Removing Label Residue On Bottles

I have lots of empty medicine bottles. I like to use them for all kinds of things like salad dressing in a lunch box, toothpick holder for purse, etc. The one problem I have is getting all the sticky stuff off of the bottle after I remove the label. I take the label off and soak the bottle in water. I've used Goo Gone and tried scraping gently with a knife, but the outside is still sticky. Is there a good way to remove the residue?

Grandma B from Coshocton, OH

Answers:

Removing Label Residue On Bottles

Try using eucalyptus oil. I saw it on "How Clean is Your House." It worked at removing stickers, etc. (10/13/2008)

By Sara

Removing Label Residue On Bottles

A great product called Goo Gone works like a charm! You can find it at Walmart, and just recently I found it at the Dollar Tree. It has a nice smell as well. It even takes off old tape and all kinds of sticky stuff. Good luck! (10/13/2008)

Removing Label Residue On Bottles

I have had luck with using your fingernail and loosening the short end of the label a bit all the way down until you can get a little bit of a grip on it. You want it where it pulls up clean without leaving paper or traces of residue. Really slowly pull the label off. If you do it too fast it will leave more of the sticky stuff behind. (Sorry, it's harder to describe than I thought.) Then if there are a few bits of sticky residue, I have used cooking oil on a cotton ball.

Sometimes on jars with hard to remove labels, I fill the inside of the jar with hot water to loosen the glue. Sometimes it loosens the glue easily, sometimes it makes it stickier. (10/14/2008)

By Kaelle

Removing Label Residue On Bottles

Use nail polish remover. It works great! (10/15/2008)

By my-secret

Removing Label Residue On Bottles

I wanted to share that I use a vegetable spray (Like Pam or Mazola, or any store brand) to remove the labels and sticky residue that is left. Just 'spritz' the label (mush around with your finger if you want, but just keep the label wet). Let sit about 10 min.

Scrape off the paper label, then 'spritz' again and let sit another few minutes. I've used this method many times on many things and it's much easier then the scraping. I have tried GOO GONE in the past but it never seemed to work for me. :( And the Pam spray is much cheaper and usually in the cabinet. (10/15/2008)

By Simply Joyful

Removing Label Residue On Bottles

I use a hair dryer to remove sticky labels. It usually leaves no residue. (10/15/2008)

By Pat

Removing Label Residue On Bottles

I usually use WD40; spray it on, let it sit, peel the label off, wipe any residue with a paper towel, then wash them all in soapy water. Looks like more steps than it is. I have even used it to successfully remove sticker residue inside pricey leather shoes with no ill after effects. Good luck! (10/15/2008)

By purrplekat

Removing Label Residue On Bottles

Lighter fluid works and has never let me down! (10/24/2008)

By Shell

Removing Label Residue On Bottles

Lighter fluid works every time. (12/11/2008)

By bestbiddy

Removing Label Residue On Bottles
Old Perfume Bottle
Uses for Old Perfume Bottles
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Removing a bandaid and leaving behind some adhesive residue.
Removing Adhesive Residue on Skin
Empty Wine Bottles
Finding Empty Wine Bottles
🎉
🎄