Removing Musty Odor From Clothes

I have gym clothes that I am ready to replace due to a musty smell. They are not too old and they appear to be in good condition otherwise. I only notice the smell once I am at the gym sweating and no it's not my sweat or b.o.! It really is the clothes.

I have a Whirlpool HE machine. Should I soak in borax? Or should I add vinegar to the fabric softener compartment and wash without soap on hot? Where do you put the borax in an HE machine as a laundry booster? Thanks!

By Gina from Philadelphia

Answers:

Removing Musty Odor From Clothes

You should be able to buy Borax in the larger chain grocery stores. You'll find it in the detergent section. Add 1 cup of white vinegar along with your detergent in every wash load. Vinegar is excellent for getting rid of odors and musty smells. (09/10/2010)

By MCW

Removing Musty Odor From Clothes

One cup of white vinegar added to washer filled with water and let it soak for at least an hour before running the load. Works great on towels, too. (09/13/2010)

By dlginlove

Removing Musty Odor From Clothes

One big problem is that too much detergent is used. One full tablespoon of HE detergent is more than enough. For towels, I add some vinegar also. Now for the machine: Leave the door open, wipe down the rubber gasket, and leave an old sock or whatever in gasket to allow it to totally dry out. We have the same appliances at our stores and never have an odor on the clothes we clean. (09/15/2010)

By Barbara Lev

Basket of musty smelling clothing.
Removing Musty Smell from Clothing
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Musty Shoes
Cleaning Musty Odors From Shoes
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Washing Machine
Musty Smell in a Washing Machine
🎄