Removing Gasoline from Car Carpet

DH spilled gasoline on the carpet in our car. The smell is horrible. How can I get rid of the smell?

By Barbara from Middletown, DE

Removing Gasoline from Car Carpet

I spilled some gas on my dad's brand new Suburban, not a lot, but the smell was sickening. I tried every thing, but only two things helped. I used Muphy's oil soap mixed with water (1/2c to 1g), and rubbing alcohol. Scrub/soak the area with the oil soap water then let it sit for an hour or so then use a shop vac to suck it up. Repeat until the smell is almost gone when you stick your nose right up to the carpet. Then let the carpet dry in the sun, fans help to. When it is completely dry take a clean rag, soak the rag in rubbing alcohol and liberally wet down the area of the spill. Let this air dry. When that's done it should smell much better. Hope it helps (06/12/2010)

By arem250

Disposing of Old Gasoline, Red gas can.
Cleaning Gasoline from Car Carpet
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Disposing of Old Gasoline, Red gas can.
Disposing of Old Gasoline
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet