Removing Grout From Tiles

installing tile
When doing a tile job one of the common problems is grout that is not properly cleaned off of the tile before it dries. This is a guide about removing grout from tiles.

Our sons tiled our house a couple of months ago and we are still trying to get the extra grout off the tile where they didn't finish cleaning it. Any ideas how to get it off? We have scrubbed and soaked, bit it is still there. Help please.

By Terri from Pensacola, FL

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Answers

Best Answer

As a plumber I do lots of tiling. You have work ahead of you because time was not taken when it needed to be. OK there are grout removers available at hardware stores. If you use the above suggestion be careful if you have high gloss tiles you will scratch them and look at those scratches forever. If you apply pressure be careful not to crack your tiles.

I would call a specialist a tile supplier, an importer. They always have high end tile setters that they may recommend (or that purchase from them). I think the grout remover solution is a good idea, but be careful not to wreck your sealant (which would have your newly renovated bath at risk for leaks).

I see another sight recommends a Dremel only do this for complete removal. Remember your tile is new if its over 48 hours its already set, so take your time and take expert advice.

Best Answer

My husband is a builder so I have cleaned my share of grout off tiles. If it is only the filmy substance left on top of the tiles, use a solution of white vinegar and water with a Scotch Brite pad. If the grout is heavier, use very, very light fine grade wet sandpaper. Go slow and good luck. This is a tough job. My fingernails can attest to that.

Best Answer

You waited too long after grouting to remove the grout haze. Now it needs to be acid washed. While this sounds scary and damaging, it will just remove the grout from the tile and not damage the grout lines -- if done properly. Contact your local floor covering store or possibly Lowe's or Home Depot and they can sell you the muradic acid and give you directions. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, just ask them to recommend a good installer to finish this up for you. I've been in floor covering for 16 years.

How do I go about removing the grout from my shower tiles? We grouted them, but kinda made a mess in the end by not having experience on this. We thought we had to let it sit for 24 hours. Well we did and now can't get it off the tile or the tub. We have scrubbed and scrubbed. What do we do now? There has to be some chemical we can use. Please help.

By lil mamma