Removing Masking Tape from Windows

Masking tape that is left too long on windows can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing masking tape from windows.

November 21, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing masking tape from tinted windows. Removing masking tape from tinted windows can be very tricky as the tinting material can be damaged in the process.

Windows with a masking tape "x" in the center, for protection.

June 11, 2011 Flag

I used masking tape to frame up a window and I left it there too long. The tape has now dried up and is hard to remove. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By Frank M.

Best Answer

If it is on the glass, carefully use a razor scraper. Quick and easy.

Best Answer

Soften adhesive with cheap mineral spirits and scrape with razor blade. Easy as A-B-C.

Ditto with carefully using a razor blade. A single edged blade would be the safest. You can purchase them at any hardware, home improvement and even beauty supply stores.

Try heating it up with a blow dryer if all else fails.

March 1, 2011 Flag

I taped windows up for Cyclone Yasi. Now I am confronted with the sticky layer from masking tape over the glass. I tried metho and eucalyptus oil. Do you have any suggestions, please?

By M

Best Answer

There's a product called Goo Gone that takes adhesive backing residue from stuff. I had a label on a bathtub unable to remove until using this product.

Best Answer

Mineral spirits! I just tried lots of different stuff to clean my windows and my husband handed me a can of Mineral spirits. Whew, so much easier...

Fingernail/toenail polish remover almost always works. Use a cotton ball to get the majority of the adhesive off first. It will take a bit of elbow grease but after most of the residue is gone, you can follow up with a dampened SOS pad and glass cleaner: Usually, the adhesive will disappear. This process also works well on glass bottles that you would like to reuse without the manufactures' labels. Good Luck. :)

If the residue is dried hard from the heat or sun, use a razor blade at about a 45 degree angle to the glass and you'll find it scrapes off easily. If it is still gooey then, like the other posters said, use Goo Gone. It's amazing stuff. Make sure it is "Goo Gone" though and not "Goo Off" - it doesn't work nearly as well.

June 30, 2008 Flag

I was painting my window frames on my house last year, and forgot to remove the blue painters tape. I have tried razors, soaking it, everything I can think of, and it will not budge. It seems to have baked on. Please, I'd appreciate any tips!

Alyssa from MO

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The longer you leave it on, like past 12 hours, it just ripps and shreds and is very hard to get off. I have done this many times with the sun baking it on or a furnace drying it. If you do a small area at a time, (2-3 feet) you can soak it with a wet sponge and wait about two minutes and repeat soak it. It will usually come loose. Sometimes I soak it a third time. If you try to soak too much of an area, it will just dry again. Just keep it very wet for at least 3 to 4 minutes.

If you have any spots with 2 layers, peel of the first layer and soak the second layer before trying to remove it. Don't attempt to use a razor or scraper except on glass.

i don't know if this would work or not. but, the 1st thing that popped into my head was wallpaper remover. good luck!

How about using a hairdryer to melt whatever glue is left? I've never tried it, but it might work!

Thanks. I'll try both. I saw a commercial on TV this weekend for the painters tape that said it will come off even after months of being on.....ha ha ha. I laughed.

March 29, 2010 Flag

How do I remove masking tape from PVC windows?

By rodge68 from Ireland

Best Answer

I believe any oil soap will do the job, or WD 40 > which is a spray multi purpose lubricant. Spray the area with the lubricant, leave to soak in for 30 minutes. Using a plastic spatula/scraper, remove the tape. When all the tape is removed, wash the area with hot soapy water, rinse & dry. Your PVC window will be perfect. Have a Great Day!

Have you tried nail polish remover? It might work, good luck.

Home and Garden Cleaning WindowsNovember 21, 2016
Tape on windows.
Cleaning Tape Off Windows
Uses for Masking Tape
Uses for Masking Tape
Masking Tape
Crafts Using Masking Tape
🎄