Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

I have a navy blue cotton top. I have found a grease stain that didn't come out in the wash. Can anyone help? I don't want to take the color out so I have to be careful with what I use. I live in England so I don't think I can get the product Dawn that everyone talks about.

By shelagh from England

Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

The 2 best removers of grease and oil stains are WD-40 and Goop (the hand cleaner for mechanics, made for removing grease from hands and sold at most $1 stores). The Goop needs to be scrubbed into the stain with a toothbrush first. It's best to first use the WD40 then scrub in a little Goop. They also say that Dawn dish washing liquid works, as does Cheese-Wiz and also Talcum powder. Read Below:

More information on removing grease stains:

* Never use WD-40 on silk.

Since you live in England and you may not be able to find the product called "Goop" you can go to any Auto Parts Store and ask what product they sell to the clean hands of those who work on cars. (06/16/2009)

By Cyinda

Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

I use baby powder. Put article of clothing on surface such as an ironing board. Dust with powder. You can gently spread it around, but don't rub it in. Leave a few minutes and then brush off with an old toothbrush. Repeat until grease stain is gone. (06/17/2009)

By soph6767

Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

Can you find the products called "Shout" and "Spray n Wash"? They're really good at lifting washed-in stains. Hope you're successful. God bless you. (06/18/2009)

By tedsmom

Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

Here is one old trick from oil field days. Put your clothes in the washer start filling it up and pour a can of coke in. This cuts the grease and oil.

Most of my stuff is not that heavy duty grease and what I use is a cup powder automatic dishwasher detergent and a cup of bleach to a sink of hot water. Pulls most every thing unless it has been set by the dryer already. I have used this on colored things also. It never hurt what I put in the solution. My sister-in-law uses this mixture in her washer and has for over 30 years. She doubles the recipe.

Glitz (06/18/2009)

By Glitz

Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

This is a method used by the Canadian Armed Forces Soldiers. Honest to goodness true, Coke Cola. Pour directly on the grease spot, leave for 5 to 10 minutes and launder as normal. I tried this, and no kidding, it worked like a charm. I have been using this grease removing method ever since. Try it, it works.

Hedera (06/18/2009)

By hedera

Woman removing a Grease stain.
Removing Grease (Oil) Stains from Clothing
Steam cleaning Upholstery
Removing Grease Stain on Upholstery
grease stain on carpet
Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
person in t-shirt pouring food oil in bowl
Cleaning Food Oil Stains from T-Shirts
Woman in white lace shirt gazing down
Removing Grease Stains on Lace Clothing