Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing

It is great that there is no moth damage on those clothes, but getting rid of the smell can be a challenge. This guide is about removing mothball odor from clothing.

March 23, 2016 Flag

I just got a great score of vintage fabric from an old barn sale. Some smells like moth balls really badly. Most has had some mouse poop/urine on it. The latter I know a wash will fix, but the mothballs?

Vinegar is my normal go to for things of annoyance. But cold, warm, hot water? I don't want to fade it out, I just want the stench gone.
Would I be better off soaking in a mix of baking soda and vinegar?
Help. Please.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try putting alot of cedar balls everywhere and get the Real cedar that smells the loudest

Mouse urine and feces are a scare for the hantavirus. It is best to burn! Be sure to wear mask and gloves!

Have do you get the moth ball silver out b your house

July 14, 2014 Flag

I have a fur jacket that has been handed down to me, but it smells of moth balls. How can I get rid of the smell?

By Christine S

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Spray with vinegar & water, 50/50 mixture until it's well wet. Then, leave it out in the fresh air to dry. Repeat the process until the odor is gone. However, if this doesn't eliminate the smell after a couple of tries you could also try using baking soda water, again, a 50/50 solution and let it air dry as well. Leave it out in the air for several days, as fresh air helps more than anything else. The combination of both treatments should work, but then dry cleaning would be an easier remedy - just a lot more costly.

Do not put the item in your washing machine. I unfortunately went to this website first and true to the website I read after this did not work my the moth ball smell has transferred to my very expensive washing machine and ruined it. The smell is transferring to clothes I wash!!!!

March 6, 2011 Flag

How do I get rid of the moth ball smell on clothes?

By Scott from Boise, ID

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The best solution is to use vinegar.

I had washed this winter shirt about 5 times & could not get the smell out. You suggested vinegar & someone else also said baking powder! I did them both and it worked! Thank you so much.

I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING , VINEGAR SODA HANGING IN SUN NOTHING WILL WORK

May 27, 2015 Flag

I bought the most adorable purse and it arrived reeking of mothballs! The purse is made of plastic. All suggestions are appreciated!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yeah, they are stinky aren't they? You need to remove the smell rather than try to mask it... since it may only smell worse!

I would try airing it outside for as long as possible, then possibly filling the bag directly or make a cheesecloth full of baking soda, tying it shut and leaving it in the bag to absorb some of the odors. You may need to change the baking soda a few times.

Leaving it in a sealed plastic bag in the freezer with the baking soda may help as well.

Good Luck!

November 4, 2010 Flag

How can you get the smell of mothballs out of a natural sheep's-wool lining of a leather jacket?

By Fitschen from IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you remove Mothball smell from woolen sweaters?

Harriet

Just hang the item somewhere with air circulation, nearly empty closet, doorway, etc. and the odor will disappear in a few days. It might help to turn the jacket inside out.

Hang it in the sun. I had no luck just hanging my things, including shearling, outside - but when they were in the sun, the smell went away. good luck

July 27, 2013 Flag

How do I get rid of mothball smell on clothing? I have tried lots of fresh air, but the jacket still overpowers the senses. It is dry cleanable, but I do not want to spend the money if it won't come out.

By Bobbie D

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hope this works: Put the coat on a hanger and put it outside on a nice, sunny day. The sun will help. I had lost my leather jacket and when I got it back, it smelled awful. I did not want to dry clean it. I put it in the sun for a day or two and it was fine! Try it to see if this works. It can't hurt!

June 8, 2012 Flag

How do you get mothball odors out of your clothes?

By Christelle

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Usually just airing them for a few days will take care of the odor. I have heard that using a clothes dryer set to air fluff will speed the process. I usually put mine on hangers and hand them where the air will circulate around them. I suppose you use a fan to help.

November 12, 2008 Flag

I bought brand new Playtex bras second hand. The catch is I can't get rid of the mothball smell. I've tried vinegar and left it in water over night. Yet the smell is still there. Any answers?

Manon

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Instructions Difficulty: Moderate

Things You'll Need: Laundry Detergent, White Vinegar, Hangers, and biological odor remover

Step 1 Remove clothes from the closet and take them out of boxes, plastic bags or storage containers.

Step 2 Hang clothes outside on a nice day to let them air out.

Step 3 If clothes are washable, place 1 to 1 1/2 cup white vinegar in the load at the beginning of the wash cycle.

Step 4 Dry clothes outside, not in a clothes dryer.

Step 5 Use a biological odor-eliminating product. Follow instructions carefully.

Step 6 Be sure that all family members - especially grandma, who has used mothballs for a good portion of her life - understand the danger that mothballs pose.

http://www.ehow  hball-odors.html

To clean the moth ball smell from scarves, I used Johnson's Bedtime Bath cleanser for babies. I put some in a sink full of water and soaked the items for about 30 minutes and then scrubbed and rinsed. They came out smelling pretty strong at first, but I let them air dry and after the second washing in the machine, smelled like everything else.

June 18, 2009 Flag

How do you remove the Moth Ball smell from clothing? I have just purchased some nice second hand clothing, which have been stored in moth balls. I have washed them in washing powder and Eucalyptus Oil but the smell is still there.

Jackie Y from Adelaide, Australia

Answers:

Removing Mothball Smell From Clothing

How do you remove mothball smell from clothes?

VJW from Lakeland, FL

Answers:

Removing Mothball Smell From Clothing

The best and least expensive way to remove mothball odor is to put them outside and let the clothes air. It may take some time but the smell will go away. (11/02/2006)

By Dean

Removing Mothball Smell From Clothing

Put them in your dryer on air dry with no heat, and toss in a few sheets of fabric softener and tumble for 20 minutes. The clothes will not smell of moth balls. (12/19/2006)

By Donna

Removing Mothball Smell From Clothing

I bought some beautiful sets of sheets at a garage sale a few summers back and just packed them away in a plastic bin. When I went to go use them they wreaked of mothball smell! I washed them, put them in the dryer and hung them out side on the clothes line! Nothing worked. So I just packed them away again. Several years later I had to move and needed to decide what to do with these beautiful but very smelly sets of sheets! So just just dumped them on the front porch for a while, in freezing cold temperatures! Now they don't smell anymore! Fresh air, and lots of it seems to be the best thing! (10/26/2007)

By A. Verdonk

Removing Mothball Smell From Clothing

Mothballs, Febreeze, fabric softeners, and dryer sheets are all very toxic. It will not protect you from the toxicity of mothballs to cover up the smell with other toxic scents. The best remedy is hanging outside but a vinegar rinse is a good start before hanging. I hang my things in the garage during winter months and even that seems to help. Add the vinegar to the rinse water as it will "fight" with any soap or detergent you use if you wash the item first. (10/30/2007)

Removing Mothball Smell From Clothing

Use baking soda, it takes a while to get rid of the odor, but it works. (07/31/2008)

By Old Man

Removing Mothball Smell From Clothing

Oh my, the hardest odor to remove, and very toxic. I just fill the washer, add a couple of cups of white vinegar, add the clothing, rotate a few minutes, then stop machine and let soak for an hour or two. Since you have already washed, just turn the machine on to complete the cycle. Have never heard of vinegar "fighting" with soap, but if some scent is still left, hang outside.

I have to laugh at people who spend their good money on all those odor remover products. I buy a gallon of white vinegar for about $1.75, and leave it by my washer. Anytime I detect odor in the laundry, I just add maybe a quarter cup, and all my laundry is odor free. I have also used it many times when shampooing carpeting, and any other odor problem. The owner of the Vinegar Co. says the law will not allow them to say it deodorizes and disinfects, but it's great and cheap. I have rental property and when they move, I grab the vinegar with my other cleaning products. LOL Ellen (08/20/2008)

By Ellen

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 6, 2011 Flag

How do I get the mothball smell from my clothing? I've washed them 4 times.

By Donna from Athens, AL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 29, 2010 Flag

I cannot get the smell of mothballs out of my clothing. I've washed them twice, hung them outside for 2 weeks, and just washed again with vinegar in the wash to no avail. Help!

By DorisB from Taylor, MI

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 29, 2010 Flag

How to remove the smell of moth balls from clothes.

It's easy and costs nothing (providing you have a steam iron).

Wash the garment then iron at the relevant setting. The heat from the iron releases the molecule causing the smell. You could also try this on dry clothes with the steam setting.

My advice is to set the ironing table up out of doors. As you see the steam blowing away you know the smell is going with it. Then hang the clothes outside to air. When you are sure they are completely dry, pop them into a plastic bag with some lavender and you will have your formerly unusable clothes back (the lavender step is optional - or use a cotton wool pad sprayed with your favourite perfume - be creative).

I have just retrieved a bag full of woolen garments this way. I washed the garments then set the iron on wool/steam and was amazed at the instant results. I've just brought my woolens in from the line and there is not a trace of the smell of moth balls (an hour ago the smell from them was making me sick).

I suppose carpets, curtains and upholstery can be steam cleaned as can vehicle interiors just remember to create as much ventilation and through draft as possible as the steam produced is carrying the smell.

I don't know about using steam on timber furniture. I read a post saying wetting timber only injects the smell further into the object, but maybe a question placed on the woodworking forums might produce a solution.

I agree with the writer who said this stuff should come with a warning and thanks to the Perth (Australia) writer who explained about the 'smell molecule' affected by heat.

Hope you have as much success as I did.

Love, Margaret from Brisbane Australia

Answers:

Removing Mothball Smell From Clothing

Never steam. I steamed a garment following this advice and the smell came back stronger than ever a few days later. Now nothing I do can remove it. It's been more than a month of washing and air drying. Steaming only causes the odor to penetrate deeper. (05/16/2010)

By JSJS

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 1, 2006 Flag

I put a bunch of clothes in a plastic container and then put in some moth balls since I was storing them in the basement. Now that I need to get into them they stink and washing them does not remove the smell. Can I soak them in anything to remove this smell permanently?

Misslilly from Holden, MO

Answers:

Request: Removing Mothball Smell From Clothes and Coats

Removing Mothball Smell From Clothing

The smell is actually a gas so airing them out is the best way I would think. I have the same problem and I am going to hang them out for a few days. (09/25/2006)

By kathleen

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 7, 2006 Flag

Last night while visiting my sister-in-law in her new home, she asked if I knew of any way to remove the smell of moth balls.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning ClothingJune 10, 2012
Cedar Chest
Removing Mothball Odor From a Cedar Chest
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Mothballs
Removing Mothball Odor from Washing Machine
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 18, 2017 at 10:45:02 AM on 10.0.2.50 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.