Removing Nail Polish from Clothing

Nail polish stains can be removed from clothing with a number of products. Choosing the best one for the fabric is important. This is a guide about removing nail polish from clothing.

January 25, 2017 Flag

A woman in a grey sweater doing a manicure on herself.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Depending on the fiber content of your sweater there are differing methods for removing a nail polish stain. This is a guide about removing nail polish from a sweater.

May 30, 2015 Flag

Earlier today I stupidly applied glitter polish on my toenails right before I started my yoga class and apparently one of my nails hadn't fully dried yet and stained the back of my new workout leggings! I came here to try and find a solution and unfortunately we don't have any oven cleaner or acetone-free nail polish remover in the house at the moment, so my husband made a mixture of dishwashing liquid and white vinegar and applied it with a cotton bud to the stain. After a couple of minutes of gentle rubbing I rinsed it and it had lessened significantly! He continued applying and after the second rinsing there's almost nothing left. A few of the glitter grains even came off while I was rinsing. Hope it works for you!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 10, 2015 Flag

How do I get dried nail polish off my 98%cotton 2% spandex jeans? They are my favorite pair of ripped jeans and I tried the hairspray method, nail polish remover method, and I am currently going to try the Windex method. Is there a better way to get it out? I haven't washed or dried them yet in the laundry. Please help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

No promises that it will work, but try straight acetone. It can be purchased at beauty supply or home improvement stores. It is the main ingredient in nail polish remover.

Get plenty of paper towels or a few old towels. put the stain face down on a towel on a protected surface. Pour a little acetone on the back of the stain, press gently with another towel. Keep moving to a new spot on the towels or keep replacing the paper towels, and repeat until as much has come out as possible.

Then pretreat with a stain remover and launder. I say no promises it will work, because even though the acetone will remove all the solvents from the polish (the part that makes polish dry hard, shiny, and waterproof) and some of the pigment, but it may not remove all the pigment. That is where the stain remover comes in, because it will remove more pigment after all the solvent has been removed. But, it may not remove all the pigment, either.

Pigments by themselves are rather tricky and some like to bond to things more than others. But it will lighten the stain considerably. At this point you haven't much to lose, either it will come out completely, or it won't. Good luck!

Best Answer

Have you tried the old ice cube trick? It's pretty basic but works a treat for globs of chewing gum and dried nail varnish.

Simply hold an ice cube directly against the glob for several minutes (to freeze the glob). Then use a piece of hard plastic (credit card or driving license edge, putty knife, spatula, etc) to 'flick' or chip away the glob.

January 13, 2011 Flag

I had a drop of nail polish get on a pair of khaki pants and tried nail polish remover to get it out and it didn't work. Then I tired soap and water and that didn't get it out. How can I get the polish out even after the polish has dried on the pants?

By Pumpkin

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am able to get paint out of my clothing by using a small scrubber paint brush. A small one, by dipping it in paint remover. Kut-zit or any paint stripper and letting a drop sit for 1 min. then scrubbing it off with the brush. Sometimes it comes off with one try and sometimes it takes a few tries by wiping it off with cloth and repeating it, then wash garment. Hope this helps.

"Awesome can be bought at Family Dollar Stores. It is in the cleaner department.

September 2, 2011 Flag

How can I remove a small nail varnish stain from a T shirt?

By Chris from Heathfield, UK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You may be able to remove it with nail polish remover, but try this on a hidden spot first. I don't think it will hurt a tee shirt, but I made a bad situation worse when I used it on a polyester dress, made a much bigger spot.

October 10, 2014 Flag

how do I get gold nail polish out of a white dress?

By lilac

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 13, 2014 Flag

I spilled some glitter nail polish on a black top and I just can't get it off. A website said that it helps with nail polish remover, but it doesn't even work to get it off the nails!

Do you have any ideas how to get this off really quick?
I don't actually have much time, I'm planning to wear it on Saturday, so I need help ASAP!

By Marie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 5, 2013 Flag

Unfortunately all of my children's coats were washed and dried along with pink nail polish. Is there something I can put in the wash to quickly get the polish out of all the coats?

By Beezus

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 5, 2013 Flag

Unfortunately all of my children's coats were washed and dried :( along with pink nail polish. Is there something I can put in the wash to quickly get the polish out of all the coats?

By BMJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 4, 2011 Flag

How do I remove red nail polish on a cotton dress?

By Aida

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 23, 2010 Flag

How do I get nail polish off a sweatshirt?

By Denise from Coon Rapids, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 25, 2009 Flag

How do I remove nail polish from clothing after it has been washed?

By CFL013 from Summerville, SC

Answers:

Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

Mix: alcohol green soap and tea tree oil together in the right combination, and it will take it off with no damage to the clothes. There is a company that sells this item. (06/14/2009)

By DragonSlaveII

Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

Goof off, works very well. My two years old daughter spilled a nail polish on a Snow White dress, (that was a moment). Goof off works great plus some elbow grease(you have to rub it a little) Do not forget to put some gloves on, this chemical has very strong smell and somewhat toxic, however it doesn't ruin the fabric.
Good luck (07/21/2009)

By sofico76

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Tried bug spray,hair spray_turpentine, paint thinner,and awesome- nothing made a dent in even closely removing pink polish from dark wash legging jeans? What else you got?

January 13, 2011 Flag

How do I get nail polish off clothes?

By Gretchen from Darien, CT

Answers:

Removing Nail Polish from Clothing

My daughter got black nail polish out of her beige Berber carpet with Windex by soaking the spot, blotting with a clean rag and repeating until it was gone, Then she shampooed the rug to get the residue out. This might work on clothes. If the garment is unwearable, you have nothing to lose. If you decide to try this, test the Windex on an unseen part of the garment to make sure it won't fade the color. (12/13/2010)

By Omanana

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 13, 2010 Flag

Anyway to remove fingernail polish from clothes and a rug?

By Stacey from Reno

Answers:

Removing Nail Polish from Clothing

I spilled hot pink nail polish on my beige carpeting and used regular shaving cream to get it out. It worked like a charm! (09/02/2010)

By beththechef

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 1, 2010 Flag

I spilled purple nail polish on my new white pants. I need a way to get it out without costing a lot. I found out nail polish remover smears and my mom put some face cream on it that bleaches clothes, but I need something to get it out completely.

By Rebecca from Colorado Springs

Answers:

Removing Nail Polish from Clothing

Being it is white, it should be easier. Keep using non acetone nail polish remover, turn it inside out and remove that way. You don't want to push it through the layers of fabric, have a wash cloth on the part to absorb it, use a small size rag, finger dip and rub. Then when done, rub liquid like Era, or Wisk on it, then wash. (06/02/2010)

By T&T Grandma

Removing Nail Polish from Clothing

If you can't get it out, try covering it up with a sewn on applique or other decoration. (06/03/2010)

By ChloeA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 28, 2010 Flag

My daughter spilled nail polish on her shirt. Is there any way that I can remove it? I tried nail polish remover and that didn't work, it just smeared the nail polish a little. Thanks for any help I can get, as this was a shirt that she got from my mom for Christmas.

By Crystal from LA

Answers:

Removing Nail Polish from Clothing

The nail polish remover will most likely smear the polish further over the fabric. Is the polish in a place where you could sew a flower type patch, cute little bug, etc. To cover it? Try the notion section in the sewing department to find these. Good luck to you. (01/07/2010)

By Amandablue

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 26, 2010 Flag

Have you ever had a bad nail polish stain? Well, I got a very bad one on my brand new shirt. I called my aunt and she didn't know what to do, but suggested that I spray hairspray on it and rub it with my nail.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 11, 2009 Flag

I'm an Activity Director at a nursing home. I was painting finger nails and one of the polish bottles broke. I have it on my white pants and a dark purple top. How do I get this out?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 4, 2009 Flag

My brother just washed and dried all my children's laundry with nail polish. It is all over everything. How can I quickly get this out? Is there something I can pour into the washer?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 2, 2009 Flag

Both my daughters managed to get nail polish on their clothes. The dress is thin cotton, and the skirt is tracksuit material. What can I use to remove the nail polish?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 7, 2009 Flag

How do you remove nail polish from a little girls dress?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 25, 2009 Flag

I recently got red nail polish on white linen shorts. Panicking I used acetone nail polish remover, which didn't work along with (this was dad's suggestion) paint thinner, with no avail before crying for about 20 min over my favorite and nicest article of clothing.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
A nail polish brush dripping.
Removing Nail Polish From Fabric
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJanuary 25, 2017
A bottle of nail polish spilled on a white background.
Removing Nail Polish From Synthetic Fabrics
Removing Nail Polish From a Sweater
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
Two girls doing their nails on a pink comforter.
Removing Nail Polish From a Comforter
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 9:49:26 PM on 10.0.2.237 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.