Removing Fabric Dye Stains

Category Stains
Photo of a tie dyed fabric.
Unfortunately fabric dye is not always colorfast and can transfer to many other items, such as your couch, a purse, or even the floor. This is a guide about removing fabric dye stains.

During storage of our pop up camper, we forgot to remove the curtains which are a red wine color. The roof developed a leak and the dye from the curtains transferred onto the light grey canvas. I purchased a canvas cleaner, however it failed to remove the stains. Short of replacing the entire canvas, does anyone have any suggestions for any products that would remove the red dye without damaging the canvas material? I have also thought of using fabric paint to try and get as close a match as possible, but this is a last resort.

By Dave K.

You could try using dye remover. It has to be dissolved in hot water first, but then could be sponged on. The canvas would have to be sponged with clean water to rinse it. The dye remover is sold wherever fabric dye is sold.

Is it really that bad? I camp in a popup. You are camping! So long as the canvas is good, it certainly isn't thrifty to replace it. You could spend that money on so many other things!

Our babysitter sat on our almost white sofa and left the stain of her new jeans in a perfect outline on the cushions. Is there anyone who knows what to do to get out the dye? Our fabric protection policy says that it will only remove food stains. So I will have to do it myself. Please help.

T. Davis

By 1tdavis1 from Atlanta, GA

You don't say what kind of fabric is on your couch.

My sofa fabric is thick cotton.

How do you get the red stain, from the curtains, off of the canvas in a pop up? What cleaning product will work?

By Phyllis M.

This is a really strange thing to try, but what about wetting the canvas and holding one of those dye catching cloths to it to see if that would work. The cloths work amazingly well in the washer so if your back is against the wall it might be worth a try.

How can I remove fabric dye stains from my cement driveway?

By catilda from Elgin, IL

You can use a Dye Remover:

http://www.dhar  ng/1535-AA.shtml

But before you spend the money on it, I'd try pouring bleach on a small area & letting it soak for a bit to see if this will work... Be sure to stay in the area to make sure no neighborhood pets get into the bleach!

* You might also want to call the Dharma people (above). They know all about dyes & all about removing them! - 1(800) 542-5227

So I sat down on my new white, faux leather bar stool and the dye from my clothing stained the seat. I tried alcohol, Magic Eraser, and WD-40. Nothing has worked. Anything else that might work? I seriously need some help.

My cheetah print sheet has faded onto my mattress and it's blue so I was wondering how to get it off?

By Mariah

My daughter put on her new Christmas pjs right from the package and when breakfast was over we noticed two of our white leather bar stool/chairs were distinctly pink. They aren't 'plush' but rather firm/hard.

Any thoughts? The retailer has been no help in terms of finding out the composition of the dye.

By Lesley M.

My son was working with this transfer dye at school, but someone bumped into him and he has got it on the back of his school shirt. I don't know how to get the transfer dye out of it.

By mw

I accidentally left an old microfiber cloth, colored dark purple, in my white painted model car. The microfiber cloth is compressed to the model car and unfortunately its color is printed unto to the model car's white paint. Any idea, how I could remove the purple dye without damaging the model car's paint? Thanks.

By Ryo Hansel A

My dog's bed was outside and got soaked in the rain. I put it in my bathroom to dry out and the dye ran out of the bed and onto my linoleum floor. I have tried everything I could think of and nothing is getting it out. Any suggestions please? I would be very grateful for any tips, advice etc.

By Claire from Scotland

I have a fabric Oroton handbag that has got dye transfer from my jeans. It has been Scotch Guarded, but I am concerned about how to get it clean. Can anyone help?

Natalie from Blue Mountains, Australia