Removing Dye That Transferred in the Wash

I have a new white cotton shirt that has two black stripes on both sleeves and they bled onto the white. There is a full design on the front as well. I have tried Oxiclean, Clorox Bleach Pen, Stain Stick, and Wisk detergent. I'm not sure what else I can try on those spots. It is very noticeable.

By Vickie from Bemidji, MN

Answers:

The only thing I can suggest is to dip a Q-tip in bleach and dab at the mis-colored spots, being really careful not to get the bleach on the black fabric. Whenever I wash an item that has more than one color on it, I use a product by Shout called something like Color Catcher. It does work. I tried it for the first time with a shirt that was red with a white insert in the v-neck, and I have had the shirt for several years. (11/30/2010)

By redhatterb

I would take this back where it was purchased. This is not supposed to happen. Hopefully you did not use bleach! (12/01/2010)

By lindal

Picture of a red striped shirt in a washer.
Removing Dye Transfers from Clothing
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
Eggs in Colored Dye
Other Uses for Easter Egg Dye
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 2:50:50 PM on 10.0.2.62 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.