MoldCleaning

Removing Mold on Stored Christmas Decorations

Every year I store my outside decorations in giant totes in the garage. I've never had any issues. This year, I opened one up and all the wooden decor is covered with mold! Is there any way to save it? Some of it is old and I don't mind getting rid of it, but some are really cute pieces. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Wash in a weak solution of bleach, or hydrogen peroxide if they are coloured. Perhaps you need a new storage box!

Wipe down with bleach and a rag. Put through a quick cycle in your dishwasher after that. Remove and dry.

wipe what you can , with paper towels and water and ( put on plastic gloves) using a fine spray and diluted bleach... re wiping and drying until all gone.

I always attack mold in steps. i start with diluted vinegar then warm diluted color safe bleach if the former didn't work :)

Anonymous

We have had great success removing mold from real wood with Howard Feed-N-Wax Wood Preserver with Beeswax and Orange Oil. It cleans and protects. Use clean, soft cloths, changing them as needed.

This product was ordered by our local hardware. One could look the company up online.

Wash them using a diluted bleach water with gloves. You might also want to wear a mask and eye protection. Then you will need to review how you are going to store them the next time to avoid it happening again. I would also suggest investing in a dehumidifier.

Bleach and vinegar cut through mold. Store your decorations on a place where they will stay dry.