have a permanent smoke smell. Help. We can't afford to replace another dishwasher (this is our 3rd in 5 years).

By cdsals from ID

Feedback:

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

Try sitting a bowl of cider vinegar in it every day for awhile. Just set it in and close the door. Vinegar removes almost every odor. Thoroughly clean the outside of the dishwasher, too. I can't imagine that the inside of a dishwasher continues to smell like cigarette smoke after a thorough cleaning when it was stored in a garage. (09/17/2009)

By Deeli

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

Try getting a bunch of wadded up newspaper and stuff it in the dishwasher for at least a couple of days. I know this works on refrigerators that have been turned off and got smelly. Hope it helps! (09/19/2009)

By wynsgale

Archive: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

How do you get cigarette smoke smell out of furniture?

By Pamelgw

Feedback:

Archive: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

How do I eliminate cigarette odor from a mattress using only simple things in my household?

By Judithmae from Cadillac, MI

Feedback:

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

Recently went thru that with a mattress that I bought. I sprayed it with a mixture of ammonia and water, and let that dry. Then covered it with baking soda, left for 4 days, vacuumed that up, turned it over, and did the same.
    Helped tremendously. (12/06/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Archive: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

How do I get the smell of cigarettes out of a room?

By Betty from Houston, TX

Feedback:

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

Try setting out a few small bowls of white vinegar. You may need to scrub your walls to remove the nicotine. And don't forget to clean the a/c vent. (03/05/2010)

By beckybd

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

After my mother visits (she is a smoker) I set out 2 glass bowls with regular cleaning ammonia in them, where they are out of reach of kids/pets. I leave them out for 4-8 hours, and then discard. (03/06/2010)

By fatboyslimsmom

Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

I have got to let you know about Room Shocker product. My husband and I found the home of our dreams about 10 months ago. I was so sad when I walked into the home and smelled a horrible cigarette odor everywhere. We are not smokers and I am very sensitive to the smell. If we were going to live there, we had to remove the odor. We almost didn't buy the home because of it.

After doing a lot of research, I found Biocide Systems products. The testimonials convinced me that we could get the smell out. We bought two room shocker bundles (total 8 units). I was amazed when we entered the home after 24 hours. The smell was gone. We already had painters scheduled, so we went ahead and painted. But, I really don't think we would have had to paint.

It's been over 10 months now and none of the smell has come back. The smell of my home is one of the first impressions that a visitor gets and it's very important to me. Because of this product, we were able to buy the home of our dreams. (03/18/2010)

By Marisol72

Archive: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

How do I get cigarette smoke out of the house?

By Anastasia from Berkeley, CA

Feedback:

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

For me, the only way I got rid cigarette smoke smell is washing my walls with bleach. You don't have to use lots of bleach. 1% will do it, and wash anything where you can use bleach. Covering the smelling just isn't enough. Try it! (08/06/2010)

By lilcookie

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

Keeping in mind to keep this up and out of the way of kids and pets, try a bowl of household ammonia, either the clear or yellow kind. Our first home was a used mobile home, and the previous owners were heavy smokers. While we were about redoing and cleaning the inside, I would put a bowl out, leaving windows and doors open while we were inside.

Then when we were done for the day and left, close all of the windows and doors, and the smell will be gone in no time.
    Of course, if it is so bad that it has stained the walls (the yellow cigarette grease was even inside the refrigerator, coating the walls!), washing them down with vinegar, pine oil, or bleach should help. (08/07/2010)

By fatboyslimsmom

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

You will need to also professionally steam clean the carpet with a service like Stanley Steamer, not the rental or do it yourself ones. This will help infinitely. A dehumidifier will also help a lot. Good luck. (08/10/2010)

By yoder178

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

I use to clean bars that smelled terrible from cigarette smoke and we used OdoBan to clean with, it also kills 99.99% of germs; it's wonderful. I use it everyday in my home. You can use it on lots of things. Give it a shot. You can buy it at Wal-mart or Sam's club. Hope this helps! (10/14/2010)

By cathy45

cigarette smoke odors
    Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsFebruary 28, 2012
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Piano Keyboard
    Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors From a Piano
    Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
    Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
    cigarette smell computer
    Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
    Men's leather winter boots.
    Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 8:52:01 AM on 10.0.0.59 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsProductsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings