Removing Mildew Smell from Clothes

The clothes have been cleaned, but the odor is still present. This guide is about removing mildew smell from clothes.

Removing Mildew Smell from Clothes
Filter Sort

Question: Mildew Odors on Clothes

I can't seem to get rid of mildew odors from my clothes. I never once had this problem before. I don't have a dryer to dry the clothes. I heard vinegar is good to get rid of smell but will your clothes smell like vinegar? I put my clothes on the racks and over the radiators. I don't know what to do anymore.

Heavenly from Canada

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Mandy 1 Flag

Boy do I have a solution for all you! I bought this fabulous wool coat from a second hand store a few weeks ago but the only problem with it was that it reeked of mildew. I decided that the sweater was worth the challenge of removing the smell so I bought it. As you know, wool is one of the toughest clothing materials to remove mildew smells from but I wanted to try. If nothing else has worked for you, follow my system... it's worth the time and effort cause IT WORKED. So, I soaked the coat in a vinegar/water bath for 24 hours. (Make sure that the mix is about 75% vinegar to 25% water.) During that 24 hours I "churned" the coat to make sure that every single inch was consistently absorbing the bath. Then I washed it and hung it out to dry. About 50% of the smell had been removed so then, and you're going to love this, I was out of baking soda so I put the coat into a new bath of water mixed with a baking soda based CAT LITTER DEODORIZER. I laughed as I did this, but what kills smells better than cat litter deodorizer! (I used the one by Arm % Hammer btw.) I soaked and churned the coat in this new bath for another 24 hours and then washed and bleached it, using a non-chlorine color safe bleach, hung it out to dry and wha-la! No smell! Seriously folks, this coat had a gag-worthy smell and my system worked. So, everyone who says that using vinegar, baking soda, and bleach individually don't work, use ALL of them but include the cat deodorizer. Your welcome. Xoxo.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Mildew on Down Jacket

I washed my down jacket; it is very heavy. I thought it was dry. I put it away in a very large zip lock bag, I opened it up 4 weeks later, and when I took it out it was very heavy and has a very strong odor of mildew. How do I clean it?

By Joe

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Mold and Mildew Smell from Clothes

By frazzeled2000 1

Our laundry room flooded due to clogged pipes. We were away and when we got back everthing was soaked. All you can smell is a mold. I am very allergic to both mold and mildew. Is there a way to get rid of the smell from our clothes, or is it a lost cause?

By frazzeled2000 from Portola, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Cleaning MoldAugust 3, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Guy holding his nose because of bad odors.
Getting Rid of Mildew Odors in a House
Mildew Smell in Car
Getting Rid of Mildew Smell in a Car
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Photo of a tent set up in the woods.
Removing Mildew from a Tent
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:37:48 AM on 10.0.2.55 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings