Removing Labels from New Windows

Removing the labels from new windows can be surprisingly difficult. This is a guide about removing labels from new windows.

February 3, 2005 Flag

I just got new windows installed in my house. They have left plastic stickers and small plastic bags glued to the windows. I have tried the antibacterial lotion but it didn't work. This is really strong adhesive. Please help. My beautiful windows look horrible with these plastic bags glued to them.

Molly

Best Answer

I have found that WD-40 sprayed on the stickey residue works great....spray, let it penetrate, then rub off with a clean, dry cloth

Best Answer

We had the same thing with our new windows. We pealed off as much of the sticker as we could and then drenched what was left with WD-40, let it sit for a while and then use the side of a credit card to scrape the residue off. Repeat if necessary. Then wipe off as much of the WD-40 as you can with a paper towel and wash the window as usual. Works great.

Best Answer

I tried a few of the above last night to no avail, then I rang the window manufacturers (in this case Velux) and they said hot soapy water! I nearly laughed at them, but guess what? It worked! It was like the heat or soap changed the consistency of the glue from hard and unmovable to stretchy and with very little effort was removed.

Loobs

My new windows had glue and stickers on them. I succesfully used cooking oil followed immediately by windex.

We just installed new windows with the UV ray protection and read not to use razor blades on them. I've cleaned and cleaned and couldn't get the glue off. I read one of the feedback saying to use WD-40, but didn't have any so I used my GIBBS Brand Lubricant that works on everything and had heard you could clean your glass with it... Well, I used the GIBBS on the sticky stuff and it worked like a CHARM! Besides that, it cleaned my glass with no hazy film which you'd expect from a LUBRICANT! Thanks once again GIBBS!

WD40 WORKED GREAT. Just make sure you wash it off. It can be toxic to kids.

HOT WATER and soap works! Thanks for the hint.

Hey, I know this is a bit later than most people have posted, but I have a great way to remove all sorts of adhesives from glass. A while ago i bought a car that had cheaply tinted windows. After removing the tints, the windows were covered with baked on, nasty adhesive. I couldn't scrape it off. I talked to a guy at a tinting shop, and he said that they use cold cream. I had no clue what it was being a 16 yr old guy. Apparently the womenfolk use it to take their makeup off or something. Anyways, I bought some at my local store (its in the make up aisle) and applied it to my windows. I waited about half an hour, and voila, the adhesive came right off. Cold cream turns the adhesive into a sort of snotty texture. all you need is something to take it off with... Good stuff.

Ok People! My blue tape was on my Pella metal glad Windows sun baking for 8 YEARS! I read all the comments here. I had tried goof off and goo be gone before. I decide to go with the advice of the woman who called the Vellux manufacturer. Who said, "Usehot soapy water". To my shock with a little elbow grease and a soft rag, and a kitchen stainless steel scrubber ball in stubborn spots, it was removed with ease!

February 24, 2006 Flag

We recently bought a house and the outside windows have the installation manufacturer's paper labels still glued to the glass. I found out from the neighbor that these labels have been on the windows for a least a year. I've tried Windex and Vaseline (what a mess) and they're not budging. I don't want to use a razor blade. What will remove the labels?

nancymaloney from Schertz, TX

If the windows are glass, a single edge razor blade would be easy to use.

Spray flyspray on the sticker. Sounds mad but my husband is a shopfitter and has done this for years. Works well. Should wipe off.

Rub plain old peanut butter on the labels. Let it set overnight and see how it is doing. May need another application if real stubborn. Works wonders for anything stuck on anything. I learned this from my 85 yr. old wise MIL

You can use WD-40 or GOO-B-GONE

Will be oily, so you will have to use hot water & soap to clean the window before you can wash it

I have used a product from the hardware store, Lowe's I think.It is called "Oops". It is in the paint section of the store where the paint removers are. I had used it to remove the registration sticker from my car windshield.

The people that clean new houses use razor blades for this along with Goo Gone or DeSolvIt. You can try using a scraper, like a Tupperware scraper you would use for pots and pans. The razor blade will not scratch the glass as long as it is wet. Good luck! Those stickers are a pain! They should be outlawed!

tRY HEATING THE LABELS UP WITH A HAIR DRYER. iT MELTS THE GLUE UNDERNEATH AND THEY WILL COME RIGHT OFF. THIS WORKS FOR ALMOST ANY KIND OF STICKY LABEL.

I USED HAIR CONDITIONER ON MY WINDOWS IN FLORIDA AFTER THE HURRICANES TO GET TAPE OFF, IT WORKED GREAT.

I have had the same problem and I used the peanut butter method. It worked fantastic!!

I've always used lighter fluid to remove kids stickers. Squirt, spray or rub it on so it soaks into the window sticker and then remove with a razor. Lighter fluid also works great to remove permanent marker on wooden floors or tables. A handy thing to have around for all sorts of gooey messes.

May 17, 2012 Flag

How can I remove a label from new window?

By Barb W.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Oil. Vegetable oil. Spray or sponge some on. Let it set. Any spots that do not look wet need more oil. Dab some more on these spots. Let set till all of it looks wet. Rub with paper towels till it all comes off. Stubborn spots? Put more oil and wait about 10 min. Rub again. It will come off. Then just wash the window as usual to remove the oil.

Try using a hairdryer...

I peel off as much as I can by hand, and then whatever is left I give it a big shot of laundry spray, like spray and wash. Let I soak in for 15 minutes or so, and the rest of the sticker will come out!

June 6, 2010 Flag

What can I use to clean off glue from a sticker on a tinted window?

By Leticia from Woodbridge, CA

i have good luck with Goo Gone, bought at supermarkets, target, walmart, etc.

I've also used cooking oil with good success.

Maybe nail polish remover?

Rubbing alcohol?

Good Luck!

There is a product called "Un-do" that gets the sticky residue off of most anything you use it on, including postage stamps. And with the stamps, you can even reuse them! I love it. I keep this product in the house at all times. Good luck. I know it will work.

I think at the end of the day, we will all find out "Goo-Gone" was nothing more than a repackaged bottle of Old English. So I recommend Old English.

Home and Garden Cleaning WindowsApril 24, 2012
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
Building with Recycled Windows
Installing a New Window
Hiring Someone to Replace Your Windows
🎉
🎄