Browsing: Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing

It is great that there is no moth damage on those clothes, but getting rid of the smell can be a challenge. This guide is about removing mothball odor from clothing.

Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 23, 2016 Flag

I just got a great score of vintage fabric from an old barn sale. Some smells like moth balls really badly. Most has had some mouse poop/urine on it. The latter I know a wash will fix, but the mothballs?

Vinegar is my normal go to for things of annoyance. But cold, warm, hot water? I don't want to fade it out, I just want the stench gone.
Would I be better off soaking in a mix of baking soda and vinegar?
Help. Please.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Mouse urine and feces are a scare for the hantavirus. It is best to burn! Be sure to wear mask and gloves!

Have do you get the moth ball silver out b your house

Read More Answers...

July 14, 2014 Flag

I have a fur jacket that has been handed down to me, but it smells of moth balls. How can I get rid of the smell?

By Christine S

Do not put the item in your washing machine. I unfortunately went to this website first and true to the website I read after this did not work my the moth ball smell has transferred to my very expensive washing machine and ruined it. The smell is transferring to clothes I wash!!!!

Read More Answers...

May 27, 2015 Flag

I bought the most adorable purse and it arrived reeking of mothballs! The purse is made of plastic. All suggestions are appreciated!

Yeah, they are stinky aren't they? You need to remove the smell rather than try to mask it... since it may only smell worse!

I would try airing it outside for as long as possible, then possibly filling the bag directly or make a cheesecloth full of baking soda, tying it shut and leaving it in the bag to absorb some of the odors. You may need to change the baking soda a few times.

Leaving it in a sealed plastic bag in the freezer with the baking soda may help as well.

Good Luck!

March 6, 2011 Flag

How do I get rid of the moth ball smell on clothes?

By Scott from Boise, ID

I had washed this winter shirt about 5 times & could not get the smell out. You suggested vinegar & someone else also said baking powder! I did them both and it worked! Thank you so much.

I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING , VINEGAR SODA HANGING IN SUN NOTHING WILL WORK

Read More Answers...

November 4, 2010 Flag

How can you get the smell of mothballs out of a natural sheep's-wool lining of a leather jacket?

By Fitschen from IN

Just hang the item somewhere with air circulation, nearly empty closet, doorway, etc. and the odor will disappear in a few days. It might help to turn the jacket inside out.

Hang it in the sun. I had no luck just hanging my things, including shearling, outside - but when they were in the sun, the smell went away. good luck

Read More Answers...

July 27, 2013 Flag

How do I get rid of mothball smell on clothing? I have tried lots of fresh air, but the jacket still overpowers the senses. It is dry cleanable, but I do not want to spend the money if it won't come out.

By Bobbie D

Hope this works: Put the coat on a hanger and put it outside on a nice, sunny day. The sun will help. I had lost my leather jacket and when I got it back, it smelled awful. I did not want to dry clean it. I put it in the sun for a day or two and it was fine! Try it to see if this works. It can't hurt!

June 8, 2012 Flag

How do you get mothball odors out of your clothes?

By Christelle

Usually just airing them for a few days will take care of the odor. I have heard that using a clothes dryer set to air fluff will speed the process. I usually put mine on hangers and hand them where the air will circulate around them. I suppose you use a fan to help.

November 12, 2008 Flag

I bought brand new Playtex bras second hand. The catch is I can't get rid of the mothball smell. I've tried vinegar and left it in water over night. Yet the smell is still there. Any answers?

Manon

Instructions Difficulty: Moderate

Things You'll Need: Laundry Detergent, White Vinegar, Hangers, and biological odor remover

Step 1 Remove clothes from the closet and take them out of boxes, plastic bags or storage containers.

Step 2 Hang clothes outside on a nice day to let them air out.

Step 3 If clothes are washable, place 1 to 1 1/2 cup white vinegar in the load at the beginning of the wash cycle.

Step 4 Dry clothes outside, not in a clothes dryer.

Step 5 Use a biological odor-eliminating product. Follow instructions carefully.

Step 6 Be sure that all family members - especially grandma, who has used mothballs for a good portion of her life - understand the danger that mothballs pose.

http://www.ehow.com/how_155835_remove-mothball-odors.html

To clean the moth ball smell from scarves, I used Johnson's Bedtime Bath cleanser for babies. I put some in a sink full of water and soaked the items for about 30 minutes and then scrubbed and rinsed. They came out smelling pretty strong at first, but I let them air dry and after the second washing in the machine, smelled like everything else.

March 6, 2011 Flag

How do I get the mothball smell from my clothing? I've washed them 4 times.

By Donna from Athens, AL

October 29, 2010 Flag

I cannot get the smell of mothballs out of my clothing. I've washed them twice, hung them outside for 2 weeks, and just washed again with vinegar in the wash to no avail. Help!

By DorisB from Taylor, MI

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning ClothingJune 10, 2012
Cedar Chest
Removing Mothball Odor From a Cedar Chest
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Mothballs
Removing Mothball Odor from Washing Machine
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 10:05:16 PM on 10.0.0.77 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.