Removing Mildew Smell from Clothes

The clothes have been cleaned, but the odor is still present. This guide is about removing mildew smell from clothes.

Removing Mildew Smell from Clothes

February 10, 2007 Flag

I can't seem to get rid of mildew odors from my clothes. I never once had this problem before. I don't have a dryer to dry the clothes. I heard vinegar is good to get rid of smell but will your clothes smell like vinegar? I put my clothes on the racks and over the radiators. I don't know what to do anymore.

Heavenly from Canada

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If they don't dry fast enough they will smell like mildew, plain and simple. If you have a load that mildew smell is abound in, vinegar will do the trick. And no they won't smell like vinegar. A cup of Borax and a cup of vinegar in the rinse load will take it out.

My suggestions for drying clothes. If you have to do it at home, do it on a rack next to the radiator (I did laundry in a tub in my shower many a times and dryed this way in my single days). Or if you have a small bathroom, rack up all the clothes, hang some on the shower stall and stick a small heater inside the bathroom, or a rotating fan, leave on until dry.

Or just wash all the laundry, save some quarters and take to the laundry mat, those dryers can dry up the ocean if you put enough quarters in there, they are HOT!

wash them in baking soda and let them soak for a while. I get all kinds of odors out of stuff by doing this. once in a while it'll take a couple of runs through the washer but it does work. They say use a cup of baking soda to a load but if the odor is really bad I use more. Its never hurt our clothes and I now add it to every load I wash odors or not. Another bonus is it cuts through soap/ softner build up in your clothes and makes towels soft without affecting their absorbancy!

Depending on the fabric, as long as it is not wool or rayon, you can put 1/2 a cup of bleach down in the water with the detergent as it is filling. Add the clothes and let it soak for about 10 minutes. This will remove the smell. For the past 2 years, I have tried to rarely use my dryer. I hang everything I can on a hanger. For socks and underwear, I hang them on a hanger with clothespins by lining them up and hanging them by the edge. Allow adquate air space when things dry and they won't smell.

See "washing machine smell" listing on this website!

Home and Garden Cleaning MoldAugust 3, 2012
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
Guy holding his nose because of bad odors.
Getting Rid of Mildew Odors in a House
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Photo of a tent set up in the woods.
Removing Mildew from a Tent