Removing Heat and Water Marks from Wood Furniture

I have old dark water marks on a light wood table top. How do I remove them?

Billie from Roy, WA

Oil and vinagar works for me everytime. Put a bit of both on rub in and wipe off with a cloth. (08/26/2006)

By Kinga

Removing Heat Marks from Wood Furniture

The day after having friends over for dinner, we successfully removed seven prominent heat marks from our refinished 1860s walnut dining room table by first using toothpaste (Colgate Cavity Protection) followed by mayo and ashes. We were so happy to find this website with suggestions and advice. 9/26/06 (09/26/2006)

By Kay

It worked... but now its too shiny.

One of our relatives place a HOT cup of tea on our new black-stained rubberwood dining table from World Market and left a huge white ring. The mayo and ash only worked after we really heated it up with the blow dryer.

The problem is now that spot looks too shiny (overpolished, or too much heat from blow dryer?). I cleaned the area to remove any excess oil. I very lightly rubbed 150 grit sandpaper over the area, but now it looks slightly whiteish. I used a cream polish over it, but with no change. Can anyone give some tips to help us save our satin-finish? (09/27/2006)

By Brian

Hair Dryer

The hair dryer realy does work! Make sure its not on the same spot for a long time as the varnish may bubble) any tips for bubbling varnish? (10/26/2006)

By vicky

This is just not working for me! I tried the mayo, heated mayo, tooth paste, tea. Then I finally burnt some paper to make ash - then I mixed that with the mayo. I scrubbed and scrubbed under a blow dryer - still nothing. The one mark I am working on was just made this morning!(11/23/2006)

By Katelyn

I tried using mayonnaise on my white water mark, but it didn't seem to help. Then I tried the hair dryer, and I could NOT believe my eyes when it gradually disappeared! Thank you for great advice! (01/20/2007)

By Anna Maria

I bought a used walnut table with white heat marks on it. Nothing I've tried has worked. I tried the mayo and ash, which slightly took the white mark off, but still alot there. I realize the ash provides a 'grit' similar to steel wool, so how long do I need to scrub and how hard? I'm scared of removing the shiny finish. Also tried the hairdryer, to no avail. (02/16/2007)

By Anna

Water Mark on Wood
Removing Water Marks from Wood Furniture
Cup Stain on Wood
Removing Cup Rings from Wood Furniture
Hot coffee mug on wood table.
Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
A pregnant woman rubbing cream in her belly to prevent stretch marks.
Preventing Stretch Marks