Removing Hard Water Stains from a Tub

Does any one have a remedy for hard water? We have a water softener, but in trying to save money, I have not been buying salt. The problem is mostly in my shower and tub the walls are stained yellow. I used to buy "The Works", but the company has either stopped making it or I cannot find it locally. I have tried other products, but they just don't work the same. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jen from OH

Answers:

Removing Hard Water Stains From Tub

Sure thing, buy Lysol toilet bowl cleaner or use straight white vinegar. (09/24/2008)

By ladydinan

Removing Hard Water Stains From Tub

Thanks to another thriftyfunners tip this is what I use. Half vinegar and half Dawn dish soap. You can also add a little more vinegar if you want. Shake it up in a spray bottle, spray the tub with it, let it sit about five minutes and rinse. It works great. The soap helps the vinegar cling to the sides to dissolve hard water stains and cuts through soap scum, body oils, etc. I used to use Scrubbing Bubbles, now this is all I use. (09/24/2008)

By Mel

Removing Hard Water Stains From Tub

Believe it or not, Coca Cola is said to remove hard water and lime scum. Just pour, spray, or wipe it on the the surface and let it set for several hours, then rinse it off. (09/25/2008)

By Doris

Removing Hard Water Stains From Tub

Depending on the surface you clean I use a small square of sheet rock screen. It works great removing hard water stains on cast iron tubs or porcelain, but you can't use it on fiberglass. Sheet rock screen can be purchased at a hardware store and comes in sheets like sandpaper. Hope this may help someone. (09/25/2008)

By Jackie

Removing Hard Water Stains from a Tub

I can usually find The Works cleaners at the local Family Dollar store. I love their products. Here's their website:

theworkscleans.com (09/26/2008)

By Reen1960

Removing Hard Water Stains from a Tub

Pour a cup of liquid laundry detergent, fill tub with water. Let soak, preferably overnight. Then wipe away as water drains. Works great, and the bathroom smells nice and fresh. Which is great, if your bathroom has no windows. (09/27/2008)

By Jerrmatt

Removing Hard Water Stains from a Tub

Try this for The Works:

To find a store near you that carries the Works Brand, call the Consumer Relations department at 1-800-448-5281. (09/28/2008)

By Noella

Removing Hard Water Stains from a Tub

I have used oven cleaner and it works well. You can buy the cheapest brand, even at the Dollar store. Just leave sit for a minute or two and wipe. Hope it works. (10/01/2008)

By Chris