Removing Crazy Glue from Leather

I spilled crazy glue on the lapel of my black leather jacket, oil will not work, it will ruin leather. nail polish will not work, any other ideas? - Kim

Answers:

Removing Crazy Glue from Leather

Crazy glue is a brand name for a bunch of glues that are essentially cyanoacrylics. The solvent is acetone. Finger nail polish probably didn't work because it is a very diluted form of acetone (usually also containing oils and perfume to make it less "solvent" smelling) Anyway, use the full strength stuff (available at any store that carries hardware and paint supplies). I would suggest testing a small amount on an inconspicuous part of the jacket first just to be safe, but it probably won't hurt anything unless it is dyed leather. (Even then, the dye would have to be soluble in acetone.) Most likely, you will have to scratch up the surface a bit first to allow the solvent to penetrate; then drop a bit on and let it set until it evaporates. Do that a few times to soften it up before gently rubbing the spot with a soft cloth or toothbrush. (Make sure you don't use a brush with bristles that can dissolve in acetones - some plastics will! Best to use a natural bristle if possible.) Use a leather conditioner afterward because acetone is very drying. Good Luck! (03/11/2005)

By Tailypo

Removing Crazy Glue from Leather

They make a super glue remover. It is in a gel form and seems to gently remove the glue. My nephew glued his mouth shut and this stuff didn't seem to hurt him, so it shouldn't hurt leather. (03/13/2005)

By Marti

Actually this is about removing crazy glue from skin.

I just spilt some crazy glue on my hand and i worried, I want inside and all I did was take a manual men's shaver and put some shaving cream on, and then shaved that layer of glue off. it worked fantastic, and I'm 14 yrs old.
(06/01/2006)

By Dan

Removing Crazy Glue from Skin

Thanks DAN for your idea of shaving the skin it really worked for me in my emergency (09/26/2006)

By Zulliany

Removing Crazy Glue from Leather

Tea tree oil is truly fantastic stuff. It will kill a tick as well as heal a cut, mosquito bite, or open fever blister. When applied to super or crazy glue and rubbed in it will take the glue off while not harming the skin and should not harm leather. (01/18/2007)

By Justina Duncan

Removing Crazy Glue from Leather

(b)NEVER use acetone on leather to remove anything!(/b) I do leather and vinyl repair and have had to repair and re-dye to many couches and leather products due to the customer thinking acetone was safe to use on it. Most leather (even some high end leather) dye will dissolve in acetone even diluted. Not only can this cause discoloration it can also eat at the softer grades of leather if not rinsed quickly and properly. In my trade we use acetone to remove the dye when there is an imperfection in the coloring before re-dying it so please please do not use acetone! (01/11/2008)

By titan

Removing Crazy Glue from Leather
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
new leather chair
Smell from New Leather Furniture
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
🎉
🎄