Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Mildew Smell from Clothes

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Removing Mildew Smell from Clothes

The clothes have been cleaned, but the odor is still present. This guide is about removing mildew smell from clothes.

Here are questions related to Removing Mildew Smell from Clothes.

Question: Removing Mold and Mildew Smell from Clothes

Our laundry room flooded due to clogged pipes. We were away and when we got back everthing was soaked. All you can smell is a mold. I am very allergic to both mold and mildew. Is there a way to get rid of the smell from our clothes, or is it a lost cause?

By frazzeled2000 from Portola, CA

Question: Mildew Odors on Clothes

I can't seem to get rid of mildew odors from my clothes. I never once had this problem before. I don't have a dryer to dry the clothes. I heard vinegar is good to get rid of smell but will your clothes smell like vinegar? I put my clothes on the racks and over the radiators. I don't know what to do anymore.

Heavenly from Canada

Most Recent Answer

By Mandy01/11/2008

Boy do I have a solution for all you! I bought this fabulous wool coat from a second hand store a few weeks ago but the only problem with it was that it reeked of mildew. I decided that the sweater was worth the challenge of removing the smell so I bought it. As you know, wool is one of the toughest clothing materials to remove mildew smells from but I wanted to try. If nothing else has worked for you, follow my system... it's worth the time and effort cause IT WORKED. So, I soaked the coat in a vinegar/water bath for 24 hours. (Make sure that the mix is about 75% vinegar to 25% water.) During that 24 hours I "churned" the coat to make sure that every single inch was consistently absorbing the bath. Then I washed it and hung it out to dry. About 50% of the smell had been removed so then, and you're going to love this, I was out of baking soda so I put the coat into a new bath of water mixed with a baking soda based CAT LITTER DEODORIZER. I laughed as I did this, but what kills smells better than cat litter deodorizer! (I used the one by Arm % Hammer btw.) I soaked and churned the coat in this new bath for another 24 hours and then washed and bleached it, using a non-chlorine color safe bleach, hung it out to dry and wha-la! No smell! Seriously folks, this coat had a gag-worthy smell and my system worked. So, everyone who says that using vinegar, baking soda, and bleach individually don't work, use ALL of them but include the cat deodorizer. Your welcome. Xoxo.

Solutions: Removing Mildew Smell from Clothes

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!