Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell from House

My grandbaby is visiting soon and I have been doing everything I know to rid the house of cigarette smoke. I have gotten the carpets cleaned. I am also washing draperies and steaming my tile floors. But I still can smell a stale odor even though I haven't smoked in the house in over a year. I'm thinking the walls and my plastic blinds are holding the odor. I heard vinegar and water may work, but I'm afraid the strong smell of vinegar will run everybody out of the house. Suggestions?

By Molly

Showing: Answers Sort

By Melanie Jackson 1 373 Flag

Yes, you'll need to wash the walls and blinds. Soap and water should suffice. Depending on how much you smoked, you might also need to get the heating/cooling ducts cleaned. We had to do that on a house we bought from a heavy smoker.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By PENNY K 14 564 Flag

White vinegar is a great deodorant if allowed to dry completely, mix with water, not full strength.

But I would use dawn [blue] and a tablespoon of bleach in a bucket of water. Cigarette smoke contains tar, which is sticky so that's for the Dawn, and bleach will deodorize. The walls need that treatment and it will help. Much of the smell will be gone in few hours. Don't overdo the bleach.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

cigarette smoke odors
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsSeptember 3, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Cigarette Smoke
Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell From a Painting
cigarette smoke odors
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 11:29:54 PM on 10.0.1.6 in 843 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings