Removing Ink from Leather

Whether its a jacket, purse, or other item, ink stains on leather can ruin an items appearance. It is important to not further damage the leather when trying to remove the ink. This is a guide about removing ink from leather.

June 9, 2008 Flag

My children's school work got wet and the ink transferred to my light beige leather car seats. I could read the school work on my seats. I went to this site quickly before I left for work. I grabbed a few items suggested: alcohol, hairspray, soap and worked on the spots at red lights. Nothing worked.

I went into work and someone told me about Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It's by the cleaning products in the store. It worked! No fading. I even tried it on a old rust spot on my sink I could never get out, and it worked. I had to submit this today.

By Ami from Shorewood, IL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you. Magic Eraser did it. Blue ink from waitresses pen when signing the check which got all over me and thankfully only a small area on my new light tan leather purse. I'm going to also rub a little leather polish as suggested to coat it. Love The Magic.

March 2, 2010 Flag

Try hairspray! I had a blue pen and the ink went on my fingers. I went to push the stool in and it went on the stool. I tried Jif, bleach and alcohol, they all didn't work. When it came to hairspray, it came straight off with just one wipe down.

So if you have any leather that has been marked with ink, don't stop and think that it's a scar for life. Let me tell you that hairspray was the best product I ever used!

By Olivia from Bexley, NSW

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

hairspray didn't work

January 19, 2017 Flag

White Leather Background

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can use the same methods for cleaning ink off of a white leather jacket as you would use on other leather clothing or furniture. This is a guide about removing ink stains on a white leather jacket.

January 18, 2017 Flag

Leather Purse

If you get pen marks on a leather purse it can be difficult to get cleaned off. This is a guide about removing pen on a leather purse.

January 18, 2017 Flag

The interior of a car with brown leather seats.

This is a guide about removing ink on leather car upholstery. Ink can be a tricky stain to remove from leather without doing damage to the finish.

June 15, 2010 Flag

A client of mine accidentally made a long ink pen line on the leather in my Cadillac. I tried all of the suggested removal methods and they did not remove the ink. Finally, I decided to call Dr. Vinyl in Naples, FL to have the area redyed.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 6, 2010 Flag

One way to remove ink from a light color leather chair is to use BB (Bumble and Bumble) styling spray. Spritz on ink spot and let sit for 1 to 2 seconds, then wipe off. It might take 2x to completely remove most of the stain. You won't see it as badly after the first time.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 12, 2017 Flag

Several days ago I purchased a used Michael Kors vanilla leather wallet. I noticed that it had pen ink stains on the inside of the closure. I don't know how or what to use to remove that ink stain without damaging the wallet. Any suggestions? I have included 2 pics of my wallet; hope this helps. Thank you!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Coconut oil. It will get it off. Rub on the area with the ink stains and then cover the entire area. Wipe with dry rag. Another solution is Murphys oil soap.

I have a lot of leather items and have tried many types of stain removers (I have never used an oil as I thought it would stain the leather even more?) but leather cleaners and restorers from an automotive department/store usually helps a lot.

June 7, 2011 Flag

How do I remove ball point ink from leather?

By nfeeney

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. However it may take off the leather dye, too, so check first on an inconspicuous spot.

I tried tea tree oil on my pseudo leather jacket and the bird stains disappeared without damaging the fabric

June 1, 2011 Flag

How would I remove a blue Biro mark from a white leather jacket?

By Jemma

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

White toothpaste works for me but be sure to test a hidden area first.

I swear by doctor power by JML I've had my white leather suite less than 2 weeks and little man accidentally got pen and felt tip on it. Doctor power removes it like magic. I've used it for years it cleans anything with no damage no house should be without a tub. I tried the so called ink leather cleaner sachet once and it actually damaged the leather. So no going back for me. Doctor power all the way.

May 16, 2011 Flag

I have tried all the tips and tricks suggested but nothing has worked! Any other idea on how to remove blue pen ink from tan leather?

By Silver C

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This will sound unlikely but as long as it is leather and not suede; just spray the ink with a little hair spray/lacquer and it should rub off with a cloth. It works on a lot of different surfaces but don't try it on anything which has a nap, like suede and fabric.

I have used this often and it does work, this was a tip I picked up from watching the 'How clean is your house' team, Kim and Aggie on tv.

It worked ! thanks

January 31, 2011 Flag

To remove ink from leather, spray with hairspray then wipe away. Test first on an inconspicuous place

By katesnanna from Brisbane, Australia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Gosh what does the hairspray do to one's head then?

The reason hairspray is used for removing stains is because it has a high alcohol content. You could use isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol in it's place. I don't think hairspray is particularly good for your hair.

January 11, 2005 Flag

I need help taking off ink that busted in the pocket and got all over my leather jacket. It's really bad. Can you please help me. Thanks.

Sabrina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

if you jacket is white you can use hand sanitizer. If you have a darker jacjet try mr clean magic eraser or goo gone.

I've had great success removing ink using plain old rubbing alcohol, even on fine Italian leathers. The little first-aid kit packets are great as they are highly saturated and if you don't unfold them...they have a nice thin edge for precision. I always wash off the alcohol with a damp cloth after the ink is gone and then condition the leather since alcohol is drying. Good luck!

March 27, 2015 Flag

How can I remove blue ink from a red Coach leather wallet?

By Lucille

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 11, 2014 Flag

Help! I just found two black stains on my beautiful new(ish) soft red leather handbag. I got the bag as a gift. I cannot believe that I had a leaky pen that seeped right through from the inside of the bag to the outside. It looks horrible.

I'm grateful that I can at least keep the stained side of the bag worn close to me, and not have the awful stain revealed. Is there any way to clean these blotchy stains off safely, without ruining the leather?

By JaydeE from Yorkshire, UK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 1, 2011 Flag

I need information for removing ink from leather.

By Sue

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 26, 2010 Flag

How do I get ink off a leather truck seat?

By Penny from AR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 1, 2011 Flag

My son bought a suede jacket for his fiance and it has ink on it. What do we do to get the ink out?

By Laurel from Jewett City, CT

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A plain white eraser should work

November 26, 2009 Flag

My car seats are red leather. I have a 1/2 inch blue ink stain on my back seat. How can I clean it off?

Michelle

Answers:

Removing Ink From Red Leather

Simply use aftershave or alcohol to remove this stain. (02/01/2005)

By xxfayxx

Removing Ink From Red Leather

I don't know if alcohol would work. I would think it would strip the leather of its colour? I used an antibacterial facial cleanser and it did the trick (phisohex). (04/01/2005)

By Crystal

Removing Ink From Red Leather

I've always heard that hairspray removes ink. (08/29/2005)

By BrookesMommy

Removing Ink From Red Leather

I have a soft red leather purse by Coach (very expensive $500) and I marked it with a black ball point pen. I used antibacterial on a Kleenex to remove it. It took the pen mark right off. As I applied it I poured water over it to remove the alcohol from the purse as soon as possible. It did remove the ink and some of the red color (barely) off the purse. I wished I applied the antibacterial to a Q-tip instead of a Kleenex and rubbed it off softly in layers with the water. I'm pretty sure red shoe polish will buff it right out. (03/07/2008)

By Kelli

Removing Ink From Red Leather

Antibacterial hand sanitizer worked like a charm. I massaged a small amount onto the stain with my finger tip. The ballpoint ink is gone and leather is fine, no discoloration. (10/16/2008)

By Barbara

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Used a cotton swab dipped in perfume and it worked like magic on my genuine beige leather sofa

January 31, 2011 Flag

How do you remove blue ink from a red leather settee?

By Lynnl from Dumfires

Answers:

Removing Ink From Red Leather

Antibacterial hand sanitizer works like a charm. You can actually see the ink lifting before your eyes! Then, blot with cotton balls. (01/28/2010)

By getgoing

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just had ball point marks removed from my leather dress. (very light -gold colour) and it came sparkling clean. Good old anti-bacterial handsanitizer.

March 1, 2007 Flag

How can I clean an ink stain off my tan leather seat?

Marianna

Answers:

Ink Stain on Leather

the anit-bacterial gel did remove the ink mark off my green couch, although it took a layer of the leather off... now the couch is kindof peeling where I put the gel.. and you can notice a little discoloration.. but probably better than before with the ink stains... just be careful before you try this and maybe try on a spot in the back or something. (08/24/2006)

By Ben

Ink Stain on Leather

I just tried the anibacterial soap on an ink stain that was on my truck seat. It worked great! You can barely see it. (08/28/2006)

By Donna

Ink Stain on Leather

I used a combo of the anti-bacterial hand gel and hairspray to get almost all of the ball point pen ink stain off of my tan leanther sofa. Then, I used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser soaked in hot water to finish the job. The hairspray seemed to also start to remove the grain of the leather, so I would use it sparingly and with caution. Thanks for all of your tips! 9/5/06 (09/05/2006)

By Stacy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use nail polish remover

March 1, 2010 Flag

I'm freaking out. My year old wrote with ink in quite a few areas on my new leather ottoman. I tried aftershave and hairspray and it's taking some of the clear coat off of the leather and leaving a rubbed off white mark.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 23, 2010 Flag

How do I remove ink marks from light brown leather?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 26, 2010 Flag

How do you get ink stains off a leather couch?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 10, 2009 Flag

I have some leather purses with ink on them. Can anyone tell me what I could possibly use to remove the ink?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning LeatherNovember 9, 2011
Products
99 Percent Isopropyl Alcoho
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
White Leather Background
Removing Ink Stains on a White Leather Jacket
Removing Ink on Leather Car Upholstery
Leather Purse
Removing Pen on a Leather Purse
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 15, 2017 at 11:57:15 AM on 10.0.2.145 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.