Removing Mold and Mildew From Curtains

Curtains
A difficult stain can develop when window coverings come in contact with moisture from condensation. This guide is about removing mold and mildew from curtains.

How do I clean curtains in a pop up camper? They are in good condition, I just want to freshen them. They do have a tiny bit of mildew on them, but are salvageable.

By Tina

Answers

What kind of fabric are they?

Have you tried vinegar? That usually works for me.

Visit http://www.popupexplorer.com

Do a search there and you'll get a lot of ideas about how to clean the curtains/canvas. It's a great site!

How do you get rid of mold on curtains without washing them?

If it's a shower curtain you want to remove mold from you can mix 1/4 cup of bleach in a quart spray bottle with water(fill the bottle full of water after you put bleach in it),spray where the mold is, you may need to do this a few times. Good luck.

If it is a shower curtain, you can just wash in the machine with bleach & soap. If it's regular curtains, I guess I would try a steamer. Black mold is very bad for your breathing. Good luck!

Hi... we had this problem really bad, but then solved it by spraying this 'Curtain magic' spray onto it that we found online. You can see it work while the guy is talking on the video... works well. http://removeho  om-curtains.html

Hope this helps you. Sally.

I have found a pair of stunning blue curtains that I would love to put up in my bedroom. But when I opened them up I saw that they are both riddled with Mildew. How do I get them clean? Please help!

By Claireuj from South Africa

Anonymous

I don't know if Good Housekeeping knows what they are talking about, but this is what they say about removing mold from various items, including fabric:

http://www.good  ent-mildew-jun02

I have some curtains that have mildew on them, it has been there awhile. When my mother died I found many sheets and curtains that she had collected moisture. I'd like to try to salvage what I can. Any ideas? Please help!

By Sharon

How do I remove mold from terrylene curtains?

By Libby from Australia

How do I remove mold from Curtains?

Thanks,
Jan from AK

Answers:

Removing Mold from Curtains

Do you mean mold or mildew? I had mildew on some white drapes, caused by too much humidity in the house and condensation on the windows. Sometimes I get a similar thing on my bathroom shower curtain if there gets to be too much humidity in the bathroom or if the curtain doesn't get a chance to dry out. Mildew is black and is very thin. It won't rub off. I just laundered these white drapes as usual, with a warm wash and regular detergent. I likely used Tide. I do the same with the shower curtain. It washes right off. These would be polyester fabrics.

My mother sometimes used to get mildew on whites if she sprinkled them for ironing, and then didn't finish all of the ironing on that day and the damp clothes sat in the basket in the hot summer. If you get mildew on cottons, it is harder to remove. You may have to use bleach and hang it in the sun to remove the stain.

If you mean mold like you get on bread or on fruit, or that poisonous black mold that makes people ill, I have had no experience with that on cloth. I would suggest washing and bleaching; use a hot water wash. Hang in the sunlight after drying in the dryer. Heat and sunlight and bleach kill mold and mildew spores.

I suspect that it is mildew that you have, which is relatively easy to get rid of, and not really harmful. (08/23/2007)

By louel53

Removing Mold from Curtains

A solution of 10% bleach and 90% water will kill mold, if that's what you have. You need to use gloves of course, and ideally have a lot of ventilation so you don't inhale a lot of bleach. I'd recommend you do the cleaning out doors. In the future, cleaning with products with vinegar can help retard mold growth. (11/02/2007)

By Alix