Removing Nicotine Stains from Window Frames

We have purchased a small house and the previous owner was a heavy smoker. I am trying to remove the stains from the window frames (newer windows that tilt in for cleaning). I am not trying to remove all the stains from the walls. I will be painting with paint that has an odor block, primer, and color. The other problem is that I am asthmatic. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

By Jane J from Cherokee, IA

Answers:

Although I haven't used such for the particular circumstance you described, the "Mr. Clean Eraser" sponge-like cleaning helpers are amazing for removing all kinds of stuff from solid surfaces. You can buy a small package of 4 for only a few dollars and if they don't work for this particular problem, they will work on all kinds of other household messes so you won't be wasting the money spent. Simply rinse and wring them out and go to work, keep rinsing and wringing out as necessary to tackle a cleaning project. They eventually wear themselves down and then you can toss them.

Of course every case of asthma is different, but I have a mild condition and these "Mr. Clean Erasers" cause me no problems. As well, they are not scented either, something for those that have chemical allergies (like me) to consider, as well. Good luck! (11/15/2010)

By KansasCindy

Use soap, dishwashing liquid is good. Lather it up well and you will see the soap turn brown. Rinse and keep doing it until the brown goes away. Then clean with window cleaner to shine the glass and take away any soap smears. It is not easy to get rid of nicotine built up from years of smoking. (11/16/2010)

By Lilac

Use Lysol Basin Tub and Tile cleaner. We bought a camper that had been owned by a chain smoker, the camper was awful. (I am asthmatic also.) I sprayed the walls down (actually soaked them), then wiped them down with paper towels. I feel certain it would work with glass. You might have to wear a mask, make sure the vents and windows are open for ventilation.
Good luck. (11/16/2010)

By missysmom

Gold picture frame.
Cleaning Picture Frames
Ashtray Full of Cigarettes
Removing Nicotine Stains on Clothing
Making Decorative Photo Frames
Making Decorative Picture Frames
Hand holding a smoking cigarette.
Cleaning Nicotine from Wood Furniture
🎄