Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

I got nail polish on my brand new $3000.00 sofa and I can't get it off. I didn't realize that the additional $300 warranty on the sofa's material covered everything, but nail polish. I immediately used cold water with a laundry detergent. That didn't work, so I tried nail polish remover. That didn't work, so I tried hairspray to no avail. Please help me before my hubby comes home and kills me!

Thank You,
Diana from Indiana

Answers:

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

Depending on what type of material it's made of and how big an area the polish covers, I'd spot test with fingernail polish remover. Or just call a pro furniture cleaner. Good luck. (05/17/2005)

By Kim

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

Diana, I think I would pack a suitcase and leave for a few days. Seriously, I hope you get it out. Bonnie (05/18/2005)

By bbartlein

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

First, I'm assuming the sofa is covered in cloth. If it is a leather sofa, the advice may also take the color out of the leather.

Make sure you use a nail polish remover with Acetone. Many of the removers don't have acetone anymore and you will probably need it to get out the spot. Usually the cheapest polish removers still have acetone.

You could also try lacquer thinner which would be available at the hardware store. Just be careful that you keep dabbing up the color so it doesn't spread. I'd use a soft cloth, some old rag made out of sheets or t-shirts. Put the thinner or remover on that and let it sit for a few minutes on the spot. Then wipe well with a clean cloth and try again until all of it is gone.

Calling a pro furniture cleaner is also a good idea. They may know of some methods that we don't.
Susan from ThriftyFun (05/18/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

Last night I was painting my 3 girls' nails. My middle daughter got the polish down and left it on the end table of the leather sofa. My oldest and I came around the corner to find the youngest pulling the brush out of the polish. I yelled and took off running. I grabbed the polish and noticed drops of polish all over the sofa. Shiny Silver! I took a wet rag and wiped it. It took only a bit off. I noticed the area I wiped lighter. I was sick. I knew polish remover only would take the stain off. I got on the internet and found things like baking soda, shaving cream, and ect. I read something about using polish remover, but making sure it had acetone. After a long time I took a Q-tip and put some polish remover on it. I thought I would try it on an area. On the arm it made a dramatic light spot. Yikes! Then I put it on the seat and wiped with a wet paper towel. It faded only a bit. At this time I thought it was still better looking then the polish. After I was done I could notice a pretty big change in the color. My sofa was a "Camel" color. I then remembered someone using balm to condition leather. I got some Vermont's Original Bag Balm and massaged it through and let it stay. It made the leather's color even out a lot! Also leaving it so nice and soft. I swear it is the same stuff Dr. Martin uses for there leather shoe conditioner. This worked for me and I was at the point of giving up and getting something to just cover the sofa. Again, this was dime size spots. (03/22/2006)

By Shannon

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

The same thing happened to us, and the only thing that works is vaseline.

By Lenore

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

ACETONE! I'm not sure hwo to spell it, but it takes it right off. I had the same situation but my dad was coming home. (10/04/2006)

By ashley

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

I called a professional and they said Acetone and that they would only be doing what I could do, nothing more. Not to waste my money. So, I am going to try it. (10/11/2006)

By Andrea

Two girls putting on nail polish on a couch.
Removing Nail Polish Stains From a Couch
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
Nail Polish Remover Stain on Leather
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Stains on Leather
Nail Polish
Removing Nail Polish from Wood Furniture
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
🎉
🎄