Removing Coffee Odor From Plastic Coffee Canisters

I have a good source of large, used plastic coffee canisters with lids. I wanted to use the canisters to store other dry goods I buy in bulk, such as flour, oatmeal, beans, sugar, etc., but I can't get the coffee odor out of the plastic. I had some oatmeal in one, and it definitely gave the oatmeal a coffee flavor.

I've tried washing in vinegar, putting baking soda and newspaper in them, then leaving for a few days and then washing again afterwards. Right now I have a little activated charcoal in one to see if that will work. Any other suggestions on how to get the odor out?

Thanks for all your help!

Sarah from Indianapolis, IN

I have tried, with success, pouring in 1/2 c. vinegar and placing the lid back on the container. Then, I let them sit for a few days, giving an occasional shake when I walk by them. I haven't found much else that works. Good luck! (02/22/2006)

By 75043

Fill coffee canister with a couple tablespoons of bleach and fill with hot water. Let it stand in sink for about 30 minutes. Rinse well with cool water. Let air dry. (02/22/2006)

By mkymlp

Reusing Plastic Coffee Cans, A plastic red container of ground coffee.
Reusing Plastic Coffee Cans
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Film Canister
Uses for Film Canisters
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker