Removing Mildew from Books

Hello,
Does anyone know how I might be able to remove mildew from books? Our old yearbooks from school have mildew on the front and back covers. Thanks.

Theresa in Southern CA

Answers:

Removing Mildew from Books

My best advice would be to brush off as much as possible, then wipe them down with a damp cloth with a little bleach (1 tbs. per cup of water), let them sit for a few minutes to give the bleach time to work. Then rinse with a damp cloth with clear water (use only a damp cloths so you don't get the covers too wet.) You might want to use a little Pledge on them after you finish and they are totally dry. That will seal the covers so hopefully they won't mildew again.

Susan (10/09/2001)

Removing Mildew from Books

Please do not use bleach on books. Even a very diluted amount will eat through the paper. The best thing to do is put the book, if possible, in the freezer. That immediately kills the mold. Then take out of the freezer (at least one day later) and take rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab and wipe the mold off the book. Then put outside on a sunny day to help take the mold smell out. But don't leave the book out over night.

(11/09/2004)

Removing Mildew from Books

I have heard that a (very) short time in the microwave will kill mold and mildew. I'm not sure if it removes the smell though. (08/18/2007)

By Robert

Removing Mildew from Books

I tried the microwave thing on some very old Dick and Jane Readers from 1946. I think it helped. I did 10 seconds each book. There is still some odor, but not as much. These books were "new/unused" and in original plastic package. The package was worse than the books. I guess books need air. I am going to try the sunshine thing, but not today, it's raining. (07/23/2008)

By Jo

Removing Mildew from Books

Try putting your books in a bag with baking soda for awhile, a couple of weeks, works pretty well although some smell may still remain in the binding. (05/24/2009)

By cheapiecheap

I used to press flowers in old telephone books. Haven't had a problem with mildew, but were it to happen, the pages can be ripped out.

Removing Mildew from Books
Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Saving Money on Audio Books
Saving Money on Audio Books
Photo of a tent set up in the woods.
Removing Mildew from a Tent
🎉
🎄