My grandbaby is visiting soon and I have been doing everything I know to rid the house of cigarette smoke. I have gotten the carpets cleaned. I am also washing draperies and steaming my tile floors. But I still can smell a stale odor even though I haven't smoked in the house in over a year. I'm thinking the walls and my plastic blinds are holding the odor. I heard vinegar and water may work, but I'm afraid the strong smell of vinegar will run everybody out of the house. Suggestions?
Yes, you'll need to wash the walls and blinds. Soap and water should suffice. Depending on how much you smoked, you might also need to get the heating/cooling ducts cleaned. We had to do that on a house we bought from a heavy smoker.
White vinegar is a great deodorant if allowed to dry completely, mix with water, not full strength.
But I would use dawn [blue] and a tablespoon of bleach in a bucket of water. Cigarette smoke contains tar, which is sticky so that's for the Dawn, and bleach will deodorize. The walls need that treatment and it will help. Much of the smell will be gone in few hours. Don't overdo the bleach.
Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.