Browsing: Removing Mildew Smell from Clothes

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Mildew Smell from Clothes

The clothes have been cleaned, but the odor is still present. This guide is about removing mildew smell from clothes.

Removing Mildew Smell from Clothes

February 10, 2007 Flag

I can't seem to get rid of mildew odors from my clothes. I never once had this problem before. I don't have a dryer to dry the clothes. I heard vinegar is good to get rid of smell but will your clothes smell like vinegar? I put my clothes on the racks and over the radiators. I don't know what to do anymore.

Heavenly from Canada

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

wash them in baking soda and let them soak for a while. I get all kinds of odors out of stuff by doing this. once in a while it'll take a couple of runs through the washer but it does work. They say use a cup of baking soda to a load but if the odor is really bad I use more. Its never hurt our clothes and I now add it to every load I wash odors or not. Another bonus is it cuts through soap/ softner build up in your clothes and makes towels soft without affecting their absorbancy!

Depending on the fabric, as long as it is not wool or rayon, you can put 1/2 a cup of bleach down in the water with the detergent as it is filling. Add the clothes and let it soak for about 10 minutes. This will remove the smell. For the past 2 years, I have tried to rarely use my dryer. I hang everything I can on a hanger. For socks and underwear, I hang them on a hanger with clothespins by lining them up and hanging them by the edge. Allow adquate air space when things dry and they won't smell.

See "washing machine smell" listing on this website!

Boy do I have a solution for all you! I bought this fabulous wool coat from a second hand store a few weeks ago but the only problem with it was that it reeked of mildew. I decided that the sweater was worth the challenge of removing the smell so I bought it. As you know, wool is one of the toughest clothing materials to remove mildew smells from but I wanted to try. If nothing else has worked for you, follow my system... it's worth the time and effort cause IT WORKED. So, I soaked the coat in a vinegar/water bath for 24 hours. (Make sure that the mix is about 75% vinegar to 25% water.) During that 24 hours I "churned" the coat to make sure that every single inch was consistently absorbing the bath. Then I washed it and hung it out to dry. About 50% of the smell had been removed so then, and you're going to love this, I was out of baking soda so I put the coat into a new bath of water mixed with a baking soda based CAT LITTER DEODORIZER. I laughed as I did this, but what kills smells better than cat litter deodorizer! (I used the one by Arm % Hammer btw.) I soaked and churned the coat in this new bath for another 24 hours and then washed and bleached it, using a non-chlorine color safe bleach, hung it out to dry and wha-la! No smell! Seriously folks, this coat had a gag-worthy smell and my system worked. So, everyone who says that using vinegar, baking soda, and bleach individually don't work, use ALL of them but include the cat deodorizer. Your welcome. Xoxo.

Read More Answers...
Home and Garden Cleaning MoldAugust 3, 2012
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
Guy holding his nose because of bad odors.
Getting Rid of Mildew Odors in a House
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Photo of a tent set up in the woods.
Removing Mildew from a Tent
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 1:05:56 AM on 10.0.2.51 in 878 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.