Removing Hard Water Stains from a Tub

Hard water can leave a ringlike deposit in your tub just as it does in the toilet. This is a guide about removing hard water stains from a tub.

September 24, 2008 Flag

I have a plastic tub surround that is severely stained yellow from hard water. I have tried baking soda and vinegar as well as CLR, with no luck. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Katrina from Cheshire, MA

Answers:

Removing Hard Water Stains From Tub

Put some vinegar on it and wait a few minutes or maybe even a few hours then scrub it. You won't believe the result. (09/26/2007)

By M from Iran

Removing Hard Water Stains From Tub

There is a product called Lime Away that may work. Then there is another thing that you can rub on the surface, and I don't remember what it is called. It is like a porous rock. When you use it disintegrates as you rub on the surface. I have used it on my toilet bowls to get off stains from hard water. It worked for me. (09/26/2007)

By suzin

Removing Hard Water Stains From Tub

Barkeepers friend scouring powder and a bit elbow grease always works and is cheap. (09/26/2007)

By bornfree7777

Removing Hard Water Stains From Tub

Thanks for the feedback. I tried the vinegar and lime away and neither worked. Is there some substitute for barkeepers friend? I have looked for it and can't find it. (10/04/2007)

By Lionkat2

Top Comment

To avoid getting hard water stains and soap scum buildup on your tub and shower wall, don't leave it dirty and wet.

Take a couple of minutes and wipe the walls and tub down with a towel.

December 4, 2009 Flag

I need help removing hard water stains from the tub and toilet. Does anyone have any suggestions?

By Lisa from MS

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try dishwasher liquid soap, good luck.

December 4, 2009 Flag

Does any one have a remedy for hard water? We have a water softener, but in trying to save money, I have not been buying salt. The problem is mostly in my shower and tub the walls are stained yellow. I used to buy "The Works", but the company has either stopped making it or I cannot find it locally. I have tried other products, but they just don't work the same. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jen from OH

Answers:

Removing Hard Water Stains From Tub

Sure thing, buy Lysol toilet bowl cleaner or use straight white vinegar. (09/24/2008)

By ladydinan

Removing Hard Water Stains From Tub

Thanks to another thriftyfunners tip this is what I use. Half vinegar and half Dawn dish soap. You can also add a little more vinegar if you want. Shake it up in a spray bottle, spray the tub with it, let it sit about five minutes and rinse. It works great. The soap helps the vinegar cling to the sides to dissolve hard water stains and cuts through soap scum, body oils, etc. I used to use Scrubbing Bubbles, now this is all I use. (09/24/2008)

By Mel

Removing Hard Water Stains From Tub

Believe it or not, Coca Cola is said to remove hard water and lime scum. Just pour, spray, or wipe it on the the surface and let it set for several hours, then rinse it off. (09/25/2008)

By Doris

Removing Hard Water Stains From Tub

Depending on the surface you clean I use a small square of sheet rock screen. It works great removing hard water stains on cast iron tubs or porcelain, but you can't use it on fiberglass. Sheet rock screen can be purchased at a hardware store and comes in sheets like sandpaper. Hope this may help someone. (09/25/2008)

By Jackie

Removing Hard Water Stains from a Tub

I can usually find The Works cleaners at the local Family Dollar store. I love their products. Here's their website:

theworkscleans.com (09/26/2008)

By Reen1960

Removing Hard Water Stains from a Tub

Pour a cup of liquid laundry detergent, fill tub with water. Let soak, preferably overnight. Then wipe away as water drains. Works great, and the bathroom smells nice and fresh. Which is great, if your bathroom has no windows. (09/27/2008)

By Jerrmatt

Removing Hard Water Stains from a Tub

Try this for The Works:

To find a store near you that carries the Works Brand, call the Consumer Relations department at 1-800-448-5281. (09/28/2008)

By Noella

Removing Hard Water Stains from a Tub

I have used oven cleaner and it works well. You can buy the cheapest brand, even at the Dollar store. Just leave sit for a minute or two and wipe. Hope it works. (10/01/2008)

By Chris

Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomNovember 17, 2016
Hard Water Stains
Removing Hard Water Stains
Claw Foot Tub in Bright Bathroom
Cleaning a Claw Foot Tub
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub
🎉
🎄