Removing Dry Erase Marker from a Refrigerator

My daughter drew on my brand new refrigerator (inside and out) with a green dry erase marker. I tried everything from nail polish remover to rubbing alcohol. Any suggestions?

Missy from Amarillo

Answers:

Did you try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? Those things work wonders. (01/27/2006)

By jessiworm

I would go to an office supply store and buy some dry erase marker cleaner. It is kind of expensive but that is what it is made for. I would also do this before you try anything else because everything you are using could be setting in the stain rather than taking it away. (01/27/2006)

By Rachel from TN

I purchased "Purple Power" from Walmart. It is in the Automotive section. It is a degreaser and works great at removing all kinds of marks, and it is biodegradable too! (01/27/2006)

By Donna from Austin, Texas

Our daughter took ballpoint pen and drew on the walls and even on some wallpaper. I used the Magic Eraser and got it all off. It did mar the wallpaper a bit but not that noticeable, better than the pen drawing plus we are replacing the wallpaper asap. (01/27/2006)

My granddaughter did the same thing to my washer and dryer. I tried the dry erase cleaner but it didn't get it all off. I finally tried 'Greased Lightning' and it worked great. This can be bought at WalMart, Home Depot, etc. in the cleaning depts. (01/27/2006)

By sjackie2000

If you have baby wipes, try one of those. I've been amazed at what messes my artist (aka 3 year old) makes that I can wipe up simply with a baby wipe. Another idea - there's a product called Goo Gone that I've seen at Walmart or hardware stores. It takes out all kinds of things, although I think the main purpose is for removing adhesive stickiness from plastics. (01/28/2006)

By mclandy

I would try Lysol spray (any scent) It removes permanent marker from Dry Erase boards, so maybe it will work. Good Luck.
(01/28/2006)

By lil'ol'me

Mr Clean Magic Eraser took PERMANENT marker off the side of our fridge. My daughter wrote on the fridge thinking she had a dry erase marker. It took the marks off completely so I think that would definitely work on dry erase markers. I know sometimes I just write on my fridge with one of those markers, if I can't completely clean it, I just snip off a little square of the erase pad and clean up anything left over. (01/29/2006)

By washburn6394

Might be obvious, but have you tried a dry towel? I've had my kids draw on mine (with a non-smooth finish) with dry erase and I dry washcloth always takes it off. (Probably if you try it first anyway.)
(01/31/2006)

By Kaina

You could actually try marking over the mark with another dry erase marker, and then wiping it up while still wet. I know this works to take permanent marker off of dry erase surfaces.
(03/01/2006)

By Chris Lewis

I know this is a few months later, but for anyone who has this problem in the future... We had dry erase marker on our fridge for a good four months with a "to do" list, and the sun hit it, and from now on I swear by SOS pads. I'm sure those other things work, but if you are living abroad, you may not find them. SOS pads saved us from losing our deposit! (06/01/2006)

By Kari in Mexico

My daughter just did the same thing. GooGone did it. The magic Eraser didn't even touch it. (07/27/2007)

By Kris

I used to have a cleaner that worked really well, but the product is no longer available in the U.S. - it was sold on T.V., and the name was similar to "Orange Clean," but "Orange Clean" isn't the correct product.

Side note: A trick that I learned for permanent marker on dry erase boards is to color over the permanent marker with dry erase marker, and then wipe the marker off with a paper towel.

Practicality of this idea?

The marker would probably fade if you placed the refrigerator outside in the sun.

Had dry eraser marker on fridge could get it off used oxy clean max force laundry stain remover omg leave on for 30 sec wipe with paper towel gone

Combine baking soda and white vinegar in a cup, then take a clean, dry wash cloth and use it to scoop out some of the mixture. Then apply mixture to the surface of the fridge while scrubbing.

Bar's keeper friend with a wet towel.

Wet Erase Marker
Removing Wet Erase Marker Stains
Dry Erase Markers
Removing Dry Erase Marker from a Couch
Dry Erase Markers on White Background
Removing Dry Erase Marker from a Chalk Board
Dry Erase Markers
Reviving Dry Erase Markers
🎄
🍂