Removing Crayon From Walls

Category Walls
Crayon marks on a wall.
Removing crayon from walls is something that every parent has to do at some point. Unfortunately, crayon can be pretty difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing crayon from walls.

Use toothpaste to remove crayon from surfaces/walls. Rub in and wipe off! My toddler colored on my living room wall one day (just left the room for a second!) with non-washable crayon. The bright orange picture he drew came off instantly with toothpaste (use paste not gel)! Also works on other surfaces such as tables and floors. Toothpaste also works well for various other marks/messes (i.e. scuffs on the floor and cooked on messes on flat stove tops).

By April

Good way to get crayon marks off of walls is to take your hair dryer and hold the heat on the crayon for a couple of minutes. It will start to melt the crayon. Then take a rag with warm water and it will wipe off.

By Debbie N from Tacoma, WA

I have a little girl who loves to write, draw, and color on our walls. I mean from big to small drawings, she colors the wall as if it is a big coloring book! Crayons are her life, she always had some in every corner of our house and has some hiding in her pocket!

So moms, bring it on! I just use my hair blower and blow those crayon marks on the walls and on the floors. After blowering it, just wipe with a cloth, and it's totally neat and clean!

I swear by Mr. Clean magic erasers. My daughter took a red crayon to the wall and the white brick by the fire place. Eraser took it right off! Hope that helps!

I use a hot iron and a paper towel. First put the towel on the crayon marks and iron over the mark until it is gone and there is no more wax on the wall.

I used WD 40 and then cleaned the oil from it with hot water and Dawn dish detergent on a towel. My wall looks like new and none of the paint came off.

How do you get glue and crayon marks of every color off?

By Terri from Adel, GA

I saw a designer on HGTV use white toothpaste (not gel) and a damp sponge.

Try those magic erasers. They work great. The glue may be a bit tricky, maybe the glue remover for stripping wallpaper would work.

If your paint is washable, use a lot of soapy water and elbow grease!

Try WD40 on the crayon. Then wash it off the wall. What type of glue is it? If it is watersoluable glue, you may be able to just wash it off, but if it is white glue, you may have to live with it, or sand and patch.

How do you remove ink and crayon from walls?

By Randa from San Marcos, TX

I swear by mr clean magic erasers. My daughter took a red crayon to the wall and the white brick by the fire place. Eraser took it right off! Hope that helps!

Heres a great website called: "21 ways to remove crayon from walls"

http://tipnut.c  ayon-from-walls/

They recommend some unusual things like: Shaving Cream, Baby Oil, Nonstick Cooking Spray & Baby Wipes& a Blowdryer, just to name a few..

* I would add FingerNail Polish Remover & "Goop" (hand cleaner) to their list.

Note: If you clean the crayon off with WD-40,

use "GOOP" to remove the WD-40 as it's made to remove oil & grease.

I use a hot iron and a paper towel, using the towel, iron over the mark until it is gone and there is no more wax on the wall.

How can I erase crayon on a semi-gloss latex finish? My 2 year old grandson just tried to make "art" on the wall.

By Paul from Philippines

Answers:

Removing Crayon From Walls

I used a Magic Eraser when my daughter did this, several years ago. It was fairly effortless (just a few rubs). I read that it's actually like a super fine sandpaper, so you might want to try a little rub on a hidden spot, to make sure that it won't hurt the semi-gloss. Just don't go crazy!

If you think it'll make an impression on him (hard to say at 2 years old), have him 'help" you clean his crayon marks. Maybe having to fix it will help him understand why he shouldn't be drawing on the walls. Best of luck! (03/22/2010)

By mrs.story

How do I get crayon off of the wall?

Samantha from Loveland, CO

Answers:

Cleaning Crayon off Walls

Do you hate when your children or brothers and sisters get permanent marker stains on the wall? Well, I have a solution for you and it's very simple. All you have to do is use any toothpaste (maybe Colgate) and wipe the mark away. Works every time! (10/31/2006)

By lewis_admin

Cleaning Crayon off Walls

I have used WD-40 and it works really well. (11/01/2006)

By jmz2005

Cleaning Crayon off Walls

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers are awesome! (11/01/2006)

By D

Cleaning Crayon off Walls

Thanks! The dryer sheet worked well, and when combined with the hair dryer it was amazing! It came off in just a few minutes. (12/09/2007)

By Raymond, Chicago IL

Cleaning Crayon off Walls

Thanks for the tips. I used a hair dryer and softener sheets and it worked great. I know the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work but I didn't have any. Just an FYI for everyone, if you use the Magic Eraser, don't let your kids touch them. They've been reported to burn through their skin due to the acid in them.

Thanks again. (03/09/2008)

By Veronica

Cleaning Crayon off Walls

I tried the toothpaste and it did not work very well. What specific kind should I use? (08/23/2008)

By Joyce Quaye

Cleaning Crayon off Walls

Thank you so much for the tip using laundry sheets and a hair dryer. My 3 year old colored on every wall in her room. Took me a few minutes, but we got it all off without any damage to the paint. (11/18/2008)

By khristy

Cleaning Crayon off Walls

Dryer sheets get most of it, then use baking soda on a damp sponge works. (02/21/2009)

By Chris

Cleaning Crayon off Walls

Thanks for the tip on the baby oil and hair dryer. I had no luck with the toothpaste either, but the baby oil was a lifesaver! (02/22/2009)

By Carrie

Cleaning Crayon off Walls

Thanks so much for the help! My daughter used crayon on my newly painted wall. (12/09/2009)

By jbratko

How do I remove crayon from my flat painted walls?

By Donna from Garfield, NJ

Answers:

Removing Crayon From Walls

Flat paint is generally not washable unless you or the previous home owner purchased a high quality washable flat.
You can try using dish soap and water or TSP to clean the walls, but the chances of it coming off and not damaging the paint are slim. You should prime that part of the wall with Bin primer by Zinsser and then repaint that wall. (11/30/2009)

By Hawker19

Removing Crayon From Walls

When my son drew on my wall with crayon, I cleaned it with vinegar and baking soda. I simply filled a spray bottle with white distilled vinegar and sprayed generously on the stain. Then put some baking soda on the scour side of a sponge and scrub. I have beige walls and the crayon came right off without damaging the paint. (12/01/2009)

By ecogirl91304

How do you get crayons off walls?

Kimberly B.

Answers:

Removing Crayon From Walls

I used WD 40 and then cleaned the oil from it with hot water and Dawn dish detergent on a towel. My wall looks like new and none of the paint came off. (12/11/2007)

By Moneah

Removing Crayon From Walls

I have another odd remedy that is working for my daughters. The toothpaste worked, but not nearly as fast as what my girls are using right this minute to take the crayon and dry erase marker off my walls. A regular pencil eraser, we are using the ones that are rectangular in shape, and it's working just like you'd erase pencil from paper. (01/15/2008)

By T.C.

Removing Crayon From Walls

I just tried the baking soda, it worked great and it's environmentally friendly. FYI: Mayonnaise works great for getting crayon off windows and other glass. (02/28/2008)

By Melissa

Removing Crayon From Walls

I tried toothpaste - I'm almost out of grownup toothpaste, so I used the kid's toothpaste on a semi-gloss wall with a washcloth, and it came up beautifully. (03/18/2008)

By Amanda Mayhem

Removing Crayon From Walls

Thank you. Magic Eraser rocks. I removed the crayon on my walls with little effort. (04/25/2008)

By Jennifer

My 2 yr old put markers and crayons everywhere threw my apartment and I have to get them off any suggestions?

Tracy from TN

Answers:

Removing Crayon From Walls

Mr Clean magic eraser, it's magic, really! (08/03/2007)

By michawnpita

Removing Crayon From Walls

try rubbing alcohol it works great for any stains-- even sharpie on wood or counters be careful on certain types of paint--it can take off the glossyness (08/04/2007)

By girl

Removing Crayon From Walls

Mr Clean Magic Eraser will take it off every time. (08/07/2007)

Removing Crayon From Walls

I'll add my vote to magic eraser. I love that thing. Tip- Cut it into smaller pieces if you are doing smaller jobs. Getting wet seems to use it up faster, so just use a small piece at a time. I do this with scrubbing pads too. I tend to throw them away after a certain amount of time no matter how big, so halving them stretches them a lot.
(08/09/2007)

By Celeste

Removing Crayon From Walls

Try Mr Clean magic erasers. They don't take off the paint. You may have to use a little muscle to get it off. (08/12/2007)

By bobbie

Removing Crayon From Walls

My mother has gone on and on about the Magic Eraser for a while, and yes, I've seen the commercial, but not until night before last did I use it. We have very, very old and papery wall paper in one of our rooms and there was crayon on the wall and the back of a door when we moved in! I never wanted to even try to get the crayon off the paper for fear it would just disintigrate. I tried the Magic Eraser on the back of the door... and it just WIPED OFF! so. I tried it on the paper, and again, no muscle, nothing. it just WIPED right off! We are in the process of getting our house ready to go on the market now. I went out and bought 10 boxes! They make them in a mop head too! (08/13/2007)

By missanimalcracker

Removing Crayon From Walls

I tried EVERYTHING I don't know what kind of paint is on the walls nothing was working. I followed all the suggestions from others going through the same thing. So following a suggestion from a good friend I got out the clorox bleach, dawn dish washing liquid and a scrub pad the one with yellow soft side and green scrub side. Using the green scrub side I put dawn and sprayed the beautiful art work created by my 9 year old autistic son with straight bleach. wiped and glory be it worked! I had to use a little elbow grease on some of the black and red colors which I didn't mind because it helped me exercise my giggly arms. 2 great results..Try it..bleach, dawn and a scrub pad and a great work out for your arms. (09/07/2007)

By Vivian

Removing Crayon From Walls

My almost 2yr old daughter marked with crayon all over my walls! I tried everything, and it just didn't work. I put a bowl of water with some Lava hand soap shavings and put it into the microwave until HOT. I dipped a washcloth into the hot water and started scrubbing. THANK GOODNESS this worked! (09/14/2007)

By Ashley

A damp cloth with baking soda will take crayon off your walls. Don't rub hard! Just rub gently and firmly until the stain comes off.

Soften the crayon by blowing hot air on it with a hair dryer, then wipe with a clean cloth with a little baby oil on it. Works great!